Author Topic: My Two Thorns  (Read 35925 times)

Neil Jones

Re: My Two Thorns
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2014, 09:46:21 pm »
Looking good Joe, yes I reckon a nice honey Brooks Team Pro (titanium railed) saddle with matching bar tape would finish your bike off beautifully. Love your shallow drop bars and I too would be reluctant to get rid of the Royce BB.
Looking forward to the updates,
Neil.

Joe B

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2014, 11:30:37 am »
Well, I'm nearly there with the Audax however I'm away from home for a few days again now so I won't get any further. I managed to get the guards and cables on on Sunday during a short session in the work shop but that's all. I seem to have lost my cassette removal tool so the new 12-30 cassette and chain didn't get fitted.

P1030142 by Joe.Audax, on Flickr

jags

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2014, 04:01:34 pm »
class.

Chris M

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2014, 06:08:04 pm »
That really does look the business. Can I ask what the cable ties are for on the chainstay?

Joe B

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2014, 08:09:50 pm »
It is holding down the Shark-Fin chain stay protector. The thicker middle zip-tie will go, it's only there while the adhesive bonds.

Joe B

« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2014, 08:58:08 pm »
Finally finished the Audax. It might be a while before I get the Tandem completed but as my stoker is currently hobbling about on crutches I don't suppose that will matter.

P1030147 by Joe.Audax, on Flickr

P1030149 by Joe.Audax, on Flickr

P1030150 by Joe.Audax, on Flickr

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2014, 01:09:25 am »
Well, Joe, your Audax just turned out magnificently. It looks every bit the new bike -- but even better for being fully sorted.

It just looks gorgeous, especially in the outside lighting.

Sure hope your stoker is feeling better soon and can leave the crutches behind to serve once again on active duty as "Rear Admiral" on the soon-to-be-complete matching blue tandem.

A real treat to see; thanks for the photos!

Best,

Dan. (...who sees the chain is on the go-fast Big Chainring, eager to fly)

sg37409

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2014, 10:25:46 pm »
aye, no bad…..

Like the handlebars and stem. The frame looks fantastic. Kind of with Id gone for a flamboyant,  maybe next time

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2014, 12:49:19 am »
Kind of with Id gone for a flamboyant...
Dunno, Steve. That orange looks fantastic, especially with the black for contrast.

Best,

Dan. (...who would be terribly torn between the blue and the orange if he had to choose)

Joe B

« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2014, 08:34:41 pm »
Here is a photo of the Audax taken about a week ago, finally complete and on the maiden voyage of her post refit second commission.

The journey was a very fine 4 mile ride to Newcastle Central Station in glorious late afternoon spring sunshine. Followed by a 30 Miler ride from Glasgow Central Station to where I'm based, in persistent heavy rain. She wasn't very shiny and new looking once I'd arrived.

The only change to the bike apart from the paint were new bars and a 12-30 cassette, (replacing a 12-25). I had been worried as to whether I'd miss the close ratios of the 12-25 but so far (admittedly not many miles as yet) I'm liking the 12-30.
The new bars are Nitto Randonneurs, they seem to have a further forward throw than my old ones and might take a little tweaking to get right. That said for the last few months I've been riding round solely on my other bike fitted with Thorn Comfort Bars so any drops would probably have felt a little odd.

I'll be finishing and test riding the tandem tomorrow, I've had a bit of a delay with it on account of losing one to the stepped ferrules for the S&S couplings. SJS were out of stock at time and it took me a while to find anyone else who even had the foggiest idea what I was asking for. 

Photo0034 by Joe.Audax, on Flickr

jags

« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2014, 08:24:11 pm »
joe can i ask please what brakes have you on that beauti.

jags.

Joe B

« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2014, 09:35:42 pm »
Hi Jags,

I think they are an older version of these.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tektro-tektro-r539-long-drop-caliper-brake-set-prod24458/

I won't be able to take a look until Friday, if they are not the Tektro 539's I'll re-post stating what they actually are.

Joe B

« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2014, 09:54:43 pm »
After much confusion with the Rohloff shifter cables I finally have a ride-able Tandem again.

Photo0051 by Joe.Audax, on Flickr

Photo0047 by Joe.Audax, on Flickr

Unfortunately she won't be getting any use for a little while, due to the nature of my work I'm about to vanish from civilisation for a couple of months soon.   

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2014, 12:28:32 am »
Simply breathtaking, Joe -- as beautiful in its own way as your refurbished Audax.

Wow.

What a stunner!

Fantastic job of (re)assembly, too. So hope you can get out on it 'soon as work permits.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2014, 10:27:57 am »
Thanks Joe i reckon they will do me fine.

jags.