Author Topic: The spoken word  (Read 3364 times)

Matt2matt2002

The spoken word
« on: March 13, 2014, 11:39:37 am »
Digging through a spares box, preparing for my first oil change, and came across 6 new spokes supplied with my Raven.
unused and sellotaped together.
I notice one had a strange end to it.
I am not up on spokes at all so could someone please comment?

A couple of snaps to give you an idea of what I have.

Its the lower left spoke in the picture

Lower left again. Appears to have something like a mushroom head to it

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

jags

Re: The spoken word
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 01:26:01 pm »
Ah ha  the mystery spoke i can tell you straight off before the experts come in.

I have no idea. ::)jags.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 01:43:18 pm »
That odd-looking spoke is the other end of that one spoke, Matt; what you see is the nipple screwed onto the threads. The others should look the same at the other end.

All the best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 01:54:07 pm »
He's sending you up, Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 06:20:07 pm »
That odd-looking spoke is the other end of that one spoke, Matt; what you see is the nipple screwed onto the threads. The others should look the same at the other end.

All the best,

Dan.
Sorry Dan. I usually follow you but not this time.
One spoke is definitely different.
I think
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 07:23:00 pm »
Matt,

I know not everyone is equally inclined mechanically or equally familiar with bicycle components, so I always try to answer genuine requests sincerely. Maybe it is the teacher (former university professor and professional bicycle tour-group leader) in me that values education and access to it, so I'll have another go.

Matt, the spokes in your wheels have two parts:
a) The spoke itself, with a hooked bend and head at one end and rolled threads at the other, joined by a shaft.
b) A nipple. This usually has four sides or flats, and serves like a "nut" to thread onto the threads at the end of the spoke. Once the spoke and nipple are assembled in your wheel (between hub and rim), turning the nipple with a wrench takes up slack and tensions the spoke properly, making your wheel stiff and ridable. A spoke nipple looks like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoke_nipple

In your bundle of six spokes, you should have a nipple screwed onto the end of each spoke. It looks to me like one spoke/nipple compo has been reversed compared to the others when they were taped together -- your photo shows a bunch of spoke heads and one nipple on the end of a spoke. That's the only difference I see. At the other end, you should see a bunch of nipples and one head.

Best,

Dan.