Author Topic: Re: Mercury update  (Read 4999 times)

aggs

Re: Mercury update
« on: March 19, 2014, 10:04:08 pm »
Another update.
The Mercury is still in fine fettle.
Last year I bought a hub dynamo front wheel  through SJS and paired with an Exposure Light  and leave this running at all times for daytime visibility and night riding.
The light is bright enough for the back lanes and makes the bike a better all rounder in fading light after a long day in the saddle.

I have found on my frame that I can use a rear pannier with no heel clipping, and I if need to carry a smallish load tend to use 1 pannier. which I prefer to rack packs as the centre of gravity is lower and its easier to take off if commuting etc.
I wish I had tried this months earlier after using a rack pack!

The paint is still immaculate and a test to the quality of the paint work.
1 chip has been touched up which was due to my carelessness.!

I took the bike to France 2 summers ago and on a great 2 week  tour of France around and up  Mont Ventoux, but I could probably have used a lighter (faster) racer as the roads were like billiard tables, super smooth and we were not carrying anything except bare essentials. I recommend this area for cycling. Truly awesome.

one chain/ring replacement which needed me to buy some special tools to remove them, and a bit of patience to free the cog!! stuck on pretty hard!

The hub is running quieter now (I think) and still well pleased with it even though it is heavish, I am surprised Roholf have not come up with a light weight design yet I am sure the technology is there, or electric push button type shifting, that would be awesome!!

My main bike for training and touring on the (sometimes rough)  Scottish Borders roads is going strong for plenty of more adventures yet.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 09:02:00 pm by aggs »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 12:24:10 am »
All congratulations, Aggs, on the two years of bliss with your Mercury.

This is really helpful to those considering purchase...nothing like a real-world, first-person account of how the bike handles, holds up, and what your preferences were at purchase and later.

May many happy rides pass beneath your wheels. Hoping for a gallery photo or two!

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 05:39:39 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 12:10:14 pm »
aw i was expecting loads of photos.
best of luck with the french trip should be a cracker.

jags.

aggs

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 07:15:57 pm »
Thanks, when I really thought about it last night I reckon I may have cracked the 5000 miles with the bike.
I for got to add that mine has dropped bars and the Special shifter on the top bar.
Works well and feels robust and good.
The only real problem is if you want to shift gears whilst standing I.e on a hill, but You just ride around this and sit and enjoy the view.
I have it geared fairly low which is great when cycling with the wife as I can spin freely (she is a bit slower) which I cannot do on the higher geared Sportif which puts pressure on my knees when cycling slower at her speed.
I have about a 17 inch low gear from memory ( I think).
I have not put panniers on yet.
When touring for a week end away I used a front bar bag and a rear rack bag.
This was OK but you cannot beat 2 panniers .
I think the front wheel may rise on a steep hill with this set up, when pulling on the bars as its shorter than a tourer. But as I said this is untried.
Second oil change in next couple of weeks.

aggs

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 09:27:06 pm »
Mercury Update 2017.
Still going strong.
Still in same spec as I bought it, but with the dynamo hub now as stated in previous posts.
Have been running with Alpkit Bike packing kit this winter  and it really suits the bike and no rack required.
A small Velcro pint sized bag attached to handle bars beside stem, or 1 each side of stem in full Touring Spec.
A bag on top of top tube behind stem  and a frame bag under top tube.
Saddle bag behind seat which expands and contracts quite nicely depending on load volume.
Can carry quite a lot and the bike handles exactly the same and more "aero" than panniers.  I was sceptical at first as its very easy to load a pannier, but once organised I find this system work well.
First proper test was a mini adventure cycling up to Oban over 4 days carrying all kit in winter conditions in Feb  (inc snow!).
Stayed in some hostels, the wind was horrendous at times and I really noticed the bike feeling better in a headwind.
Now now when  commuting I am running the Alpkit bags and working ok for what I want to carry.
Again credit to the paint job, as its unmarked from the Velcro bags. 
Running 28mm Continental 4 seasons , although after a problem whilst on the adventure above I currently have a 25mm on the rear which I had to get on route and it feels ok, was thinking it may be a harsher ride but not noticeable . It was useful in winter for bit of extra clearance in rear  mudguards which occasionally got mud stuck in if the road was particularly muddy. ( I live in a farming area)  So may replace with same when it wears out.

Photo below before rack removed
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 08:28:15 am by aggs »

David Simpson

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 09:56:08 pm »
Any photos?

- DaveS

aggs

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 09:57:10 pm »
How do I post them?

David Simpson

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 10:06:53 pm »
This  thread will explain how to post photos:  http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=4313.0

By the way, there are many Mercury fans on this forum, so it is cruel to describe your Mercury without posting photos. :)

- DaveS

aggs

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 10:19:31 pm »
Will sort some out.

Mercury a great bike, mine is a lightweight build with dropped handlebars.
I did wonder whether I should have gone for a "Touring" build kit after owning for a while , but saved up for a Club Tour Mk4 for those duties, most of my miles are on the Mercury it feels a bit sportier.
Both great Bikes

aggs

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 10:45:09 pm »
In adventure mode.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 05:41:47 pm »
You've surely caught the knack for posting photos, Aggs; great to see!

Oh, jags (Anto)...! Have you seen Aggs' Mercury all loaded and ready?

Looks like the very picture of Lightweight Adventure Touring/Bikepacking.

Looks great unladen, too.

All the best,

Dan.

aggs

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 07:39:05 pm »
Thanks.

The fork is a steel audax spec fork.
I cannot remember the precise details of the fork at the moment and the brochure has changed a bit now, I have the details somewhere.

Not sure if oil seeps out of the hub seals , but very little was removed at last oil change!?

I need to service the cables , the gear change did get a bit stiff.
I have dribbled some oil into the cables which has helped a bit.

jags

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2017, 08:40:14 pm »
Hell of a job.

Anto.

ridgeback63

Re: Re: Mercury update
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 06:45:31 pm »
I have the same pump,but I keep mine in the saddlebag,lovely looking bike.