Author Topic: Thorn drop handlebars AND Gilles Berthoud's Rohloff shifter. Now SOLD.  (Read 4410 times)

triaesthete

I have these for sale in good used condition now I have moved to another set up. They have covered approx 4000km.

No scratches or deformation on clamping area of the bars. They have not been crashed or bashed in any way.

Shifter has a couple of cosmetic surface marks but all screws, threads and components are complete and in good order. Supplied with original instruction sheet.  24mm version to suit the bars.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gilles-berthoud-gilles-berthoud-twister-for-rohloff-hubs-silver-prod27131/   (24mm version)

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-drop-handlebars-for-gilles-berthouds-rohloff-shifter-prod28185/  (44cm wide)

£80 the pair, including tracked and insured delivery to UK mainland.

I also  have a couple of 25.4mm +-6 degree MTB stems in 110 or 120mm lengths  if required.

Please send me a personal message if interested.

Happy shifting

Ian
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 09:26:30 pm by triaesthete »

sweats

Re: Thorn drop handlebars AND Gilles Berthoud's Rohloff shifter.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 05:39:37 pm »
Hi Ian
Are these still available? I may be interested. Just thinking about my options. PM me and let me know and I will get back to you. Where are you located?
Thanks
Chris

triaesthete

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 06:11:55 pm »

Bars are too deep for Chris, so they're still available folks! Roll up, roll up!

Happy to split them if required. £65 for the shifter.

Happy days
Ian

triaesthete

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 01:51:39 pm »
No takers?

fossala

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 04:57:24 pm »
I'll take the shifter but can I see pictures of the scratches first?

triaesthete

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 11:13:32 pm »

Still for sale.......

triaesthete

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 11:31:00 pm »

Someone must want these  ::)

davefife

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 08:41:50 am »
Ian, I have toyed/thought about the idea of drops on the RST but its hardly used now, due to scarce supply of cycling time; although hopefully in the future....

Do you (or anyone else) have some images of the shifter in situ, I can imagine it but would like to see it.  Also anyone any links to or tales of their impressions of using it?  Sorry, but no time to do my own research :-\
cheers
Dave

Donerol

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 12:59:33 pm »
I was quite tempted, but the bars are too wide for me at 44cm, and I'm not entirely convinced by the shifter, either.

triaesthete

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 08:37:38 am »

Thanks for the replies guys. I bought both of these because I like to experiment with new set ups and innovative niche products. The only real way you can encourage such efforts is to buy the early products  to fund some further development.

No pics from me Dave as I have an existentialist approach to bikes, seldom take photos and of course it's different now. Googling "Berthoud shifter" should give you what you want.

Shifter works well with some self evident issues around cable sealing, but it's not a problem for UK road use. Mine is marked because I had to wrap cloth bar tape around it to get a grip in the wet. No one else makes one to do this job except Comotion and theirs is a stupendous diameter as they've made it for 31.8mm, and even more expensive. Danneaux has written about this one.

A used on would also go on a drop bar end and not cost much more than a hubbub bar end adapter  ;)  Thorn also sell a converter to allow use on 22 or 24mm bars http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gilles-berthoud-gilles-berthoud-clamp-ring-for-gb-twister-for-rohloff-shifter-prod32760/

Bars are nice quality but very deep drop, too deep for me as it transpires ::)  I seem to recall reading in some Thorn blurb that they could only get one size and shape done due to cost constraints. I just wish they'd gone for 42cm compacts.... No one else addresses this issue...

Happy days
Ian

davefife

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 11:05:37 am »
I have an existentialist approach to bikes

nice one ;D I used to too, but its difficult now that I make my living with them, economics and philosophy mixing is a difficult circle to square?  Discuss ???

agree with your 44cm thoughts, I am a 42 on a road bike.  I will leave the RST with flat bars for now, its not going anywhere.
safe cycling
Dave

triaesthete

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 02:31:09 pm »

Indeed Dave!  I've always followed my interests workwise. I started in a bicycle shop and now work in the motorcycle trade. Could never see the point in a "proper" job  ::)

You'll be like the Cordon Bleu chef who eats beans on toast for his tea, or the cobbler with holes in his shoes then  :D

And yes, I think even us fortunate souls who work with what we like suffer some cognitive dissonance and enthusiasm fatigue occasionally.... ???

What improved my cycling uptake most when life got busy was setting myself up to ride without special clothes and shoes so a 20 minute or 100mile  ride is a practical proposition just for unlocking the bike...
Happy days, and more of them, indeed
Ian