Author Topic: Tyre recommendation  (Read 7386 times)

robert-S

Tyre recommendation
« on: May 08, 2014, 02:43:10 pm »
I have a Raven Discovery tandem - it has Panaracer Pasela PT 47-559 tyres. Always pumped to within the recommended pressure range.
Twice I've found failure in the sidewall of the rear tyre. Since we are going on a cycle tour on this machine in the next fortnight, I'd kind of like to replace the tyres with a different model. Any recommendations? I was thinking of Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour...

Robert

jags

Re: Tyre recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 03:05:35 pm »
you certainly wont have  sidewall problems with the plus  but be warned thay are heavy and in my experience there scatty on wet tarmac.my favourate in the scwalble range is  supreams great tyre.

jags.

where are you heading ;)

lewis noble

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 03:13:56 pm »
I have a Thorn Voyager tandem.  We fitted it with marathon Duremes - 2".  Brilliant - roll well, good on mixed surfaces and unmade roads, light and strong, no punctures.  I'm not sure what range is available now in the Duremes, but SJSC did have a tandem version available - whether that is different from the ones I bought 4 years ago I don't know.  I cannot fault them, but they are pricey.

I have used the Marathon Plus on solo bikes - a bit slow and heavy, but strong and puncture resistant.  My son has commuted on them for 2 years, city riding, no punctures (so far . . . .).  Good value.

I have never had a sidewall go on a Pasela, but others have I think.  I have found them rather prone to punctures, and I have swapped entirely to Schwalbe.

Good luck!!

Lewis

robert-S

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 10:19:40 am »
Thanks for the advice. I've ordered a pair of the Marathon Duremes!

Robert

fleur

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 10:55:22 pm »
We have the Marathon Dureme Tandem on the rear wheel of our Pino tandem.

It is a great tire, the difference with the discontinued regular Marathon Dureme, is an higher maximum allowed load.

The Marathon Dureme Tandem also disappeared from the Schwalbe catalog in 2014 but can still be found in stock at several online shops.

What is also nice, is that the Dureme Tandem is a folding tire, easy to carry as a spare tire.

The combination of a strong, high maximum allowed load (145kg), folding and relatively lightweight tire makes the Marathon Dureme Tandem unique.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 11:00:17 pm by fleur »

robert-S

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 09:28:30 am »
The Duremes arrived yesterday. They seem pretty good, had to tweak the front mudguard to give enough clearance (because the mudguard narrows where it passes under the fork crown).

Now we should be set for our first proper tour on this tandem.

Robert

jags

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 10:14:14 am »
have fun ;)