Author Topic: suntour superbe pro pedal  (Read 5404 times)

alfie1952

suntour superbe pro pedal
« on: May 05, 2014, 08:43:49 pm »
Does anyone know where I can get parts for Suntour Superbe Pro pedals . I fitted them and went for a run. It seems that one of the domed spindle bolts has been lost. I am looking for a replacement as they are excellent pedals and I seem to be struggling to get parts.

Regards Alfie

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: suntour superbe pro pedal
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 09:13:49 pm »
...they are excellent pedals
They surely are, Alfie. I have six pairs of them and wouldn't part with them for the world. One pair has well over 28,000mi/45,000km and another 32,000mi/51,500km while yet another has nearly twice that. The combination of well-shielded deep-groove Conrad bearings for location and needle/roller bearings for longevity were a winning combination. I have the WTB GreaseGuard-licensed XC Pro version on my tandem.

The bearings themselves are available from bearing-supply houses. Though SunTour once had a tool available, you're on your own if needing to replace them these days. I could turn one down from billet pretty quickly.

Unfortunately, SunTour/Maeda Industries are long out of business, and as I recall MKS/Mikashima actually manufactured the pedals under contract for them. Some MKS parts will substitute, but I think you'll have your best luck using a buttonhead stainless allen bolt and washer. It won't be an exact match, but very close...especially if you replace it's opposite number in the other pedal. I don't recall for sure what it was threaded last time I had one apart, but I think it was M6x1.0. If not, then it was M5x0.8.

They're still available on eBay in various states and also from the JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) Keirin (paramutuel bike racing) sources. I see Hilary Stone has some that might polish up: http://www.hilarystone.com/pedals.html They have the track cages, but your quill cages could be swapped for them as the body is identical.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 08:01:22 am by Danneaux »

alfie1952

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 09:44:17 pm »
Hi Dan,

As you say, they are as scarce as hens teeth. but  are brilliant pedals so may try what you suggest.

Regards Alfie.

alfie1952

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 10:21:53 am »
Still looking if anyone can help. or will buy pedals if anyone selling a set.

Regards Alfie

alfie1952

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 03:24:47 pm »
STILL LOOKING FOR SPINDLE BOLT :(

REGARDS, ALFIE

alfie1952

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 01:23:03 pm »
SORTED.. went out for a short ride this morning and found the missing bolt in a pothole about 250 yards from my house...UNBELIEVABLE ;D ;D ;D

Alfie.

lewis noble

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 03:29:15 pm »
Amazing, Alfie!!

I keep finding odd washers / spacers on my garage floor, but something as important as your bolt, and in a pothole, is remarkable!!

Lewis

alfie1952

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 03:54:09 pm »
Hi Lewis,

I sopped to speak to a neighbour, and was pushing my bike, when I noticed the bolt in a shallow pothole. The amazing thing is I walked this route within the estate with my dog searching but not really expecting to find it. It definitely was not there before today as I had searched that bit of road. There is some marks as though it has been run over, but it cleaned up ok. I just find the whole thing incredible. Lottery ticket has already been  bought ;D ;D ;D

Regards,Alfie 

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 05:27:58 pm »
Wow! Nice work, just paying attention to the world around you... and recognizing what you see!

David Simpson

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 05:35:11 pm »
What a great story!  I once lost a small bolt from my pedal on the ride home from work on day.  I had heard the sound of metal dropping onto the ground, but it didn't register with me until I got home.  I searched the next day, but never did find it.  Congratulations on your find.

Lottery ticket has already been  bought ;D ;D ;D

I'm afraid that won't work.  You have already used up a lifetime's worth of luck.  :)

- Dave

jags

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 06:29:42 pm »
SORTED.. went out for a short ride this morning and found the missing bolt in a pothole about 250 yards from my house...UNBELIEVABLE ;D ;D ;D

Alfie.

fantastic bit of luck love it when things like that happen.. ;)
jags.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 10:03:00 pm »
Yayyy, Alfie!!! Good on ya!

Best,

Dan.