Author Topic: Spain - From the French border to Nerja  (Read 2831 times)

99AL

Spain - From the French border to Nerja
« on: April 12, 2014, 08:59:01 pm »
To celebrate my 60th this September I am going to ride with an old school friend from my home (in Padstow) to his home (in Nerja just along the coast from Malaga).
We have already ridden from the UK down through France to the Spanish border… but we have never crossed Spain from NE to SW.

I wondered if anyone out there had any advice and guidance regarding a route.
We want to complete the Spanish part of our ride in 11/12 days - so about 60 miles a day.
I was thinking of going very roughly in as straight a line as possible - from Bayonne across the Pyrenees to Pamplona and then via Calahorra, Carracosa del Campo, Tomelloso, Ubeda, Valdepenas, Granada to Nerja

We have previously ridden from Santander to Malaga which was fantastic and again we are aiming for quiet rural back roads with little traffic (we hate busy trucker routes), as few hills/mountains as possible (wishful thinking I know!!), and a truly rustic Spanish experience!

Any help that anyone could give would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Allan

cycladelic

Re: Spain - From the French border to Nerja
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 07:23:13 pm »
Many years ago I cycled over the mountain road from the coast - near Nerja - to Granada. I think it's one of the highest routes in Europe. Are you up for that?

My son did it with me - he was about 15 at the time.

cycladelic

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 11:21:58 am »
I suggest you venture into Picos de Europa. I was there in April 2012 when it was nippy and snow was still falling, but it's a magical place with few tourists. You'll just need some low gears...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 11:35:44 am by cycladelic »

jags

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 10:26:19 pm »
wow great pics any more please.

jags.

cycladelic

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 11:32:14 pm »

jags.

Here are a couple from my tour in 2012, taken between Malaga and Seville. The first includes a pic of my wife taken in Malaga back in 2002...

cycladelic

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 11:36:54 pm »

Here's another pic from the South, plus one from the Sil Valley area - a wonderful spot in the North of Spain..
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 11:43:09 pm by cycladelic »

jags

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 11:51:44 pm »
magic thanks for that i can go to bed dreaming of cycle touring spain. ;)

anto.

99AL

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 05:16:59 pm »
Thanks for your comments - sorry its taken so long to get back - I had forgotten that I'd posted this!
But - I have done the Picos and the Gredos and cycled around the Sierra Nevada previously so I know what a hill looks like.
Also I live in Cornwall so have to contend with steep sharp ones and lots of them on a regular basis.
I leave on Sept 7th so not long now! Cheers