Author Topic: tools for tour?  (Read 2624 times)

geocycle

tools for tour?
« on: August 22, 2006, 10:58:07 am »
I'm eagerly expecting delivery of a Thorn raven tour and will immediately take it for a spin around the Scottish highlands on a 5 day tour.  Would any of you recommend any Rohloff specific tools to carry? Are there any tips you could offer regarding using the Rohloff, or things I should expect in the first few trips?  I am a reasonably experienced tourist and have quite a well honed collection of allen keys etc, but I'd be interested in any quirks or info relating specifically to the TRT.  Do you all carry an axle ring assembly on short trips like this, or is this really only for round the world types?

lardy

Re: tools for tour?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 11:06:48 am »
The only extra thing I would take is the spanner you will get with your bike for the bottom bracket. You will be very unlucky if you need this, and speaking from experience if the nuts that hold the bracket in place come loose, you can adjust everything with a screwdriver and an Allen key. However the spanner is a lot easier.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 12:32:43 pm »
You won’t need an axle ring. Just change the internal cable when you get to 10,000kM.  (In a few years time)

For a tour in this country I wouldn’t take anything for the Rohloff.  As Lardy said It is probably worth taking a 15mm spanner (or a small adjustable) to set the bottom bracket.  You may have to do this at the 1000mile mark.

Alders

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 02:43:55 pm »
Along with the EBB spanner, I carry a short length of chain, because you don't have the option to run it a bit short after a problem.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2006, 02:50:43 pm by Alders »

geocycle

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 05:39:07 pm »
Thanks guys, a few chain links are a good idea and not something I'd thought of. Got the train tickets booked so REALLY looking forward to the bike arriving!