Author Topic: Advice needed about unusual spoke lacing pattern on Rohloff hub wheel.  (Read 4757 times)

macspud

I need some advice.
Would there be any negative effects in using a Rohloff hubbed wheel which has been laced with the drive side trailing spokes on the outside of the spoke flange and the non drive side trailing spokes on the inside of the spoke flange?
I know that this is not the correct way to lace a wheel. I am trying to decide whether it is worth while putting in an offer on a second hand wheel which is laced in this way. I knowing that it is a bad idea to change the spoke lacing pattern in the future as it may cause stress risers the wheel should probably be left this way.
Will the wheel being laced in this way cause some weird torsional stresses or is it nothing to worry about?

Regards,

Iain.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Hi Iain!

My one experience with such a wheel was a commercially-produced one years ago on my tandem. Under high torque loads or two people going uphill, the rim would move to one side enough to rub the brake pad on that side. I retrued and retensioned it and the problem persisted. I promptly replaced it with one I laced myself and the problem never recurred.

Yeah, it's not a great idea to change lacings on a hub for the reasons you mentioned.

Best,

Dan.

[EDIT: I went back and re-read what I wrote above and realized I wasn't clear: I *relaced*, retensioned and retrued the original wheel and the problem was solved when I used it in a brief trial. I then promptly replaced it with one I built properly from scratch and the problem never recurred.]
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 08:38:57 pm by Danneaux »

macspud

Yeah, it's not a great idea to change lacings on a hub for the reasons you mentioned.

Thanks for your input Dan.
Under high torque loads or two people going uphill, the rim would move to one side enough to rub the brake pad on that side.
That is exactly what I had thought might happen.

On the subject of relacing the wheel, having re-read the thread on Rohloff spoke lacing. Dan, you quoted from Forum member Paulson's own website, Flamme Rouge:

http://paulmor.wordpress.com/2011/01/14/new-rim-and-a-rohloff-spring-clean/

Postscript: A word of advice from Robin Thorn himself, who spotted the new lacing on my spokes in the above photo.  He points out that if you have a Rohloff hub and are having a new wheel built, then be aware that some wheels will have had the spokes laced in a different way to the way it is generally done now, certainly by Thorn.  If this is the case, then lacing the spokes in a different pattern to the way they were originally laced may mean that you end up with dents in the hub flange where the spokes used to sit at about 90 degrees to the current spokes. This is a potential stress riser and may cause flange failure.

As a rule, any hub (especially Rohloff) should be laced the way it was originally built, even if it means crossing the spokes the wrong way over the valve (caused by Euro or US staggered drillings).

Do you think that the problem with stress risers would be problematic if the spokes were reversed on one side so that the spokes would be going the same direction as before i.e. keeping holes with trailing spokes trailing but on the other side of the flange, your quote states that the problem is partly due to the spoke pulling at 90 degrees from the initial lacing. I'm yet to find any info on keeping the spokes pull direction unchanged but reversing the side of the flange it pulls from.

Regards,
Iain.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 10:35:04 pm by macspud »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Do you think that the problem with stress risers would be problematic if the spokes were reversed on one side so that the spokes would be going the same direction as before i.e. keeping holes with trailing spokes trailing but on the other side of the flange, your quote states that the problem is partly due to the spoke pulling at 90 degrees from the initial lacing. I'm yet to find any info on keeping the spokes pull direction unchanged but reversing the side of the flange it pulls from.
Hi Iain!

I was so intrigued academically by your question, I went out to the garage, got an old wheel, and deliberately re-laced it to match the one you're considering so I could speak about the situation firsthand.

I've not used a wheel built like this extensively, so I don't have accumulated firsthand empirical data to say for sure, but...

I *think* you would be more likely to have a good outcome (and avoid a bad one) by going about it this way, but do be aware...the now-reversed spoke heads will sit in pear-shaped beds, and the bends will seat on the opposite side of the same hole. Depending on the spokes used and how the bends were formed and the heads forged, there can be a fairly deep trough formed in the hub tangential to the hole, caused by the tensioned spoke.

Speaking of tensioning, I think the risk of flange failure -- after the initial tensioning (here it could all go Crab Louie and become a wheel salad) -- would be less with a tight wheel than a loose one, as the tension cycles on the loaded spokes would be lower in amplitude -- the tight spoke won't move as much with each pedal stroke.

This is all speculation on my part and not an endorsement, but I think -- depending on intended and actual use -- you would get away with it if the wheel is built with high, even spoke tension. That said, there's many contributors to flange stress. If you're a spinner with fast, light pedal strokes and souplesse, they're going to have an easy life. If you're a masher with hard, rhythmic strokes on the pedals, that's a lot of stress cycles. If you're carrying heavy touring loads, climbing hills, standing on the pedals, using low gears...well, all those increase the risk of a failure, especially if the spokes are on the loose side.

For the kind of heavily laden, solo, back-of-beyond expedition touring on poor roads and cross-country I sometimes do, I wouldn't want to risk it. If I were doing credit card touring, riding reasonably and tootling 'round on day rides, I'd figure on getting away with it for awhile, perhaps indefinitely with my light. hummingbird-like high cadence. In those more benign environs, a flange failure might be an inconvenience that either doesn't bother much till you get home (think: equivalent of a broken spoke or two) or imposes an immediate limit on your tour that requires other arrangements to get home.

Rohloffs can be rejacketed with new shells and the guts transferred, but it will cost you. If that's needed, then the present bargain wouldn't be much of a bargain after all. Replacing the shell can be a bit complicated, as Rohloff doesn't want stolen hubs rejacketed and so won't sell the new shells to you direct. Instead, you have to turn your hub in to an authorized dealer and pay them to swap the innards. For a conversation elsewhere that is tangentially (sorry!) related to all this, see: http://forums.mtbr.com/internal-gear-hubs/36-hole-speedhub-production-741399-2.html

One of the great virtues of the Rohloff hub is its overwhelming reliability. If you buy something that could compromise that, then it might not be worth the savings. OTOH, you could go for years or even decades without a problem, depending. I really can't say nor can anyone else, except to caution it would be better if the spokes had been laced correctly to begin with and didn't need to be reversed on the same shell.

Alternatively, you could use the hub as-is, and with even, high tensioning, the large flanges might prevent the torque-skewing I experienced on that 26in tandem wheel. That would be the most reliable approach, provided the rim stays put laterally under load. If you could try the wheel, you'd soon know or perhaps the seller would be candid enough to say. I suspect there may not be a problem, as the flanges are large, the spokes are short, and the rim small compared to, say, a 700C. Also, you might not develop the same peak torque loads as a loaded touring tandem pulling a trailer uphill under power in low gear by two people with in-phase cranks.

A final thought: So far as I know, Rohloff hub shells aren't forged with aligned grain structure. Instead, they are machined from billet by a sub-contractor under Rohloff's supervision. Grain-aligned forgings do allow a bit more leeway than billet machinings to try something sketchy without consequences.

Given my answer is largely conjecture, I think I'd try and find a similarly priced Rohloff without this lacing issue. They often show up at remarkably good prices *used* on German eBay, though of course without warranty and with unknown provenance. *New* prices there run €900-1100. Here's a custom search link for your convenience. http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC1.A0.H0.XRohloff+Speedhub&_nkw=Rohloff+Speedhub&_sacat=0&_from=R40
If the link breaks on wrapping, then try this TinyURL I made to get you to the same place: http://tinyurl.com/kzjqhak

I hope something in the above will prove helpful.

All the best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Iain,

A quick followup: Here's a Shimano Deore hub shell from 1989 that I built into a fully-tensioned 36-hole, 3x 700C wheel. It served well and faithfully with DT-Swiss spokes. The Deore of that era is a forged shell and was built with high, even tension. I grabbed the phone for this quick shot, but even so, I think it will give you an idea of the embossing that takes place on the flanges radiating outward from the spoke hole. At that time, DT-Swiss spoke heads had two forging marks on the underside and you can see those embossings as well in the second attached photo.

Here, where the spoke-flange embossing is not so bad, I would consider *reversing* the lacing for a general-use, lighter-duty wheel. That's not changing the lacing pattern, but reversing the heads.

I have seen the embossing go twice as deep with poorly drawn and forged spokes from worn dies and with softer flanges. It really is a matter of "your mileage may vary" unless you have the chance to see the hub shell and its flanges unspoked and alone. I heartily agree it is best to lace a wheel to the chosen pattern once and then follow that same pattern thereafter for subsequent rebuilds.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 12:40:45 am by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
By the way, really nice to see Paulson's Flammerouge site back up again! I've enjoyed it enormously over the years. Some superb photography and Thorn content there.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 01:20:33 am by Danneaux »

macspud

Dan,

Thank you for your very detailed reply and for having gone to so much trouble to check my query out.

I think that you are right and having contemplated on it I've come to the conclusion that I should give this one a miss. There always seems to be some reason not to go ahead with a purchase of a used Rohloff, there has to be a good saving on new price for it to be worth while taking the risk on a used one, they always either have obvious issues or the saving over new price is not enough.
I'm going to have to bite the bullet on getting a new one soon.

I had a look on german Ebay using your link and funnily enough there is a Rohloff wheel listed there that is laced in exactly the same way.
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231210224430&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:de

Both wheels are being used with disc brakes so any wobble caused may not have been noticed. I will be using rim brakes so wouldn't get away with the rim moving to the side under load.

Thanks again Dan for your considered and as always, helpful advice.

Regards,
Iain.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
You're surely welcome, Iain. You've made the same decision I would, given the circumstances.

It is a bit faster to build a wheel asymetrically like the one you're considering, and this is also seen in machine-built wheels, where the spokes are dropped in from the same side. It likely would make little if any functional difference with a disc fitted. I wouldn't have thought it possible for the rim to pull to one side under torque -- or thought about it at all -- if I hadn't had the experience with the tandem wheel and rim brakes.

Hmm.

Sometimes complete used Rohloff Thorns are amazingly inexpensive. Regardless of size, one might get a good deal, keep the hub/wheel, then sell off the remainder sans wheel to someone searching for that size/model frame. Just a thought, but it might entail problems as well.

Very best of luck in finding your hub, Iain. I'll watch for one for you as well.

Best,

Dan.

mickeg

I suspect that a wheel with a Rohloff hub would have less of a problem pulling the rim to one side than a conventional derailleur rear freehub type of hub.  The flanges are much further apart on a Rohloff than on a regular rear hub.

That said, if the price is not right, a pass is warranted.

macspud

« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 03:21:13 pm by macspud »

sweats

Re: Advice needed about unusual spoke lacing pattern on Rohloff hub wheel.
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 06:38:38 pm »
Think it's a Rohloff DH chain guide used to protect the hub if the chain comes off:-
http://www.rohloff.de/en/technology/workshop/accessories/dh_kit/index.html
Regards.
Chris

triaesthete

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 12:01:34 am »
Hi Iain

the hub you link to on ebay is laced in the same way that Shimano recommend for their MTB rear hubs WITH disc mounts.    http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231210224430&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:de   

See here for Shimano disc wheel spoke lacing  illustration  http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/Deore-XT/SI_3CZ0A_002/SI_3CZ0A_002_EN_v1_m56577569830621150.PDF

Essentially, Shimano treat both the sprocket and disc as torque appliers, to the hub shell and in opposite directions, and position the spokes to resist accordingly.

I think this is mainly done to reduce torsional stress in the hub shell as it is not of large diameter and won't resist them well. The Rohloff shell is of relatively enormous diameter and won't suffer from such torsion.

It won't affect the rim significantly either as most of them will be laced like this on MTBs now and the builder of that wheel has followed current common practice. And of course if you are running discs you'd never ever know about any minuscule amount of rim deflection....

Happy days
Ian

macspud

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 04:13:27 am »
Think it's a Rohloff DH chain guide used to protect the hub if the chain comes off:-
http://www.rohloff.de/en/technology/workshop/accessories/dh_kit/index.html
Regards.
Chris

Ah, that's it, I'd not noticed one before but now that I have I've seen a few more.
Thanks for answering my query Chris.
Regards,
Iain.

macspud

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 04:29:18 am »
Hi Ian,

Thank you for the info, I think that I get the logic behind it, I'll have to do some reading on the subject to see if a Rohloff that has been laced this way would be fine to use with rim brakes.
Now that I've noticed it it does seem that disc wheels are commonly laced this way.

Always something more to learn about bicycles.  :)

Regards,
Iain.

triaesthete

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 05:55:57 pm »

Best place to learn about wheels is here Iain:  http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

One of the best £9 I ever spent.....

Ian