Author Topic: Brooks Saddles are they really that good.  (Read 14686 times)

alfie1952

Brooks Saddles are they really that good.
« on: March 08, 2014, 09:54:56 pm »
I may be in the minority,but I just cannot get used to my Brooks saddle, it has been on and off more times than I can mention. Also I do not find it as comfortable as  the Specialized one I have on at the moment or my Selle Italia Flite I have on my other bike. So is it that people who ride Thorn or high class touring bikes  think it is expected of them to be shown to be riding a Brooks, or is it really as comfortable as people say. Also for the people who have more than one bike, do they all have Brooks, if not do they find that much of a difference in comfort whilst out and about on their other bikes.

Dan if this is in wrong spot please put it into the appropriate one.

Regards, Alfie
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 10:00:40 pm by alfie1952 »

jags

Re: Brooks Saddles are they really that good.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 10:11:21 pm »
Alfie i had the champion b17 on the sherpa comfy straight out of the box.on my other bikes i have the fizik alanti expensive but great saddles,i went through the wars with saddle sores until my son  brought me home my first fizik alanti from belgium he was racing out there.
fantastic saddle never had a problen since (touch wood) ::)

but this may sound bonkers ,well coming from me maybe not,
but on a loaded touring bike the brooks was way better than the fizik. i can't explain that but it was a fact.so give the brooks time you will grow into it as me ma used to say.

jags.

triaesthete

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 12:00:19 am »

Brooks it is for me now Alfie. I've given up on padded shorts, chamois cream and all that jazz and the good old brooks b17s are all day comfortable for me, never a pimple to fret over. Most of my other saddles now feel like splitting wedges particularly the Flites!

Mind you, next time I need to buy I might try one of the Spa cycles copies...

Happy backside
Ian

onrbikes

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 12:00:36 am »
The first brooks I had was put on my custom built bike.

A Conquest which eventually became the flyer. The one with the springs.
Heavy, it was agony to ride on, but I persevered for years, eventually selling it on Ebay.

After reading so many good things own a B17 on each of my bikes, and love them. They do feel best with cycle shorts.

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 02:44:24 am »
Ride what you're comfortable with, Alfie. I'm a Brooks fan too, because the one I have suits me; but most people think it is atrociously heavy and that the three coil springs will cause it to be unstable under you. But I like my B73 because it was comfortable out of the box. I take the view, with shoes and saddles and watch straps, that if they aren't comfortable straight away, it isn't your problem; you just go elsewhere and get someone else's product. All this mystique about Brooks and some other cycling products is counterproductive to an informed choice. That said, a lot of experienced cyclists get along just fine with Brooks, and I'm am not, repeat not, going back to gel saddles.

A couple of points. Has anyone told you yet that a Brooks saddle should be set up very slightly nose up? And that it should in most instances be as far back on your seat pin as the short rails permit?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 01:40:23 am by Andre Jute »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 04:15:29 am »
Hi Alfie!

I went through the Saddle Wars early on before finding happiness for many years with the Avocet Touring II line of saddles. They had a thin leather cover over two bumps of foam and a thinned plastic shell beneath. Like many things, they're no longer made.

I remember eyeing Brooks saddles and being very skeptical. Most of those available locally had sat in sun-drenched display cases for decades and were hard as fiberglass. I don't think any amount of Proofide would have helped. I tried a lovely Fujita Pro that came with a used bike. The thing was beautifully made of 1/4in thick water buffalo hide and was unfortunately too narrow for me; I ended up sitting on the steel cantle plate at the rear. I sold it to a neighbor who rode with much lower handlebars and he loved it.

For me, the wider B.17 suits my more upright stance with 45° back and drop handlebars at saddle-top height. I've found my B17s to be visually attractive, yes, but also comfortable even/especially on 300-400km day rides. My only present complaint is Brooks seems to be making the B.17 Standard out of more compliant leather, and I prefer mine harder to be longer-lasting. I've several here sitting in the boxes for resale 'cos they're too soft for my preference. I will probably buy B.17 Champion Specials in future to get the thicker leather I prefer.

Alfie, A couple things to watch. Be sure the Brooks you choose is wide enough to accommodate your sit-bones (ischial tuberosities) on the leather, so you're not sitting on the metal flange at the back. The saddle you choose in this way will very much reflect your position on the bike. Most people's sit-bones are set in such a way as to be effectively narrower when seated bent-over, and become effectively wider when sitting more upright. Match the saddle to position/need!

Second, heed Andre's advice about setup. Though I prefer my Brooks to eventually sit level, they start out slightly nose-high till broken-in a bit. That can be a key factor in avoiding numbness. If you are numb, it is worthwhile determining "where". The pudendal nerve can be compressed, leading to numbness in the ehm, nether regions. Placement and positioning are key factors here, but Brooks also make the Imperial with a cutout top intended to relieve pressure: http://www.brooksengland.com/catalogue-and-shop/saddles/touring+&+trekking/B17+Imperial/ If the numbness in at the sit-bones, then I suspect a problem with positioning/placement where you're carrying too much weight on your bottom for the width of the saddle.

Third, placement on the rails. As I recall, the B.17 was designed about 1897, and is still manufactured on essentially the same machinery. In those days, bicycles has much more relaxed geometry than at present, so it can be had to get a Brooks (especially the more sporting models) in the right position unless they sit far back on the rails. However, if you do this, take care. That cantilevers a lot of weight on the rails, and they've been known to snap (I've broken several) -- especially if they have the older, chromed rails that sometimes suffered hydrogen embrittlement due to improper chroming technique by subcontractors. My approach has been to use a seatpost with a long-layback clamp to get the clamp more nearly in the center of the rails to avoid undue stress when used for years on rough roads. The effect is to get the saddle back as Andre endorses, but to do so with minimal stress on the rails.

Finally, remember we're all individuals and saddles just aren't "fits all" solutions. I think it is more important to find a saddle that fits *you* than to follow the herd, and certainly one should not do so for fashion's sake at the expense of comfort, fit, or enjoyment. If a Brooks doesn't fit, then move on to something that works better for you. Remember: No one will see it clearly with you atop it!

I hope something in the above will help. Brooks are nice saddles that work for many, but don't meet the needs of everyone.

Best,

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 12:47:33 pm »
Some prefer leather, some prefer other-than-leather.  I prefer leather saddles but have a plastic one on my utility bike that I store outside.

The B17 (or Flyer which is the sprung version of the B17) is too wide for me and feels too flat in the back, I use Brooks Conquest on most bikes, that is a discontinued model that essentially is a Brooks Pro with springs.  But, I have drop bars which means that I vary the amount of forward lean quite a bit from when my hands are on the tops of the bars to on the drops.  If I used flat mountain bike bars so that I always was more upright with the same amount of forward lean, I might be able to adjust the B17 or Flyer to fit about right.  Next month I plan to do a off road trip with my Nomad that is more of a mountain bike route than road, as an experiment I plan to use a Flyer for that since I do not expect to lean over to use the drops very much on that route.

If you prefer a different saddle, use it instead.  Leather takes a different shape better than plastic which is virtually unmoldable, but if you are lucky and have found a plastic seat that fits you, that is great.  It takes me many hours to get a new leather saddle broken in to be about right.  One of my Conquests is still in the process of breaking in.

I have a B17 (rarely use it), a Flyer (occasionally use it) and four Conquests.

Andre Jute

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 06:44:14 pm »
Quite as many Brooks preferences as there are Brooks models!

Paulson

• My Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 07:09:14 pm »
Brooks it is for me now Alfie. I've given up on padded shorts, chamois cream and all that jazz and the good old brooks b17s are all day comfortable for me, never a pimple to fret over. Most of my other saddles now feel like splitting wedges particularly the Flites!

Mind you, next time I need to buy I might try one of the Spa cycles copies...

Happy backside
Ian

Having also owned a couple of B17s, I can vouch for the Spa Brooks copies; I have the Aire titanium on my Spa Audax.  Less than 1/2 the price of the equivalent Brooks, but a comfortable and light saddle so far; I spent some of the money I saved on one of their very nice leather saddle bags!!!

FrogPrince

• 60-something and loving it.
    • Cycle Somerset
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 08:17:22 pm »

My approach has been to use a seatpost with a long-layback clamp to get the clamp more nearly in the center of the rails to avoid undue stress when used for years on rough roads. The effect is to get the saddle back as Andre endorses, but to do so with minimal stress on the rails.

Dan
I'm having the problem of no more rear adjustment and riding on the rivets......... can you recommend a seatpost for my Raven.

Colin
Sell your Clothes but keep your thoughts.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 08:36:34 pm »
Hi Colin!

I was about to recommend the black Thorn/Zoom long-layback seatpost that came with Sherpa and my Nomad, but I don't see it listed at SJS Cycles anymore (!): http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/seat-posts-rigid-dept292_pg1/?geoc=us#filterkey=brand&brand=THORN,ZOOM&page=1&page=1

Perhaps Dave Whittle can tell us if it is still available, or of a similar high-value alternative?

It was a nice seatpost for a reasonable price with lots of layback. The clamp adjustments were a bit coarse, but reversing it split the difference so all good.

Nitto make some outstanding alternatives, but they are more expensive and...silver.

I'll keep looking, Colin.

Best,

Dan.

Neil Jones

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 09:14:42 pm »
+1 for the Zoom Layback Seatpost, although I don't think it's been in stock for some time now. If SJS got them back in stock I would buy another as a spare.
I have a Brooks Team Pro on my RST, very rarely wear padded shorts and I wouldn't have any other saddle. I love the fact that I can slide an inch or so in either direction to relieve pressure on long rides, although saddles like hiking boots are a very personal thing. One plus point with Brooks is if you buy one and aren't happy with it you will always get a good second hand price for it on eBay or similar sites.
Neil

FrogPrince

• 60-something and loving it.
    • Cycle Somerset
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 10:45:22 pm »
Hi Colin!

I was about to recommend the black Thorn/Zoom long-layback seatpost that came with Sherpa and my Nomad, but I don't see it listed at SJS Cycles anymore (!): http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/seat-posts-rigid-dept292_pg1/?geoc=us#filterkey=brand&brand=THORN,ZOOM&page=1&page=1

When I picked up my bike I wanted one of those but they didn't have them then .....that was last September :-(
Sell your Clothes but keep your thoughts.

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 08:54:43 am »
When I picked up my bike I wanted one of those but they didn't have them then .....that was last September :-(

They are out of production i'm afraid, Zoom no longer have the ability to make them.

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 06:25:47 pm »
They are out of production i'm afraid, Zoom no longer have the ability to make them.

I use a Thompson Elite layback post, which is superb, but expensive. I bought it for the 16mm set back, and for the micro-adjustable tilt. I found it really allowed me to fine-tune the Brooks B17 saddle - no more numbness or sliding up or down. Brilliant!

I've said it here before, but IMHO, one of the chief benefits of a shiny leather saddle is the reduction in friction and chafing. I've never used one of the narrow saddles, but I'm guessing they would be even better, as long as your weight was still supported by your sit bones, and not in between.