Author Topic: sprocket reversing problem anyone?  (Read 107238 times)

Crudson

Re: sprocket reversing problem anyone?
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2010, 08:11:21 pm »
As an aside, i was tempted to replace the Marathon Plus while the wheel was off, but despite 12000 miles it still has a couple of thousand miles left in it i think.  I'll use it until i get a (first!) puncture and then bin it.

What do they surface the roads with round your way - marshmallows? Thats incredible!!!

Cake

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2010, 07:04:44 am »
Some marshmallow surface - the rest is potholes and hedge trimmings, so i think it is the tyres!  I did used to get plenty of punctures when i used "normal" road bike tyres on other bikes.

I'm sure having made the claim about no punctures etc. etc. and mentioning the word puncture so often, the puncture fairy will now deem it necessary to strike me down with my two and a bit years worth!

Cake

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2010, 09:18:04 am »
I bloody knew it!  400 miles after my no puncture brag, i got a slow puncture from a large spearhead shaped piece of glass.

The tyre still has a few miles in it and after finding out about the Marathon Plus in 1.5" guise i'm going to hold out until they are in stock somewhere.

The new transmission is a dream - no oil weeping problems, just smooth riding.   ;D

Crudson

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2010, 08:36:01 pm »
I bloody knew it!  400 miles after my no puncture brag, i got a slow puncture from a large spearhead shaped piece of glass

Law of the Sod - Your blessed run comes an end; hard lines Cake.
If it's any consolation, I punctured on way to work this week [glass aswell] in my month old Continental City Contacts
[y'know, the ones which come with a 1 year puncture guarantee; harrumph]

gearoidmuar

« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2010, 12:03:50 pm »
Now: Sometimes experience is what you DON'T need :-[
I didn't need to reverse my sprocket yet but decided to try it as I'm doing a big tour in two weeks and I may need to do it on that. I've often taken blocks off wheels before, as a testament to which I have about 6 block removers.

So I start with the Rohloff one. I cannot shift it. Try really hard. No. Put a lever on chainwhip. Not a budge.
Thinks....
I'm going in the wrong direction.. Search through the Rohloff book (it's BADLY indexed) and eventually find the diagram. I have been going in the wrong direction. All other blocks come off the other way.
It's going to be really difficult now??
Naw, first effort, off no problem.  ;D

farnorth

« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2010, 09:07:18 pm »
Interesting to read this thread.  My 15 tooth rear sprocket looks distinctly worn (asymmetric teeth), but has probably done less than 4000 miles in 1.5 touring seasons. This doesn't really gel with comments that suggest that they last for a long time.  I'm on my second chain. I don't apply excessive force to anything, since I'm only 65 kg!  I also note that only a 14 tooth sprocket seems to be available for purchase from SJS.

rualexander

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2010, 10:39:42 pm »
Interesting to read this thread.  My 15 tooth rear sprocket looks distinctly worn (asymmetric teeth), but has probably done less than 4000 miles in 1.5 touring seasons. This doesn't really gel with comments that suggest that they last for a long time.  I'm on my second chain. I don't apply excessive force to anything, since I'm only 65 kg!  I also note that only a 14 tooth sprocket seems to be available for purchase from SJS.

All sprocket sizes are showing here : http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Rohloff-Rohloff-Speedhub-500-14-Hub-Gear-Reversible-Sprocket-Steel-10342.htm
Or you can get them cheaper here : http://activesport.co.uk/shop/category_851/Rohloff-Spares.html?shop_param=cid%3D%26

wowbagger

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2013, 02:02:15 am »
I took my sprocket off today.

My technique is to line the chain whip and the wrench up so that I can hold them in both hands, then squeeze. Dead easy! It came off in a matter of seconds and I didn't even swear. It's over 4500 miles since I last removed it, and I'm 113kg. The chain was desperate for bein replaced: I suspect that last year's dreadful wet weather took its toll and I was using a different chain lube. I find Purple Extreme to be very good, but for a change I was using something called "Finesse Multi Lube Plus" which is a much sticker lube and makes the chain filthy after a while.

Gary (a.k.a. cake)

« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2013, 08:40:07 pm »
I had to replace the rear sprocket on my RT today after discovering two broken teeth. 

I'm not complaining though, it's allowed me to propel myself over 20700 miles. I reversed it after 12000 miles. 

Despite having done another 8700 miles it came off without any problems at all.  Big Park Tools chain whip, a few cable ties and a big spanner - lovely!

I put a new chainring on and also a new chain and the bike now rides like a dream.

So my second experience of sprocket removal / reversal was again a positive one!

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2013, 11:10:42 am »
I have found a useful video from Shane Cycles on removing a Rohloff sprocket. The 2x4 method is used accompanied by some relaxing music to help
with the pressure and stress of the process!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLnR_QgpvhY

mattwhitford

« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2013, 03:36:21 pm »
Help!
I bought a new chainring, Rohloff chain and Rohloff sprocket, but really struggled to get the old Rohloff sprocket off.  Ended up nailing the old chain (which I removed with a chain splitter) to a length of 2x4inch wood and used that as the chainwhip (worked a treat).  Spanner with a pipe on the removal tool, length of 2-b-4 chainwhip.  The sprocket suddenly cracked with application of tremendous force.  So much so I lunged forward and cracked my head on the crossbar and had a lump and bruise for a while (totally my own fault - I was obsessed with getting the bstrd thing off so much so I didnt role play what would happen if it did suddenly give)

Problem is:
Since putting it all lovingly back together, it looks amazing, but there's a lot of drag on the freewheel.  I am sure I might have damaged the Rohloff somehow as the ratchet when freewheeling makes a buzzing sound off and on- like an amplified mosquito noise.  And the freewheel feels stiff.  Imagine the chain is ridiculously tight (which it is not) - that's what it feels like.

It's really annoying

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2013, 04:16:22 pm »
Try this:

geocycle

« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2013, 04:19:55 pm »
Congratulations on getting the sprocket off.  It's not something to do when you have the vicar for tea!

On the noise, hopefully you shouldn't have damaged anything fundamentally.    As a first thought slacken the skewer a bit, then the chain tension, then as Dave suggests whack it with a mallet?

mattwhitford

« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2013, 04:48:22 pm »
That's great - thanks guys! Just followed the advice - whacked both sides with a mallet.  It IS much better.  But I cant remember now, if the sprocket should have some resistance or not.  It's not tense any longer but still a little resistance.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2013, 12:10:45 pm »
Some resistance is normal, this is due to the seal rubbing on the tubular section of the sprocket to form a seal.

Hope this helps.