Author Topic: John O' Groats to Lands End  (Read 11561 times)

bikerta

Re: John O' Groats to Lands End
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2014, 06:46:59 pm »
Hi everyone, just a quick post at the moment to let you all know that I have just returned from completing my John O Groats to Lands End challenge. 1170 miles in 3 weeks and 2 days, so averaging around 50 miles a day. I had a fabulous time with a few difficult moments but overall an amazing experience. I have met some exceptional people along the way who have gone out of their way to help in one way or another, and it looks like I will have raised almost £1,300 for Air Ambulance.

Feeling absolutely great with no aches or pains whatsoever, not even any saddle sores. If I had the time I would have ridden home from Lands End, but as it was friends of mine were in Newquay for the week and they were coming home yesterday. I arrived at Lands Ends at exactly the same time as they arrived to pick me up so brilliant. Very emotional at the end, couldn't believe I had done it.

The Sherpa was as brilliant as I knew it would be and coped with whatever I threw at it and NOT 1 PUNCTURE!!!    Did lots of off road especially around the Fort William area and many canal paths and the bike was perfect for this type of riding. Weather wise it was a very mixed bag. Most of Scotland was not bad, with some heavy showers but nothing that spoilt the trip. One night of heavy rain overnight, but again nothing to spoil things. However, Hurricane Bertha hit as I arrived in the Lake District and caused all sorts of problems including flooding me out of my tent overnight and me having to sleep in my sleeping bag in an old armchair in a campers kitchen area (thank god the site had one).  Arriving at the top of Kirkstone Pass to gusts of up to 70mph winds was quite exciting too!!

Midges only really caused problems on a couple of nights and were better than expected, mainly I think because there was nearly always a breeze.

Met a young lad on the Strawberry Line near Yatton doing Lands End to John O Groats on a Thorn Nomad and also 2 girls riding from Bristol to Lands End, 1 of whom was riding a Thorn Sherpa, red like mine but an older model and we camped next to each other. Camped most of the time, but had 1 night B & B when a camp site was not to be found, and 1 night in a Hostel. Have eaten loads, especially enjoying the local village bakeries goods, cornish pasties, and many variations on my morning porridge, but still managed to lose weight.

I will try and load some pictures and do a bit more of a report soon, but at the moment I have come home and the lead for my camera has vanished. My son has done loads of tidying up for me but doesn't remember moving the cable, but can't think where else I would have put it apart from by the computer. I'm sure it will turn up though.

jags

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2014, 07:05:08 pm »
fantastic  Jacki fair play to you girl your a star.really look forward to looking at all the photos.

jags

Rockymountain

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2014, 07:20:34 pm »
Many congratulations - it sounds like a great ride.

Fraser

allywatt

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2014, 07:23:05 pm »
Well done Jackie. I finished LEJOG two weeks ago (1117 miles in 18 days, Nomad mk 2). It's the only type of holiday I know of that you can eat all you can eat and still come home lighter!  Any ideas of what challenge next awaits? All the best.

alfie1952

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2014, 07:52:14 pm »
Well done Jackie, sounds as though you had an excellent and adventurous  time, also well done for raising all that cash for your chosen charity the air ambulance. Glad you're back safe and sound, and am looking  forward to the photographs .

Regards Alfie

phopwood

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2014, 08:15:27 pm »
Very well done I am very proud of you.

Peter

geocycle

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2014, 09:05:32 pm »
Great stuff, was just thinking about how you survived the hurricane!

Andre Jute

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2014, 09:06:05 pm »
Well done, Jackie! We're so proud of you.

Swislon

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2014, 09:06:32 pm »
Fantastic Jackie, congratulations and a brilliant effort for the Air Ambulance.
Looking forward to seeing the photos and reading your report.
Brilliant!

Steve

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2014, 04:27:02 am »
totally inspiring! I just love hearing stories like this! Congratulations and thanks for the report!

julk

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2014, 08:23:21 am »
Congratulations and glad you enjoyed the trip, where next?
Julian.

Neil Jones

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2014, 08:45:11 am »
Well done Jackie, fantastic achievement and for a good cause too.
Sounds like your Sherpa served you well. Can't wait to see some photos of your trip.
Regards, Neil.

Peejay

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2014, 11:42:08 am »
Hi Jackie - well done on your end to end ride.

I did it the other way earlier this year on my Thorn Raven - like you no problems whatsoever with the bike, just a chain clean and lube every 200 miles or so.

Check the link out - http://deesidewheelers.simdif.com

Bike weighed 32.6 kgs loaded up.

Raised over £5,000 for the Walton Neuroscience Fund in Liverpool.

Regards, Pete.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 11:46:38 am by Peejay »

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2014, 08:46:18 am »
Well done, Jackie! (and Pete, and everyone else that has completed this trip). Respect!!!

I am very impressed, humbled, and JEALOUS!

:D

jags

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2014, 10:36:05 am »
Hi Jackie - well done on your end to end ride.

I did it the other way earlier this year on my Thorn Raven - like you no problems whatsoever with the bike, just a chain clean and lube every 200 miles or so.

Check the link out - http://deesidewheelers.simdif.com

Bike weighed 32.6 kgs loaded up.

Raised over £5,000 for the Walton Neuroscience Fund in Liverpool.

Regards, Pete.

epic ride pete fair play to you the photos are fantastic,that scotland sure is one pretty place to ride a bike.
well done

jags 8)