Author Topic: quality simple barbag wanted.  (Read 3317 times)

jags

quality simple barbag wanted.
« on: May 24, 2014, 09:54:03 am »
anyone  using a really good quality simple barbag thats doesnt need a fixing bracket like ortlieb or clikfix.
maybe just straps.i dont want to pack the kitcken sink  only all the usual stuff.

jags.

John Saxby

Re: quality simple barbag wanted.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 05:23:30 pm »
Hi anto,

I used one of these for several years on my city bike, a hybrid:

http://shop.bushtukah.com/product/axiom-adirondack-handlebar-bag-156180-1.htm#.U4DGcS_gUeY

I took this link from a local supplier -- not sure if Axiom is available in Ireland/UK.  Their stuff is reasonably good quality, not as good as Arkel or Ortlieb, but a lot less expensive. The C$ 17.00 (VAT extra) price of this item is about € 11.

Hope this is useful,

John

jags

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 05:59:15 pm »
Thanks John looks to be spot on.i really don't want to go fixing a bracket to bars.is that american site ,i'll ask my son in america if he can get it for me.
thanks for the link  8)

anto.

JenM

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 07:19:47 pm »
No need to go to the States - it can be bought from SJS Cycles. I was looking at it only the other day. Here is the link:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/axiom-adirondack-handlebar-bag-05-litre-prod28078/

jags

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 08:03:45 pm »
Thanks a million Jen never thought to look  ::)

jags.

John Saxby

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 11:46:55 pm »
Thanks, Jen, for your detective work.  Jags, the Adirondacks are an eroded massif in Northern NY state, a spur of the granite of the Canadian Shield just a few hours' drive south of where we live in Ottawa (and just north of Jim K's spot in the Catskills). Lovely area--I used to go hiking there quite a lot, and used to accompany our son's hockey team when they'd go to Lake Placid every now & then to win a tournament.

I believe Axiom is a US brand.  The bag is well made, light, and fits to your bike by three loops, two over the bars with plastic friction buckles, and a velcro wrap-around your steering-head tube at the lower back of the bag.  Nice wee shoulder strap to carry it, too, à la man-purse.

I have seen squarish variants of this, but not at a store -- only on rental bikes in NYC.

Axiom make a reasonable line of panniers--I use them on my city bike for schlepping groceries.  Best feature is their price, about 25-30% of what you'd pay for Arkels.

Cheers,

J.

jags

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 10:08:00 am »
Cheers John, yip it looks exactly what i'm looking for.
i logged on to sjs to buy it but it wanted my credit card number always helps i suppose,
but the wife holds the purse and she is on holidays  so cant buy until she gets back.
i have her spoiled rotten  sending her off to the sun, and boy will i get a lecture when i tell her i want to buy a bag. ::)

jags.