Author Topic: Chainring wear for Rohloff bikes  (Read 2757 times)

Team Triplet

Chainring wear for Rohloff bikes
« on: October 08, 2006, 05:22:48 pm »
With a single chain ring on a Rohloff, it is being used all the time unlike a typically triple system whereby the wear is shared across three rings.  In simple terms I am having to change a chain every 2 years, whereas with a triple they would last 5 to 6 years.

Are there alternatives chainrings I can get as a replacement eg steel or hardened Al to reduce wear which could be used.  I am using a Shimano Deore chain set with 44 teeth chain ring.

What have others used?

Beave

Re: Chainring wear for Rohloff bikes
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 10:19:18 pm »
I'm using a 40T FSA and it's been 1000 miles with no wear so far. I look forward to it wearing down as I'd like to replace it with a 38T for a better singletrack climber. I'd probably stick with FSA again.

Beave

PH

Re: Chainring wear for Rohloff bikes
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 09:58:23 am »
I'm just over 10,000 miles on the original Thorn chainring, I expect it to do another 10,000 miles when I turn it round.  With a perfect chainline that's what I'd expect, what are you doing to yours?  If you want to try steel, Highpath Engineering will sort you out.

EDIT - Ah yes I remember what you're doing with yours, running it covered in mud[:0]
My front mudflap almost touches the ground, so the drive stays pretty clean.  It makes a massive difference on any bike.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 09:02:56 pm by PH »