Author Topic: Bicycle "facilities": you'll die laughing  (Read 1587 times)

Andre Jute

Bicycle "facilities": you'll die laughing
« on: May 22, 2014, 09:47:43 pm »
Bicycle "facilities": you'll die laughing.
http://bollocksinfra.tumblr.com/page/3

julk

Re: Bicycle "facilities": you'll die laughing
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 11:08:04 pm »
Great stuff Andre.

It just shows how resilient cyclists are to survive this sort of ‘cycling provision’.

I can recommend the WarringtonCycleCampaign site for more laughs.
Julian.

John Saxby

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 11:31:26 pm »
Brilliant, hilarious, tragic stuff -- thanks, Andre.  I see that most of these photos were taken on Sept 18, 2013, a heavy one-day intake of evidence that They are trying to kill us. I don't want to think of the cumulative effect on the cyclist-photographer: I mean, it's a public service, to be sure, what with the warnings of danger and the slightly hysterical laughter induced in readers, but how much of this sort of thing can its creator take?  If it were me, I'd have fallen into a deep pit of black despair, a slough of despond well over my head & probably full of poisonous agricultural runoff to boot.

Maybe I'll pause some more before setting forth onto the bikepaths of Foggie Olde...

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 12:32:04 am »
I can recommend the WarringtonCycleCampaign site for more laughs.

I'm moving to Minsk, just for that banked turn! 
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/wcc/facility-of-the-month/November2010.htm 

Thanks you so much, Julian!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 01:57:24 am by Andre Jute »

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 01:48:12 am »
Where I live a bike a lane is the space around me I can reach with my trusty 300mm Abus Granit x U-lock, which makes a very effective three-pound hammer.

But the nearby city of Cork is much more civilized. They have a bike lane, and, recognizing the realities, have built it to lead straight to the excellent Accident & Emergency department at Cork University Hospital. Here you can see this most thoughtful of cycle facilities. The road is the main drag to the dormitory communities of West Cork, the most trafficked road out of Cork (the photo was taken in the dead period between rush hours -- in the rush hour it's rather like NASCAR, shortening tempers bumping to pass). On my right as I take the photograph, is a bus shelter. Across the road is Cork University Hospital, where the young residents refer to cyclists as "organ donors". You can see the bicycle lane approaching, until it er-- just stops and er-- becomes the bus lane. Helpfully the bicycle lane continues in the middle of the road (at the extreme left of the photo, about halfway up), to turn right to A&E. Just in case any motorists haven't yet understood the message that they should run over the cyclists attempting to cross their space to "join" the two cycle lanes (those cyclists whom the buses swerving left to the stop haven't collected), there's a helpful white arrow on the road guiding the motorists into the lane the cyclists must cross...