Author Topic: New Sherpa is finally here  (Read 7960 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: New Sherpa is finally here
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 05:07:16 pm »
...how often do you waken during the night to have a sneak peek at it?
I did/do that! Went out the livingroom to see if it was still there by the fireplace and to pet it occasionally so it wouldn't feel lonely before the morning ride.  :D  Seymour the Nomad gets similar treatment, still.

Best,

Dan.

janeh

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 05:59:27 pm »
Lovely! Glad you like it!

bikerta

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 08:59:27 pm »
Thanks for all the great comments. Have gone quiet on the site as I have been working long hours which is really annoying, so no riding today. Can't wait until the weekend.

Did stare at the bike for ages before going off to sleep last night.

The bars are the Thorn Flat Tracker, which have a 5 degree pull back I think, so not completely straight and yes you are right they are the Ergon GP5s. The bars have been cut to 580mm and they feel just about right for the width. I just feel so much more confident on the bike than I did on the Dawes and definitely easier to control with the straight bars. I have got a bike computer to fit, so I can keep track of the mileage and also a Carradice Barley bag for short day trips.

I then need to look out for some front panniers. I have the yellow Ortlieb classic rear panniers and handlebar bag, so will probably get the same for the front. I also need a front light as I could not afford to go for a Son Hub set up. The money aspect is a huge commitment, but as you say it does feel less important now I have the bike.

I know that if I look after the frame, then the bike could be a friend for many, many years.

Jackie

jags

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2014, 09:57:08 pm »
its a cracker  best of luck with it.as for lights i have the cateye HDL540 great light very wide bright bean much better that dynamo ,but yeah its rechargable no big deal, try  rose bikes or bike discount for best price also cateye tail light is fantastic if  get the links to both i'l post them up.
happy trails.

jags.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv4E07Rn55Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzYmSGCEoGk
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 10:25:01 pm by jags »

John Saxby

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 01:42:08 am »
the bike could be a friend for many, many years

Jackie, there's a review of five years with a Sherpa on crazyguy which confirms your sense of things to come: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/reviews/board/message/?o=1&thread_id=565525&page=1&nested=0&v=14

'Mongst other things, Graham says he wishes he'd had a red bike!  (Of course, now he has, tho' not a Sherpa.)  Reckon your Sherpa, like my Raven, will take you pretty much anywhere you choose to go.

Cheers,

John

JWestland

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 12:51:06 pm »
Happy cycling!  ;D

FYI I picked up a used Shimano dynohub on Alex rims for £20 on e-bay. Yes, cheap rims, yes a Shimano has more drag but with 36 spoke wheels you can't really go wrong. Has helped me happily through the very dark greenway routes to see my wee man.

You do pay a weight/drag penalty, if your routes aren't too long Light and Motion lights are excellent and have a sidelight to be more visible to cars.
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)