Author Topic: Bike accessible bothies in Scotland  (Read 17276 times)

gma

Re: Bike accessible bothies in Scotland
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2016, 12:48:10 pm »
That looks like a superb trip Rual. Thanks for the list of bothies – a Scottish bothy trip is definitely on my todo list, so it should come in very handy when planning…

rualexander

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2017, 08:05:35 pm »
Just back from this year's bothy tour, three nights, three and a half days, three bothies visited.
Left the car in Moffat, short cycle in to Brattleburn bothy. Next day, back out to road and headed north up the old A74 to Elvanfoot then south and in to Daer reservoir, track over the hills from there to Kettleton Byre bothy was hard going due to gradients, snow, and rough surfaces.
From Kettleton Byre, took the track out to the minor road that runs south to Forest of Ae, then up track to Burleywhag bothy.
Final day, out to road again, down to Ae village, then onto forest track cycle route through to Moffat.
Good weather again apart from first afternoon ride in to Brattleburn.
Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rualexander/albums/72157678588332933

rualexander

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2017, 11:00:13 pm »
Map of tour

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2017, 11:20:40 am »
Excellent photos! I stayed one night in Betty-Mouats Böd before taking a flight from Shetland to Bergen on the North Sea Cycle Route back in 2013. This Böd is five minutes by taxi from the airport and a great place to build/disassemble and pack you bike after/before a flight. The standard is good and the place was clean. All facilities - showers/toilets and kitchen and bunk beds. Just put your £10 in the plastic sandwich box!

http://www.camping-bods.com/Betty-Mouats-g.asp

I haven't tried any other Böds on Shetland but if they are of the same standard and accessible by bike it would be an ideal accommodation option for a cycle tour of the Shetland islands.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 11:22:17 am by StuntPilot »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2017, 05:31:32 pm »
I'll second the Shetland bods.
I have stayed at Windhouse x3.
Excellent value.
I think the price has increased from £10/ night but they can't be more than £15 now.
I used it as a base to tour around the island and visited Muckle Flugga to start my Scottish end to end tour 3 years ago.

Back to the bothy list; I hope to do the Hebridean Way next week so will try to incorporate a few.
Kick off from Inverness then Fort Bill, Oban and ferry to Castlebay.
Fingers crossed for only mild gales.
😉
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

RST Scout

• Janet
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2017, 12:22:42 am »
What wonderful photos and what great tracks. Thanks for posting. Love it.
Scout & Bettina's slave!