Author Topic: Anyone tried Putoline Wax  (Read 8152 times)

phopwood

Anyone tried Putoline Wax
« on: February 07, 2014, 02:47:46 pm »
I don't want to start another debate about chain lube.  Have any of you used this wax, I am thinking of giving it a try I have been using MucOff PTFE dry motor bike lube it is very good and clean but does not last well in the rain. Which we seem to have far too much of at the moment.

http://www.putoline.com/en/products/catalogue/segp_maint/pchmp/559/maintenance-products/chain-maintenance-products/chain-wax/tab-omschrijving/

All the best.

Peter

jags

Re: Anyone tried Putoline Wax
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 03:30:01 pm »
looks like a lot of hassle using it but if it works should be well worth it.

sweats

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 04:19:43 pm »
Hi Peter
I can recommend it. Nice and sticky and gets into the chain rollers and plates. Reminds me of my motorcycling days. I use it with my hebie chainglider. Quite pricey but one tin will last ages.
Regards
Chris

phopwood

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 04:25:27 pm »
Chris,

I was thinking that 1Kg of wax would go a long long way, do you find it keeps clean and lasts or does it get dirtly and wash off quickly.

Peter

sweats

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 09:01:43 pm »
Have not used without the chainglider. It used to stay on the motorbike chain!

martinf

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 08:04:39 am »
A long time ago I tried a similar product (may have been Duckham's brand). It worked well in the dry and on clean roads (like everything else), but picked up grit in bad weather commuting and off road. Once dirty, it was a hassle to clean the chain.

I gave the tin to my brother, who rides motorbikes. I think the greater speed on motorbikes means muck tends to be flung off the chain, so wax may be more suitable here.

Wax might work better under a Chainglider, but so does everything else, including the original factory lube on new chains.

On bikes with exposed chains, I find wiping chain with rag, then oiling, then wiping off excess is much easier to do than removing chain and heating wax.

With the current weather I do the wipe/oil/wipe routine two or three times a week on the Brompton I use for train-assisted commuting.

IanW

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 04:35:49 pm »
Well I can't actually comment on *Putoline* [Chain] Wax.

But I have used "LinkLyfe" Chain Wax for many years. It is no-longer available under that product name but it is basically graphite-loaded parafin wax.

I remove the chain, clean it in parafin, giving it a good scrub with a soft (brass) wire brush and a good swill to remove the grit and then hang it up to "drip dry" over the parafin container.

I then melt the parafin wax on an electric hob (safer than using gas hob) and place the cleaned chain into the molten wax.
(A length of garden-tying wire through the last bushing helps to fish it out and hang it up later)

I make sure that the chain is fully immersed and that the wax completely covers it and give it all a *very* gentle "simmer" (enough to see the grahite to show convection currents in the molten wax)

When *all* the bubbles have ceased (i.e. no more air trapped inside the chain link bushings) I remove the chain and hang it up to drip-dry again.

Once cool the chain becomes stiff / rigid with solid wax I re-fit the chain.

The only other chain maintenance is to run the chain through a cloth to remove any excess wax that gets forced out during the  first few days after a chean + re-wax.

It is a palaver but I only have to do this once per year and I basically do not bother to lubricate the chain at any other time.

I reckon that chains last about twice as long compared to regular cleaning and then using other sorts of lubrication.

The only other tip is to buy silver (i.e. chrome-plated chains) as it is much easier to see when they have become excessively dirty and in need of a re-waxing.

Oh, and *always* remember to use good cycle-clips / ankle-bands, because road-muck + graphite + wax *does not* come off clothes.

My 1Kg tin is now down to about 1/2 full after about 10 years of 2 bicycles once-per-year re-lube.

So it looks like I will be buying a tin of Putoline Chain Wax before much longer.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 05:37:45 pm »
Hi Ian!

What a terrific, comprehensive report; thanks!

By any chance, have have you kept mileage figures to get some idea of actual chain life? Double the life is really good. Is this on derailleur drivetrains? If so, I'd expect the service life to be even longer on an IGH drivetrain.

I'm guessing the graphite is what makes the lubricating properties of the paraffin last so much longer, but yeah...pant clips for sure!

Best,

Dan.

phopwood

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 06:33:55 pm »
Ian many thanks for the detailed info.  I am going to make the investment and see how it works for me.  I tend to wear shorts when I ride so clips should not be required.

How do you clean the chain before the next waxing process or do you not bother.

Peter.

phopwood

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 07:43:34 pm »
Sorry ignore my question about cleaning you did say in your reply.

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 06:15:51 am »
Hi All,
I have tried a number of Motorcycle Chain Lubes over the years and yes they work!

But they are all over the top and I changed back to Bicycle Chain Lube, Like Rohloff Chain oil for rainy days and Mud.

I have find the best is Squirt chain lube http://www.squirtlube.com/ this is the Lube I used on my Africa Cycle Ride....

Pete   8)

The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ

phopwood

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 10:10:21 pm »
I made the investment and my giant tin arrived today.  The tin is about 25cm in diameter and is about 10 cm deep.  The wax inside is about 3/4 deep.  The base of the tin has a recess so the base of the tin is raised above the hob.

It took about 20 main to melt the wax and I put both my chains in for 10 min, took them out, let them drip, cool and then gave them a wipe with a clean cloth.  So yes a bit of a faf but, the way the tin is designed there was no mess and once cooled the lid went back on until next time.

I will let you all know how it goes from here.

Peter

sweats

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 09:45:58 am »
I find the process very therapeutic. Just don't spill the tin in the kitchen. It really sticks to carpet!!
I think one tin should last you several years.
Regards
Chris
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 09:55:08 am by sweats »

phopwood

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 08:12:02 pm »
An update, this is my chain 3 months and about 300 miles on.  Rust is just starting to show around the pins, and it has been very wet this year.

I am very pleased indeed all I have done to the chain over the last 3 months is wipe the chain occasionally.

Peter

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 08:19:10 pm »
My,  Peter! Your chain looks new!

Best,

Dan