Author Topic: new lightweight panniers Arkle.  (Read 7571 times)

jags

new lightweight panniers Arkle.
« on: February 09, 2014, 09:25:05 pm »
http://www.arkelpanniers.co.uk/uk/all-categories/randonneur-series/dry-lites.html

going ultralight these panniers look fantastic by a great maker
any comments lads.

jags.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: new lightweight panniers Arkle.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 09:37:22 pm »
jags,

I can't comment on these in particular, though they certainly do look very nice.

In general, lightweight panniers do sometimes require a bit more care to last as long as their more sturdily constructed, heavier brethren.

You wouldn't want to have sharp-pokey stuff inside, and I would imagine they might not fare the best in a sliding fall. I do see they have a pretty basic mounting arrangement (bungee and hooks) and it looks as if there might be no back stiffener, so some careful packing might be needed.

I know my Ortlieb Plus models weigh a lot with nothing in them, bur are sturdy as all get-out; the Cordura nylon outer shells are close to bombproof. I think lightweight panniers are a great way to save weight...but require greater care and may have a shorter lifespan. Horses for courses, really.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 10:07:29 pm »
yeah but definitely the way of the future Dan  ,everything else in the touring gear has gone light weight if not ultra lightweight so why not panniers.
personally think its a super idea, not knocking ortlieb there the best for sure  but they haven't done to much in the way of making a lightweight pannier system ,so one up to arkel.

if all goes according to plan this year i might just invest in a set of those. ;)

Pavel

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 06:27:53 pm »
On our tour there was one in our party (when we met up and rode for a few days with three gents) who opted for lightweight bags.
He was constantly on the lookout for more duct tape.   :'(

triaesthete

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 07:13:59 pm »

Surely a true ultralight tourer wouldn't need such big bags, they'd only fill up  ;D

My Camper longflap has almost the same volume, is bulletproof and would weigh and cost less than these and almost any steel tubus rack put together  ??? 

Brings us back to the Colin Chapman adage: Lightweight, reliable, low cost. Choose any two.

I think you'd consume these rather than invest in them.

Careful with dat purse Anto :o

jags

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 07:38:55 pm »
Ian i have a box full of new lightweight gear as yet never used,and the way things are going i'll never get to use them either,but i wont make the mistake of selling everything i have,never know the day i'll get to use them... ::)

Andre Jute

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 10:19:13 pm »
I think you'd consume these rather than invest in them.

+1

Like Pavel says, they will sooner or later become duct tape specials. Better to cut down on the amount of gear, and the weight of bare essentials, than to get everything ruined and spoil even a single weekend tour by trying to save a few ounces on the outer packaging.

Says Andre, who has leather and steel bicycle luggage!

jags

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 10:36:03 pm »
yes i suppose, it's hard to beat ortlieb last a lifetime i reckon especally the ware i give them  8)

if i had a lightweight tent somethng like the akto only twice as big i would have a great set up.

John Saxby

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 02:27:54 am »
In Arkel we trust...That may be Canajan solidarity at work, though, not cyclists' knowledge.

I'll keep an ear open for reviews of others' experience with the Arkel lightweight bags, Anto, and post what I hear.  Arkel has a well-earned rep for quality, but I'd be inclined to let others test the durability of these panniers before buying.

Not sure I'll ever buy the lightweight ones -- I have a set of bombproof T (=Touring) panniers, fore and aft, and I reckon they'll last a very long time.