Author Topic: Pedals - need some advice  (Read 2896 times)

Templogin

Pedals - need some advice
« on: March 15, 2014, 06:12:12 pm »
Hi Folks

I have an eXp with a pair of pedals that I cant get on with due to the cages and straps.  I have decided on a new pair of pedals but have absolutely no idea which to buy.  I know that they need to be flat as I wear either trainers or boots to ride in.  I have no wish to wear cycle shoes, get involved in cleats etc.

SJS are my shop of choice and I have a budget of £50.  If you were fitting flat pedals to your Thorn, what would you recommend?  Any thoughts about the Wellgo B144?

Chris M

Re: Pedals - need some advice
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 07:39:26 pm »
Hi Templogin

I fitted these (in black) to my Club Tour and so far have been impressed by them, no foot slippage despite all the wet weather we've had. If I need to change foot position I have to consciously lift my foot first as the pins just will not allow the sole to slide into another position:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/nuke-proof/2013-proton-alloy-cromo-flat-pedals-ec050426

Chris

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 07:45:06 pm »
When I was looking for pedals, I considered studded pedals, and a whole bunch of experienced cyclists told me not to do it unless I really like scarred shins.

The ones I normally recommend, unless you have very large feet, is the VP191, which is a sealed bearing rubber block pedal fitted by many top European makers. (When I complained about the quality of the pedals they fitted as standard on their most expensive bike, Trek Benelux sent me a gift of a pair of VP191; they also come as standard on bikes like my Utopia, or used to in the good times when Utopia could get away with charging five grand for a bike -- they now fit something cheaper.) The VP-191 are silky smooth and last forever; their only downside is that they aren't huge at 96mm wide, though I've now become used to them. They're very comfortable pedals, in the sense that you soon forget they're there, and only remember when there is a thread like this one. I have several pairs; I just order another pair every time I buy a new bike, because I know the factory pedals won't be as good as the VP191. Best of all, at around twenty quid on the high street, they are cheap enough for me to give away to my pedal pals. You can see them all over the place under other names, and at prices higher than your budget, but they're exactly the same pedal made for those brands by VP; branded VP, the 191 sells on the street for under twenty quid. SJS appears to be out of them, but others have stock.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 10:09:38 pm by Andre Jute »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 07:49:01 pm »
Yeah on Andre's recommendation I put those VP-191 pedals on my Nomad and have been perfectly happy since!

Swislon

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 08:36:27 pm »
I have these on all my bikes and my wife loves them as well. I like the slightly extra length and can move my feet backwards and forwards if i want a bit more power or conversely spin more.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/mks-lambda-wide-platform-pedals-prod17511/

http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/pe1.htm

I put 4 or 5 pins in both sides to help the foot to stick and they have been brilliant in all weathers. But they need the pins in wet weather. I haven't skinned my shins yet in two years but you do have to be careful.

Steve

jags

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 08:40:38 pm »
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-pd-a530-spd-single-sided-touring-pedals-prod14743/

flat one side clipless other nice pair of shimano shoes to match and your away in a hack.

Templogin

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 08:53:32 pm »
Not the response I expect to be honest.  I imagined people would be suggesting that I would need to double my budget!

Having looked at the possibilities I think that I will go with Andre's VP191s.

One of my M**lt*ns has a pair of rat trap pedals and I am beginning to think that it is them that causes the pins and needles in my feet.

Thanks for the help folks