Author Topic: tent question  (Read 9895 times)

jags

tent question
« on: April 24, 2014, 05:25:02 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fHp6WyNOP0.

i'm always hunting around utube looking at light weigh tnts some i like most i hate,
as i'm not a tent dweller if you get my drift ;D

anyway my mountain hardware spear gt2 is a great tent  loads of room  pretty storm proof not that i've ever been out in a storm ::) but i find it hard enough to pitch lack of practice i suppose,but heres the question its 2.5kg or 7lb  would you lads reckon thats a heavy tent.
the tents in the utube link are not that much lighter ::)

anyone ever come across a pitching video on my tent.just asking.

anto.

energyman

Re: tent question
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 05:56:23 pm »
1.5 Kilo is about right - but it costs - see Hilliberg Akto

jags

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 06:23:19 pm »
i had the akto hated it like sleeping in a coffin but must admit it was super light and well put together, but not for me. :(

bikerta

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 09:16:41 pm »
Hi Jags,

Most tents in the 1.5kg mark will only be 1 man with not a lot of room. You have to be slightly over the 2kg for the 2 man tents to come into their own. I have a Terra Nova Voyager, that I managed to pick up 2nd hand and that is a great little 2 man tent and very solid weighing in at 2.1kg. I then have the Vango Spirit 200 and 200+, the only difference being the size of the porch with the 200+ having a huge porch (similar to the Hilleberg Nallo GT) and the 1 I favoured with my motorcycle touring. However it weighs 2.7kg.

Both the Vangos are tunnel tents and easy to put up by pegging down the 2 pegs at the rear of the tent and just pulling whole tent forward and then pegging down the 2 front pegs, then finish off with all other pegs. It is all pitched inner and outer together so no getting inner tent wet. Very stable in the wind and I can put it up in about 7 minutes all told.

Terra Nova is inner first , so free standing or could use without fly sheet and even though its a 2 step pitching process, the fly easily clips to poles and again very quick to pitch. It also packs away much easier into bag in 2 separate parts. I do find the poles a little long though and they don't fit into panniers so easily as the Vango tents. I would willingly cook in the Vango 200+ porch too, but not the others.

honesty

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 09:35:12 pm »
Weight is relative, me and my brother used to hike with a Vango force 10. Even split between 2 of us it was close to 3kg each. I think anything under 3kg on a bike is doing well and my personal preference would be better construction and more space than ultimate weight saving. In fact to me the van go spirit 200+ stones pretty much the perfect balance between weight, space, and price.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 09:38:14 pm by honesty »

jags

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 09:44:15 pm »
i much prefair the bigger tent, i would cook in the MH tent looks exactly like the nallo gt2 so plenty of room.
i know i know i shouldn't cook in a tent but lads it was fecking lashing it down and when you drink as much tea and coffee as me well what choice does a fella have. ::)

i thought when i first started cycle touring that camping under the stars would be my favourate part of touring WRONG  :'(i find going to bed when its still bright weird, i was always a late bird hard to adjust to a lifetime of going to bed early hours of the morning. then the feckin noises, where did they all come from you can hear too rats nattering away 2 fields away very unnerving :o
i used to tour with a guy and as soon as his head would hit the pillow he was dead to the world the  fecker would snore all night long,and next morning he would always  say good morning anto  you certainly were snoring well last night, ??? he was to big to punch his lights out Xcop .
yeah so basically i need a sound proof tent that weighs nothing and costs even less am i dreaming or just talking through my bottom bracket.
sure a fella has to ramble every now and again you guys are to brainy for this uneducated fool  ;D ;D

anto.

honesty

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 10:04:31 pm »
Well if you have to money (its 500 quid!) The Van go force 10 nitro lite 200+ would be choice as its bloody massive and weighs 1.7kg... I do think though anyone who used lite instead of light in a product should be flayed alive

jags

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 10:13:26 pm »
thats a lot of money but the hillies are fierce expensive as well.ill check that out on utube for the craic you understand .
no does nothing for me sorry.just looked at it on utube.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 10:23:26 pm by jags »

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 10:44:22 pm »
i thought when i first started cycle touring that camping under the stars would be my favourate part of touring WRONG  :'(i find going to bed when its still bright weird, i was always a late bird hard to adjust to a lifetime of going to bed early hours of the morning. then the feckin noises, where did they all come from you can hear too rats nattering away 2 fields away very unnerving :o
<snip>
yeah so basically i need a sound proof tent that weighs nothing and costs even less am i dreaming or just talking through my bottom bracket.

Anto, you crack me up sometimes!!  :D ;D

I'm a late night person too, so I'm usually the last one hanging around the campfire, talking into my whisky. But I didn't figure you one for being scared of things that go bump in the night. Better make that tent lockable and bullet-proof, as well!  ;)

Sam

jags

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 11:00:12 pm »
Sam born coward  ;D ;D  no not really fisty little fecker in me day.
but honest i remember the first night in france i kept tripping over those stupid guy lines,so i came up with a plan i would  put used Tbags on each of the guys so as i could spot them more easly.,yeah so anyway there i was lying in my coffin (AKTO)tossing and turning all night  when all of a sudden the fecking tent started to shake i lay there in a state of panic ,what the hell is going on, so no choice but to sneak out and take a look.
fully armed ready for war, what was it only 2 fecking crows munching away on the t bags they fairly frightened the bejasus out of me thats the truth. ;D ;D

jags

leftpoole

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 08:12:15 am »
Hilleberg Anjan 2 a 2 person tent weight 1.6 k

http://www.pbase.com/leftpoole/campingtrips

OR

http://www.pbase.com/leftpoole/terranova
at 1.2 kg

John
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 08:16:08 am by leftpoole »

jags

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 08:18:23 am »
way to expensive for me john. ::)

leftpoole

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 11:32:30 am »
way to expensive for me john. ::)

And for me too, but I always buy the best. I figure at our age and with my health that the use will keep me happy, when I turn my toes up the bill will not be paid!
John

il padrone

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 12:57:03 pm »
Exped Vela 1 is my choice - one-person - but I find it has a good roomy feel inside as it has the transverse pole - much better than longitudinal pole designs like the Macpac Microlight that feel like a coffin. The vestibule is really roomy, able to fit all my panniers and still have room to get in and out easily. Internal length is excellent too at 2.45m. And the fly has no zips (nothing to leak/break) as you just slide it up on the main pole.

It weighs 1.8kgs and is extremely easy to pitch with the integral-pitch design. It can be put up with the minimum two pegs in as little as two minutes.

Video of the pitching here - http://youtu.be/BViEhVoNMDo

jags

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 03:31:00 pm »
John if i had the money i would buy the nallo gt2 it's very like the one i'm using but much lighter and easier to pitch and the fly goes all the way to the ground ;)
but man is it expensive no big deal if i could afford it as you say long time pushing up daisys.

jags