Author Topic: your next purchase  (Read 7669 times)

jags

Re: your next purchase
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 12:49:03 am »
emm makes sense i suppose i'm just not a hub man love my mechs  ;D ;D
good luck with the change i'm sure you know best.

i wont buy the nidd just yet as i love my fizik alanti super saddle.

jags.

honesty

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 07:57:55 am »
For my commuter I'm think long of get a dynamo wheel and the luxos u light and rear light then that one will be pretty much upgraded...

For my audax though I keep on weighing up the need for a dynamo hub, I like the idea but just not sure I need it because of how and when I use the bike and then if I do get on whether to go for an edelux 2 or a luxos for USB charging as I don't think I need USB charging because of where I use the bike again but I am just need it... And so on. I am still thinking of getting some 853c forks though.

sd

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2014, 06:52:41 pm »

bush and muller luxus u headlight.
new front dynamo wheel.

anto.
That is all I am interested in. But the front wheel on the travel master is a top one witha  ceramic layer. Not sure what to do. Replace hub or buy a new wheel with dynamo hub and the ceramic rim. Thing is I am happy with my Trailtech lights 800 lumen LED 2 batteries 6 hours and 9 hours but always have Hope 200 lumen on. This is a back up in case I forget to charge up the battery I am using. Now I know the best dynamo ain't going to beat my trailtech but most headlights waste a lot of light. I have no problem with my headlamp lighting up the top of the trees and the Lincoln Red bull in the field to my left But it is wasted light and they reckon the most expensive dynamo head lights are much more focused and therefore waste less light. Will think about it for a year or two or.......search eBay and save the search!!!

jags

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2014, 07:00:06 pm »
sd check out rose bikes or bike discount for front dynamo wheel (shimano) you might get lucky..

sd

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2014, 07:03:32 pm »
For those who have the financial discipline DON'T save up to buy your next purchase instead do as I do. Take out a zero interest spending credit card say a Tesco (for the points). It has 16 months zero interest. Each month I will put enough money into savings account so I can pay off the credit card at the end of the interest free period.  Then pay of the card in full and keep the interest. Borrowing at negative interest rate can't be beaten
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 06:31:57 pm by sd »

jags

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2014, 07:09:49 pm »
next buy is barbag and that chargAndre recommended.
trying to get my son in the states to buy them for me,but his wife is a tight as a ducks arse in water although i love her dearly ::) honest i do. besides its my birthday  in  june so early present.
i live in hope.

jags.

nice idea sd but never work with me.

sd

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2014, 09:27:53 pm »
next buy is barbag and that chargAndre recommended.
trying to get my son in the states to buy them for me,but his wife is a tight as a ducks arse in water although i love her dearly ::) honest i do. besides its my birthday  in  june so early present.
i live in hope.

jags.

nice idea sd but never work with me.
Not an idea mate, done it for years and years.
Also my brother live in California I buy over the internet and have it sent to him and he brings it to UK. Massive savings. Gave him a Trailtech LED light to send to manufacturer to repair as the distributers here didn't know how to repair it?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 06:30:38 pm by sd »

sd

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2014, 06:36:26 pm »
sd check out rose bikes or bike discount for front dynamo wheel (shimano) you might get lucky..

Woooow not going to do it but all the same
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200851201352?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=500126247181&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

sd

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2014, 06:51:35 pm »
Okay now going to the other extreme.... Bottle dynamo? Anyone used one. Cheap and a  good backup? Could be used at dusk to save battery. Used in conjunction with normal 800 lumen lights to give better light output closer up. Anyone used one in all weather conditions and can tell me how they performed. Noticed that a lot of tyres have a sidewall designed for a dynamo.

martinf

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2014, 07:32:57 pm »
Okay now going to the other extreme.... Bottle dynamo? Anyone used one. Cheap and a  good backup? Could be used at dusk to save battery. Used in conjunction with normal 800 lumen lights to give better light output closer up. Anyone used one in all weather conditions and can tell me how they performed. Noticed that a lot of tyres have a sidewall designed for a dynamo.

I replaced the last bottle dynamo on my own bikes about 3 years ago, still got them on the 2 visitor bikes and one of my wife's bikes (these 3 bikes hardly ever used after dark, not used for commuting in traffic, so no real incentive to replace the dynamos).

Nordlicht dynamo was used in all weather conditions for at least 12 years on my commuter, no slippage problems as sometimes happens with bottle dynamos. Plenty of output for modern LED lights. Downsides compared with hub generator - noise, noticeable drag.

With hub generators I tend to leave the lights on all the time for commuting - the extra drag isn't noticeable and I reckon the slight extra visibility is worth having.

in4

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2014, 08:11:30 pm »
Well my next purchase will have to a new pair of goretex trainers that I can cycle in. My much loved but utterly wrecked Timberlands are dropping to bits. They've been an utter joy to ride in with my flats. I've got some spd-type footware for use with my other pedals but for riding on varying surfaces its trainers and DMRs.

bikerta

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2014, 10:15:41 pm »
I also need some new goretex trainers for cycling in before I get actual holes in the soles of my present trainers.

I know everyone says you should go clipless on bikes, but I really don't want to as it worries me that I will be caught out with the bike going over and me unable to put my foot down. It doesn't help when a friend of mine took his 1957 Dawes out for a spin the other day and he couldn't get his foot out of the toe straps and went down with the bike. He is now out of action for months with a broken hip. He is in his late 70s mind, but the doctor said it's a pity because his hips were in good order and would have outlasted him.  So I think I will just carry on as I am with flat pedals and trainers thank you, even if I do have to put a bit more effort into my cycling.

jags

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2014, 11:12:02 pm »
whatever your comfy with is the secret ;)
i ride clipless all the time never had a problem guess i'm just used to them.
best way to try out clipless is to clip in on the  right as most riders put there left foot on the ground first,that way you soon get used to your feet clippen into the pedals.
they do make a hugh difference especally when climbing  push pull all in one action..

jags.

sd

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2014, 10:59:27 am »
You have not made that easy. I think I might go for one and take off my hope one. I could just use it when needed ie a proper back up.

Donerol

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2014, 11:28:59 am »
I also need some new goretex trainers for cycling in before I get actual holes in the soles of my present trainers.

I know everyone says you should go clipless on bikes, but I really don't want to as it worries me that I will be caught out with the bike going over and me unable to put my foot down.

I feel the same, and in any case have dodgy knees so don't want to be fixed too firmly in one position. Instead I use these Zefal strapless clips

They keep my feet on the pedals when standing, and save me from kicking the pedal round to its starting position in stop-start traffic, but work with any shoes and are really easy to get in and out of - I've never ever had a 'clipless' moment. I feel much safer with them than without. So what if they're not as efficient!