Author Topic: your next purchase  (Read 7741 times)

jags

your next purchase
« on: April 16, 2014, 10:38:31 pm »
So yeah just thinking what next could i buy when i have money of course.lets see now.
tyres grand bios being drooling over them a long time now.
bush and muller luxus u headlight.
new front dynamo wheel.
good quality lightweight tent 2 man.
i reckon that wouls see me right for many a year,what about you lads planning on buying stuff you really really need. ::) ;D

anto.

bikerta

Re: your next purchase
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 11:10:06 pm »
Hi Jags,

Didn't you already have all this and sell it off with the Sherpa   ::)   

I am always trying to justify buying new things - it's my birthday, I will use it loads, it has amazing reviews, it costs a lot so it must be the best, I can always sell it and get my money back if it doesn't work out. I wonder what other excuses we use to justify our spending.

My next purchase?  I think we already know that. Now I just have to think of a name for him/her. Should a Sherpa have a male or female name I wonder. Alternatively I may just wait a while until you sell all this stuff with your Audax    ;)

jags

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 11:21:47 pm »
 ;D ;Dnow now bikerta no need to rub it in  :'(
but yeah i did have that lot right enough I'm a geek for sure but when your not working and funds are rock bottom what choices does a fella have but to sell off his prized possessions (did  i spell that right :)

nah the audax is a keeper its perfect for my needs and its a cracking bike for sure.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 11:30:33 pm »
I seem to be spending myself into a big black hole without planning on the least of it!

A couple weeks ago I rode into Woodstock. When I got there, yikes, where is the key to my lock? Ach, it was in my pants pocket which I hadn't zipped up. It must be lying on the side of the road somewhere!

Usually when I am riding I keep my key in the inner zipped pocket of my handlebar bag. But the big project in town was to attend a lecture, which meant leaving the bike locked up for a couple hours. Woodstock is a tourist town with lots of foot traffic and all sorts of people. Leaving bags on the bike, hmmm, I thought it better to use one big bag (pannier) instead of two smaller ones (saddle & handlebar), so that meant swapping stuff around... and breaking my routine, always a risky venture!

Fortunately there is a bike shop in town, so I bought a new lock, an ABUS Bordo Combo Lite 6150. They had some really silly combo cable locks and then a monster chain lock, so this seemed like the only reasonable option!

Ah, and my pitlock pit was on the key ring that disappeared, along with the key! I ordered two replacements, given that I don't seem to be able to hang onto them very well!

So that is an example of my unplanned diving into a hole! Who needs plans!

jags

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 11:52:13 pm »
best layed plans jim  ;) your going to have to do a bit of back tracking to find the lost keys you might get lucky.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 12:18:11 am »
I seem to be pretty well set for now, Anto, so I'm enjoying the spectator sport of seeing what others are getting, and why.

A couple recent *very* successful purchases for me were the new smartphone/accessories and a PlanetBike Blaze2W Micro LED headlight: https://ecom1.planetbike.com/3072.html It is powered by 2AA cells...replaced by a pair of Eneloop XX cells I can recharge from the bike's charging system or the solar panel. It has a sunlight-visible blink setting and two levels of nighttime brightness I can actually see with. Despite a very rocky start to the relationship -- mine arrived misassembled -- I have come to like it very much. It was even sweeter for being a free acquisition thanks to my REI dividend. Spare brackets are available from PB for USD$5ppd, so I got a couple of those and can quickly swap the light from bike to bike. For those considering it, the supplied bracket can indeed be sized-down to fit a 22.2mm MTB handlebar or Thorn Accessory T-bar.

Best,

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 05:39:56 pm »
Jags, I just sent a note today to Brad at Tall Tree Cycles, asking if my Raven will be ready for final sizing a week tomorrow -- I get back to Ottawa a week today (Thurs) so I'm hoping that his answer will be, "Well of course! Where ya been, man?"  In preparation for The Big Day, I spent more money than I ever thought I would on a new camera, a Panasonic XS40, and that's already on my shelf at home. (Will see our daughter Meg in Foggie Olde for a few days, starting on Monday :-) and give her my several-years-old-but-still-sound Nikon P50.)

Treated myself to a new pair of Sidi road shoes too, replacing my faithful ten-year-old items...Gawd, where will this spending frenzy all end?? (I tell myself that this is likely the last bike I'll buy; ditto the shoes, etc., etc.; both are likely to be good for at least another 15 years.)

Will post shortly (I hope!!) a few photos of my new black & silver Raven, taken with my new black & silver Panasonic.

My People in Ottawa tell me that the snow has finally gone from the yard.  Probably lots still in the Gatineau Hills across the river, though--we had 250 cms-plus this year, and not much melted except for one bizarre wet weekend in January--so I may not get to test the Raven on the hills until early May.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 05:45:14 pm »
Will post shortly (I hope!!) a few photos of my new black & silver Raven, taken with my new black & silver Panasonic.
Cannot wait to see 'em, John. I suspect you *might* feel the same!  ;D

Soon now, soon...!

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 05:57:47 pm »
yeah look forward to the photos.glad to hear that blasted snow is finally gone hate the stuff.
best of luck with all the new gear,we are after all big kids when it comes to buying stuff  ;D ;D

jags.

alfie1952

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 06:24:34 pm »
Hi John,

Like everyone else I am looking forward to seeing the shining black and silver cousin to my Sherpa.

Regards, Alfie

rualexander

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 07:10:04 pm »
Just received today a new Spa Nidd saddle in brown, http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s204p2667&i=3283

Also planning to convert my Audax Mk3 to a Shimano Alfine or Nexus 8 speed hub gear.

And also to convert my Brompton to Shimano Nexus 8 speed hub gear, which reqires a bit more work, but there is a good guide to this here http://mistymornings.net/blogs/mm/?p=45

Just have to pluck up the courage to spend the money.

jags

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 07:45:42 pm »
rual will you let us know how that saddle fairs out it looks like a well made saddle every bit as good as the brooks (or is it).
why would you want to go hub  on the audax  ???

jags.

RobertL

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 08:01:37 pm »
Classic Timbukt2 small messenger bag

Surprisingly comfortable even on my 40 mile commute, although I only use it occasionally

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 09:28:10 pm »
Hi have ordered and got a new Awol Adventure Bike  ;D

Kiwi Pete.....

The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ

rualexander

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 10:00:19 pm »
rual will you let us know how that saddle fairs out it looks like a well made saddle every bit as good as the brooks (or is it).
why would you want to go hub  on the audax  ???

jags.

Jags, the Spa saddle seems very well made and looks good, reviews online tend to suggest it is a bit harder than a B17 and takes a bit longer to break in, time will tell.

Just fancy simplifying the gears on the Audax, as I rarely use more than seven out of nine sprockets and only occasionally move to the inner or outer chainrings. The Alfine 8 has a more reliable reputation than the Alfine 11, and I think with the right chainring and sprocket then 8 gears will be fine, if not I can fit a second chainring to extend the range.
And if the Alfine 8 was good enough to get Vin Cox around the world it should be good enough for me, http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/blog/03/09/10/vin-coxs-round-the-world-record-is-official
Experience with the Rohloff on my Sherpa has convinced me that hub gears are great and require much less maintenance.