Author Topic: My RST has arrived  (Read 10972 times)

nnnmvg

Re: My RST has arrived
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2006, 05:36:57 pm »
Question for epfg. How do you lock a bike with S&S fittings? I know little about these fittings but am attracted to the idea for being able to fit the bike easibly into the back of the car and also to transport it on buses and trains -- as surprisingly in Sweden where I live bikes have to be packed to take them on most public transport.

My first concern (being an Engineer) was the structural strength of the frame would be impair by fitting S&S, however this I'm assured is not the case. Now after reading recent correspondence I would be worried about losing half the bike, unless two locks are used probable a U lock to secure the rear wheel and frame to a solid object and a wire with a lock to secure the front wheel to the rest of the bike.

I am also on the cusp of placing an order -- just now measuring up existing bikes and going through the decision making process RT/RST, drop or straight bars - then the hardest one of all the COLOUR!

nnnmvg

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2006, 05:40:01 pm »
Question for epfg. How do you lock a bike with S&S fittings? I know little about these fittings but am attracted to the idea for being able to fit the bike easibly into the back of the car and also to transport it on buses and trains -- as surprisingly in Sweden where I live bikes have to be packed to take them on most public transport.

My first concern (being an Engineer) was the structural strength of the frame would be impair by fitting S&S, however this I'm assured is not the case. Now after reading recent correspondence I would be worried about losing half the bike, unless two locks are used probable a U lock to secure the rear wheel and frame to a solid object and a wire with a lock to secure the front wheel to the rest of the bike.

I am also on the cusp of placing an order -- just now measuring up existing bikes and going through the decision making process RT/RST, drop or straight bars - then the hardest one of all the COLOUR!

julk

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2006, 07:12:39 pm »
nnnmvg - locking a bike with S&S fittings is just how you describe - a gold standard U lock through the rear triangle fixed to a solid object with a thick cable through the front wheel, cable needs to be long enough to be secured in the U lock. Pitlock skewers and aheadset bolt add a bit more security.
After that you could insure the bike to give total peace of mind in case of theft/vandalism.

efpw

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2006, 09:46:50 pm »
Arnaud and Geocycle, I shall employ a combination of your tactics.  My wife loves holidays, so perhaps I should book a cycling holiday and, after a couple of days in the saddle on her sub-£100 bike, let her try the Raven?  Also the cost of congestion charge and hike in public transport prices recently particularly help in the justifications..  Little by little.

Regarding the questions of security, nnnmvg, I agree with julk's reply with one extra comment, which is that, in order to get the best security, using high quality cable (through the front wheel, with pitlock skewer) as well as frame, in addition to a good U-lock, means that any thief needs two different types of equipment..  ONLY if you don't use the U-lock to secure the cable: use a good padlock with an armoured hasp for this. In practice it is much quicker than it sounds.  Particularly if you pre-secure one end of the cable by feeding itself through it's own eye and around the rear triangle upright, leaving only one end to secure with the padlock on a daily basis.

There is good advice from Harvard after a spate of bike thefts recommending a U-lock simply around a section of the rear wheel within the rear triangle and to a solid post.  Furthermore, using a relatively small U-lock makes it more difficult for a thief to get his cutters, or commonly their 'jack', into the centre of it to cut through; but this also limits you to the use of only small posts.

Of course, we are simply hoping to deflect thiefs to an easier target.  A determined thief, with time and a quiet corner will, unfortunately, get through any lock.  

Concerning S & S fittings, they are pretty obscure and it is unlikely most thieves would know what they are..  And, as for their strength, I am also an engineer and I think that my mind has been put to rest here; and my engineering curiosity and the convenience that they offer are now the overriding factors.

Pleased to get all of that off my chest.

Best,
Ellis

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2006, 08:13:35 am »
Hi efpw, Excuse the late post.

Regarding the RST - I don't think you will find ANY negative comments from an owner of this bike.  It does everything remarkably well.  I have clocked up 3000 miles on mine since January this year.  I commute by bike, by Christmas the bike will have paid for itself.  What is more I enjoy every mile.  I generally use it unloaded but often ride with 15kg on the rear.  I have taking it mountain biking and have used it with a trailer.  It has always answered the call. (NB I don't recommend it for as a MTB but it did the job!)

My RST is fitted with drops - most of my miles are unloaded on country road. I don’t find ANY problems with the position of the shifter.  If I were living in a big city I think I would opt for a comfort bar.  For the wheels I would recommend Mavic 717 rims mine haven't needed any care at all.  I too am an advocate for the B17 but it does take some looking after.  If you are going to lock the bike up outside frequently then you will need some sort of saddle cover to protect from the rain.

S & S fittings - a destructive test was done on a frame (not a Thorn) fitted with a pair of S & S the frame broke before the fittings.  They are VERY strong - wish I had a set!  I don't think security is a problem with them a thief would recognise one - even if he did I doubt he would have the tools to undo it.  

Completely agree with you remarks on security.  On thing worth doing is to carefully remove the sticker from the Rohloff hub - this IS aloud under the warrantee and it looks better than gaffer tape!  Note you must keep the label for any warrantee claim.  Rohloff recommend sticking it to the their hand book if removed.

Good luck with the purchase.

efpw

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2006, 04:14:24 pm »
Thanks Stutho.
I agree entirely on removing the label.  It's good to hear that it is allowed by Rohloff and I think that I read elsewhere that warming the label with a hair-drier, if we own such a thing, helps to soften the adhesive.
I did notice on the Rohloff website that neither Thorn, nor SJS Cycles, is listed.  Do you think they're just being shy?
Ellis

geocycle

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2006, 05:32:58 pm »
I couldn't shift the label.  I thought I'd got it but it was a transparent cover and the rest stayed stuck.  I must try the hair-drier tactic.  Some photos now posted, see entry in 'my new raven tour' thread.

efpw

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2006, 09:06:40 pm »
Just realised that it was one of Stutho's ideas, from another thread, that suggested the hair-drier.  Nothing like taking your watch to tell you the time!!

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2006, 06:01:04 am »
Yes I used a heat gun to help.  I also tried WD40. (NOT AT THE SAME TIME!!! WD40 is VERY Flammable.)  Even with the heat gun it was very difficult to remove.  I used more WD40 to remove the residue and then polished with Mer.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2006, 06:22:46 am »
Ref to Lable removal: Rohloff service handbook P128

quote:
S t i c k e r
If the tape around the hub shell should be removed at any time, we recommend to separate first the serial-N°. with
a sharp carpet knife from the tape and then to leave only the serial-N° on the hub. If the tape should be removed
completely, the serial-N° should be saved and/or stuck onto the warranty card. Alternatively, the serial- N° can
also can be engraved on the hub cap!

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2006, 06:44:04 am »
Sorry for the triple post but I just thought  I should also mention that you don’t want to get the hub too hot you still want to be able to hold it.  

Geocyle - I too removed a transparent layer before the label.  I also snapped the label more than once in the first inch.  I then got more liberal with the heat gun.  I got the rest off in one section. Hint start on the opposite side to serial no.

nnnmvg

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2006, 03:47:40 am »
I'd like some more comments (convincing) on the cost/benefit of S&S fittings. Have just started the purchase process of a RT (decided on because of large pannier and tyre options alth' my first choice was a RST). The retrofit cost of S&S fittings is £420 and I could buy a large case for less money!

I have just noticed that there is and S&S version of RST. Maybe this is the cheaper option and then I might have to go back to plan A!