Author Topic: sprocket reversing problem anyone?  (Read 107251 times)

revelo

Re: sprocket reversing problem anyone?
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2015, 02:18:07 am »
I've discussed this before, but since this is a permanent post, I'll mention it again here. Pedro's Vice Whip makes for easier Rohloff sprocket removal. My technique is to sit on the floor barefoot, with my toes holding the bottom of the rim and the top pressed against my chest, then put the vice whip and wrench in place and jerk back towards myself in a rowing motion.

lestat_12345

« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2018, 08:33:46 pm »
Hi All,

I already have a Rohloff but bought another albeit secondhand. I am trying to remove the sprocket on the secondhand unit but it won't budge. I'm using the method outlined within this post which I have alway used before this post (the youtube video was the one I watched when I first wanted to remove a Rohloff sprocket). The unit is an old one (around 10 years) and I don't think the sprocket has been removed since new. It has also been stored unused for a number of years. What can I do to get the sprocket off? I am using a long chain whip and wrench so there should be enough leverage. I'm also relatively strong so I can normally apply enough force to get the sprocket off without issue.

Thanks,

Richard.

TouringMechanic

« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2018, 05:34:40 am »
I got my rear sprocket off a few days ago and can tell you, it would have never be possible witouth a vice. It is as tight as a screwing part on a bicycle goes. I put an abundance of grease on it before putting it back on. If you consider taking an old sprocket, probably with a bit of rust inside, make sure you have a quality vice and as long of a lever for the chain whip, as you would need it for a frozen bottom bracket.

mickeg

« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2018, 05:11:54 pm »
I apparently had better luck than you, the tools I used are in the photo.  They are unusually large, but I did not need a cheater bar or a big vice.  Sprocket had been on for about three years, I just pulled it off to see if the grease on the threads needed renewing.  Came off quite easily, and yes I put some grease on the threads before putting it back on.

I suspect with the new splined carrier, a lot more Rohloffs will have a stuck part in the future when nobody bothers to remove the carrier until it becomes absolutely necessary.

Another thread for reference here:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=12931.0

evanprice

« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2019, 12:44:35 pm »
Hi All

I am in the Congo and just replaced my sprocket after about 30k km on the road...needless to say it was extremely tight and there was to be no reversing, I’m stunned that it still worked in this state!

I have the correct removal tool but as it was so tight and I am not well versed in the process I mistakenly applied load to the wrench/spanner while also applying load to the chain whip, and now the sprocket freewheel movement is very stiff and the gears don’t change or engage properly...so clearly I’ve buggered something up!

Any ideas on how I go about fixing this issue would be much appreciated as I’m not sure how to undo the tightening action, thanks.

Evan

geocycle

« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2019, 03:38:49 pm »
Wow, that's a lot of wear!  I think you need to try the rohloff recommended rubber mallet procedure:

'hit the axle peg firmly with a rubber mallet. Once from the sprocket side (right) and once from the axle plate side (left). This will loosen-up the tension on the bearings.'

This is from the rohloff handbook https://www.rohloff.de/fileadmin/user_upload/3_Service_En_2015_03_web.pdf

mickeg

« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2019, 04:14:34 pm »
Or lacking a rubber mallet, maybe using a rubber soled shoe as a mallet.

geocycle

« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2019, 04:37:16 pm »
Or lacking a rubber mallet, maybe using a rubber soled shoe as a mallet.

Yes indeed, In fact I'm surprised there isn't an officially approved mallet on the rohloff website!

evanprice

« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2019, 01:44:54 pm »
Thanks for the insights - that procedure did the trick and the gears  seem to be working as before...various heavy implements substituted for a rubber mallet!

geocycle

« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2019, 03:02:19 pm »
Thanks for the insights - that procedure did the trick and the gears  seem to be working as before...various heavy implements substituted for a rubber mallet!
Fantastic, so pleased it worked and thanks for getting back.

lewis noble

« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2019, 05:30:36 pm »
Good luck and safe travels for your onward journeys . . . . Where to now??

Lewis