Author Topic: Trinity Portable Wind Turbine  (Read 2281 times)

Aushiker

• Aushiker: Bicycling and Bushwalking in Western Australia
Trinity Portable Wind Turbine
« on: April 24, 2014, 05:00:20 am »

Trinity portable wind turbine ... 30 cm in height, 15 watt generator, 15,000-mAh lithium-polymer battery pack and two USB ports.

The plastic-bodied Trinity is carried as a 12-inch (30.5-cm) cylinder when not in use. When you want to juice it up, you pull out the turbine's three aluminum legs, and prop it up to catch the wind. The legs can be laid flat to form a pedestal, or partially extended to form a tripod base. And yes, it is waterproof (rated to IPX6), should the wind be accompanied by rain.

As the blades turn, they spin an internal 15-watt generator that in turn charges a 15,000-mAh lithium-polymer battery pack. Using one of two USB ports on the bottom of the unit, you can then plug in your phone (or other device) and charge it. According to Skajaquoda, the Minnesota-based company that's developing the Trinity, one full charge of the battery should allow for four to six phone charges – you can also forgo the battery, and charge your phone directly from the generator.

Source: Gizmag

Andrew

julk

Re: Trinity Portable Wind Turbine
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 08:40:05 am »
Just needs a handlebar mount now ;D

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 11:00:53 pm »
Just needs a handlebar mount now ;D

Most of the dangerous places I've been in Africa, Australia, South America and Asia, the wind rarely blew. I'd rather trust my life to a properly engineered hub dynamo.

In any event I just ordered a 305gr 20Ah battery for under ten euro. Seems to me that will recharge a, say, 1500mA satellite phone from 10% to 90% daily for near enough three weeks, anyway long after the cyclist died from injuries, hunger or thirst.

With such a battery in hand, fully charged, why should one need to lug around a wind generator?

triaesthete

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 12:08:11 am »

If you make your own wind like Anto does......... ;D