Author Topic: Nomad eXp identification  (Read 2229 times)

jeweller220

Nomad eXp identification
« on: February 03, 2021, 02:35:29 pm »
Hi, as per a recent post I've distance-purchased a Nomad further described as an eXp version. The fork design doesn't correspond to the archive catalogue's "twin plate fork crown" design which seems still in use currently. Any thoughts?

in4

Re: Nomad eXp identification
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 06:22:02 pm »
What are the letters and numbers stamped under the bb?

jeweller220

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 06:42:53 pm »
Well, here's the thing . . . . I've bought it but haven't received it yet. And in the meantime I think I've found a degree of enlightenment via an adjacent thread (Kevin Sayles 2nd hand Thorn eXp) - seems possibly to be an early incarnation / prototype. But as per that thread - I think I do prefer the 'proper' square-shouldered fork. I'll put the frame number up on arrival.

Paul

leftpoole

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 10:26:25 am »
Well, here's the thing . . . . I've bought it but haven't received it yet. And in the meantime I think I've found a degree of enlightenment via an adjacent thread (Kevin Sayles 2nd hand Thorn eXp) - seems possibly to be an early incarnation / prototype. But as per that thread - I think I do prefer the 'proper' square-shouldered fork. I'll put the frame number up on arrival.

Paul

It is an old Thorn EXP.  A great bike, but it is not a Nomad. If you are of a mind, even if seller said no return, if it was described as a Nomad and you want a Nomad, send it back. I assume it is an Ebay purchase?

jeweller220

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 11:51:44 am »
Thank you for replying leftpoole. It was described as a Nomad on gumtree - and I am slightly disappointed (after the fact) that it doesn't carry the trademark square-shoulder fork. But I'm still delighted to have bought the bike and I'm going to have a lot of fun tarting it up. I'm aiming to make it a 9-speed (I imagine it'll be 8 currently) and maybe put current spec. Andra wheels on as it comes with unmatched pair.

PH

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 06:05:16 pm »
That looks like a Thorn fork to me, I know a couple of people who have the same model.  The twin plate crown came later. The thing that gives them away is the mudguard fitting on the back of the fork between the dropout and the low rider boss, no other manufacture does this, or none that I've noticed.
There's a blog with some photos here
https://www.seasurfdirt.com/2010/09/24/nomad-mk1-a-big-lump-of-bicycle/

Whether the bike is a Nomad, I wouldn't know.  Maybe John will tell you the differences rather than just that it isn't. Apart from what it says on it, which might or might not be original.
My understanding of the EXP is that it was a beefed up version, I've only seen two and they had very distinctive X brake bridges on the seat stays, though I wouldn't know if they all had.  Whether you'd want such an expedition machine depends on your usage, and to an extent your weight and riding style.  Was the geometry different?  It might be possible to tell that from later brochures.

EDIT - Some photos of the various models in this thread
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11607.msg84501#msg84501
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 06:41:54 pm by PH »

jeweller220

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2021, 10:03:10 pm »
PH, thanks for getting involved. I agree with you that the fork is a Thorn. And my bike has the X bracing you describe. It also has a hollowtech chainset which if original would date it to 2003 at the earliest. And so it would seem that the fork isn't 'wrong' (as per a related fairly recent thread) but just part of the evolution toward the Nomad line.
As for it's future employment I expect it might be on the robust side for the light touring I intend to do - we shall see.

leftpoole

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 04:39:38 am »
Thank you for replying leftpoole. It was described as a Nomad on gumtree - and I am slightly disappointed (after the fact) that it doesn't carry the trademark square-shoulder fork. But I'm still delighted to have bought the bike and I'm going to have a lot of fun tarting it up. I'm aiming to make it a 9-speed (I imagine it'll be 8 currently) and maybe put current spec. Andra wheels on as it comes with unmatched pair.

You should not be disappointed regarding the fork, the one you have is much nicer. Faster to ride and more feel should be guaranteed ...

martinf

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 07:11:45 am »
Fork looks rather like the one on my Raven Sport Tour, except that the brake bosses are behind the fork crown on the latter.

jeweller220

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2021, 09:58:27 pm »
So the bike arrived . . . . lighter than I expected; nimble even on a round-the-block seating adjustment ride. And I was glad that I'd already sourced a replacement chainset - big ring very worn. But when I flipped the bike over there is no number at all! Nothing! Any ideas?

in4

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 03:05:27 am »
From the Sage of Oregon’s curated collection. Might help with identification.

http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=6975.0