Author Topic: A contrast in cycling routes  (Read 5356 times)

jags

A contrast in cycling routes
« on: May 03, 2014, 09:22:00 pm »
yeah my audax aint going to far either  ;D just around the country lanes of co louth .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29W4Ogl0YS4

one of my routes lovely.

jags.

phopwood

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 07:03:52 am »
Jags,

That's a nice part of the world you are very lucky to cycle there.

Peter

jags

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 11:10:41 am »
Cheers peter yeah its lovely i have a few  lovely routes,  i do my best to stay well away from the main roads drivers hear are feckin mental at times.
a lot of people compair one place with another i never do i appreciate whats around me in my eyes its all nice.and if the sun and wind is on my back  i'm in heaven ;)

jags.

phopwood

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 07:44:29 pm »
Too right, one's man's local is another man's distant land.  The adventure for me is getting out and cycling.  I have a bunch of circular routes I cycle all, away from traffic.

That said I cycle in London every week just to add some extra adventure.

Peter.

jags

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 09:09:40 pm »
i worked in london in the 80's i to cycled to work  ;D ;D
you learn plenty of new bike skills prety quick ;)

alfie1952

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 08:55:23 pm »
Hi Peter & Jags

If it's excitement you want, try cycling the new tram route in Edinburgh. If the trams won't get you ,I'm sure the tracks will, especially you Jags with the thinner road tyres. Quite a few accidents already and the trams don't start running fully until the end of this month.

Alfie

phopwood

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 09:19:19 pm »
Have they finally finished the team route, how much over due is it.  It's funny you say this we were in Blackpool the other week and there was some joker cycling along the team route, when just a few yards away was a nice cycle path. But at least he was facing on coming trams.

Peter

jags

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 09:32:47 pm »
no thanks alfie smooth tarmac when ever i can find some .

jags

Donerol

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 10:19:46 pm »
Have they finally finished the team route, how much over due is it.  It's funny you say this we were in Blackpool the other week and there was some joker cycling along the team route, when just a few yards away was a nice cycle path. But at least he was facing on coming trams.

In Edinburgh they have cleverly combined the tramlines and the cycle path. It's better to ride in the same direction as the tram, though.

::)  ::)

phopwood

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 10:22:36 pm »
Wow.  No further comment to make.

Peter

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 10:27:27 pm »
In Edinburgh they have cleverly combined the tramlines and the cycle path.
Yikes!  :o  How could this possibly be a Good Idea?

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 11:13:43 pm »
are they having a laugh. :o

Andre Jute

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 02:27:34 am »

It's a bicycle lane left over from penny-farthing days, before trams, just about when the so-called "safety bicycle" was coming in. Then they built the tram lines over the signage, and they have protected the script. English Heritage and the United Nations are working hard to have it declared a World Heritage Site.

Typical.

phopwood

Re: A contrast in cycling routes
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 07:27:01 am »
It's a bicycle lane left over from penny-farthing days, before trams, just about when the so-called "safety bicycle" was coming in. Then they built the tram lines over the signage, and they have protected the script. English Heritage and the United Nations are working hard to have it declared a World Heritage Site.

Oh I will visit the sight to watch the reenactments of people falling off and then the after show of insurance claims.

Peter

John Saxby

Re: A contrast in cycling routes
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 03:21:45 pm »
Ummmm, maybe they sent a high-priced technical mission to Berlin to see how they do it there, only to learn later that the HPTM didn't quite get the sequence right:

Start with the boulevard divider in the middle: check

Tram tracks beside divider: check

Beside the tram tracks, a lane of motor traffic, maybe even two on the wide streets:  check

Then a bike lane beside the sidewalk:  "Whaaa? ... Dang!  What were we thinking??" (Heel of hand to forehead, hard.) "I knew there was something amiss.  Must've got lost in the translation somehow, from driving on the right to driving on the left... Ah well, what's done is done, & the cyclists will just have to compensate."