Author Topic: Saddle related problems  (Read 28353 times)

vik

Re: Saddle related problems
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2009, 04:28:41 pm »
Next October I turn 60 and if I manage to succesfully complete the Pyrenees trip I want to reward myself with something substantial, not a Harley Davidson or a Mazda MX5.
Which bike would you recommend ?

Arnaud

Arnaud - I'd be happy to throw some bike suggestions your way, but you need to narrow the field a tad.  What type of bikes would you consider?

- road bike
- mountain bike
- touring bike
- cargo bike
- Fat tire bike

safe riding,

Vik
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

Arnaud

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2009, 09:46:50 pm »
Hi Vik,

Fast and light as a good road bike...
Comfortable as a RST...
Uncomplicated as a Rohloff...
Beautiful as a Colnago Master Light...

I suppose a Van Nicholas Amazon Rohloff would come close.
Are they actually made in Holland or do the frames come from Taiwan ?
Can you visit the factory and choose/order on site ?

Today and tomorrow the temperature will again rise to 40c, here in York - Western Australia.

Arnaud

Brendan

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2011, 02:06:17 pm »
I used a Brooks B17 on a 600-mile tour of Iceland and for training and commuting before and after, for a total of about 3,000 miles. It was really comfy even on wash-board roads and long days, but I wrecked it later by riding it while the leather was wet (after the bike had been parked in the rain), and stretching the leather with my weight so that the saddle lost support. The B17 can be used in wet weather, but should either have a nice warm bum or a rain cover on it.

Bearbait

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2011, 03:29:40 pm »
I have tried a comfort/non-nose saddle.  I don't like it.  The height and the angle had to be perfect.  even then, it seemed to throw off the whole geometry of the bike and make riding more difficult. I'm going back to traditional.  The prostrate is over rated in any event.

Thomas SH

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2011, 08:16:57 am »

One thing is choosing the right bicycle to suit your needs, but many people forget, that choosing the right saddle is just as important. My currant bike is a Raleigh Tourist Deluxe with a Brooks leather saddle. – Sure it looks cool, but after some time, I realized that I was ruining all of my jeans.

Apparantly the edge of the Brooks saddle was chewing through my jeans, – and five pairs of designer jeans are quite a bit more expensive than a Brooks leather saddle.

Well anyhow my old Raleigh (which I had for 10 years) really needed to be put on pension, so I started scoping the market for a new bicycle. I was still on the lookout for a city/trekking bike, due to the fact that these bikes are really convenient in the city. I live in Copenhagen, Denmark and picking up the kids from school, going grocery shopping og surviving the harsh treatment of the Danish night life is a tall order if you don't have the right equipment.

I wasn't willing to invest more than 3-400 $ (US), but on the other hand I needed a quality bike that could last at least 5 years. So I checked out some bike stores in CPH and all the bikes that suited my needs cost about 6-700 $.

So I visited Denmarks largest bicycle store: Coop Nettorvet - Cykler (which means bicycles in Danish), which had some super offers:

http://www.nettorvet.dk/kategori/sport-og-fritid/cykler-og-tilbehoer

I found a city bike, which might not be the most masculin bike in the world, but it had everthing I needed. The bike was priced at 300 $ (a real bargain), and inspite of the low price, it was certified by European standards for quality and safety, which is good when you're planning to pick up the kids. in a situation like that you want something that is secure.

I've had the bike for about a year now, and the real upside is, that I'm not ruining my jeans any more. The saddle is comprised of an elastic silicon material and a soft gel-like substance inside, – and apparantly thats not as though on my jeans as the Brooks saddle. However I must admit the Brooks Saddle looked way cooler, but sometimes you can't have everything, right?

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2011, 01:12:04 pm »
Apparently the edge of the Brooks saddle was chewing through my jeans,

I have a Brooks Champion Flyer Special saddle on my Thorn. On the Special model, Brooks "skives" the edge of the leather. This puts a taper right about where your legs rub against the saddle. I don't know the purpose of this, but I suspect it would help reduce the stress on whatever pants a person wears riding.

The ride saddle is definitely a top priority in getting a bike to work right!