Author Topic: retrofitting a rohloff hub ...  (Read 4859 times)

hoogie

retrofitting a rohloff hub ...
« on: August 05, 2006, 12:17:11 am »
thinking of retrofitting a rohloff hub to my thorn nomad ...

any thoughts? any recommendations? anyone done it?

Roberto

Re: retrofitting a rohloff hub ...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 06:38:17 pm »
I've read somewhere (other forums, I think) that when fitted to a derailled bike, the Rohloff hub doesn't work as smooth as with dedicated dropouts. And I think that replacing the rear dropouts and BB shell of your Nomad would be a major job.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 08:55:20 am »
The Rohloff is at its best in a bike designed for it.

However you could look at this as a 2-step upgrade.

Step 1 Get and fit am after market Rohloff Speedhub.  No frame changes required but you will have to use the chain tensioner supplied with the hub.  If you decide you don’t like the Rohloff (unlikely) you can always sell it on ebay with high resale value.

Step 2 Phone SJSC and ask them to sell you a Raven Tour minus the back wheel, Speedhub and shifter. (The only Extra part for the Rohloff you are going to need is the AXLE PLATE OEM 1 ~ £15)
When it arrives swap the Rohloff across and enjoy.  Don’t forget to re-set-up the Nomad and sell it on Ebay.

If you do decide to go down this 2 step path I would Phone SJSC FIRST to confirm which Speedhub you need and how much it will cost for a Raven minus it bits!

Good Luck

hoogie

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 07:47:53 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Rob

I've read somewhere (other forums, I think) that when fitted to a derailled bike, the Rohloff hub doesn't work as smooth as with dedicated dropouts. And I think that replacing the rear dropouts and BB shell of your Nomad would be a major job.

i actually checked this out yesterday with a local bike builder ... it isn't that much more to get a whole new frame made, and i don't really think i could do something like this to my nomad ...

hoogie

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 07:58:43 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by stutho

The Rohloff is at its best in a bike designed for it.

However you could look at this as a 2-step upgrade.

Step 1 Get and fit am after market Rohloff Speedhub.  No frame changes required but you will have to use the chain tensioner supplied with the hub.  If you decide you don’t like the Rohloff (unlikely) you can always sell it on ebay with high resale value.

Step 2 Phone SJSC and ask them to sell you a Raven Tour minus the back wheel, Speedhub and shifter. (The only Extra part for the Rohloff you are going to need is the AXLE PLATE OEM 1 ~ £15)
When it arrives swap the Rohloff across and enjoy.  Don’t forget to re-set-up the Nomad and sell it on Ebay.

If you do decide to go down this 2 step path I would Phone SJSC FIRST to confirm which Speedhub you need and how much it will cost for a Raven minus it bits!

Good Luck

hey you think like me ... this is more or less what i am thinking, although maybe not sell the nomad at the end if i can get away with it ...