Author Topic: how crucial are low-loaders to touring comfort/experience?  (Read 11453 times)

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
Re: how crucial are low-loaders to touring comfort/experience?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 09:15:24 am »
Hi all here is a little more about good bike loading  ;)

Kiwi Pete....

pollypp asked:

Hey guys, I like seeing your pictures very much. The AWOL-bikes seem to be great and you are going on impressive tours. But: Is the any advantage in carrying so much luggage on the front wheel instead of putting most of it on the rear-wheel?

wearegoingawol answered:

/ Hi,

One of the more common questions and the answer is simple. Because it sucks for anything else than riding on a flat, smooth surface on you way to the corner store. For any other riding, loads up front gives superior handling.

As soon as You get up from the saddle, climbing or accelerating, the loaded rear will start swaying out of rhythm and behave like a heavy pendant or tail. Climbing with a load in the front makes the bike handle like a normal bike since the load is balanced around the front hub and the headset pivot.

Descending with a bike loaded front and low stabilizes the ride further. Front and low for smooth surfaces and front and as low as possible for more gnarly terrain. Rule of thumb: 2 panniers only, always in the front - low, never in the rear. 4 panniers, front and back, as low a possible.

Try it out yourself!

/ Team AWOL

« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 09:28:28 am by NZPeterG »
The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ

Pavel

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 06:22:43 pm »
NZPeterG ... I really like that tan bag in the first photo.  I have no experience with a setup like the OP is asking about but am interested in the topic myself.  I would think that versus the traditional low riders plus handlebar bag the tradeoffs in handling with somewhat higher front bags plus a bag mounted as you have shown would be similar in handling.  I really like it because I would like to lose the handle bar bag.  If find that I can't keep things level even with a bag such as the Carradice I have and things shift around too much to keep organized.  with the handlebar bag such as the Ortlieb with its rounded bottom - it was completely infuriating.

This seems like a great idea.

Hoodatder

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 11:27:41 pm »
Hi NZPeterG,

Can you tell me which models and manufacturers you used for the front racks in your photo's of the silver and orange bikes please?

Did you have to alter them drastically or were they quite easy to modify?

I suppose there is only 1 height for the panniers?

Is there a fixing lug at the front to accept a front light?

I don't mind if I have to fanny around with them - providing the end result looks ok.

Thanks for your info and time.

Hoot