Author Topic: Thorn audax crankset swap. Road to MTB  (Read 4152 times)

Philb

Re: Thorn audax crankset swap. Road to MTB
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 11:21:11 pm »
Hi all and thanks for the help. The derailleur works, just not very well. Slow to come up and down the rings. It may be just a case of tuning but to my eye, when the chain is on the big chain ring, the derailleur looks  too high.

Phil 

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 03:11:42 pm »
Hi,
Thorn appear to be the only frames that have this problem. I must admit to finding it a hindrance
at times. Plus if using the ' new ' one size fits all band on mech one has to put a spacer onto the bolts of the bottle cage.
I personally think Thorn should move these as it too appears a one size fits all problem of using the same seat tube for all sized bikes, just shorter.
I now own another brand of bike also and there are no fitting issues.
John

We puropsely put the bosses as low as possible on the tube and supply spacers with the cage bolts.  This gives the end user the maximum room for a tall bottle even on the small sizes, and lowers the centre of gravity of the weight in them (remember a 1l bottle weights 1kg+).

In this case the customer has e-mailed me photo's and he is using a braze on mech with a converter that offers no height adjustment.

Dave 

Philb

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 09:29:06 pm »
Thanks Dave. I didn't think it looked right.