Author Topic: Taiwan  (Read 10167 times)

IronMac

Re: Taiwan
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2014, 05:12:48 am »
Very nice, am considering Taiwan perhaps in 2015 for my first tour in Asia.

cycladelic

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2014, 08:43:37 am »
Very nice, am considering Taiwan perhaps in 2015 for my first tour in Asia.

I suggest you look at flying with Emirates. I've just booked a flight back to Manchester for June for about 720 quid return, which was much less than KLM. Also, Emirates has a better weight allowance - 30kg. When I flew with KLM in 2013, I had to pay an extra US$100 each way for the bike (as a second bag) but didn't get any extra weight (to 20kg) for that money.

If you need any pointers about where and when, just ask.

IronMac

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2014, 09:04:59 am »
Very nice, I'm considering Taiwan for 2015. I only have about a week so may have to settle for a straight North to South ride instead of a circumnavigation.

Someone who went to Taiwan said that cycletourists are not allowed on the east coast due to rock slides. Not sure if that is absolutely correct since I think he did a straight North to South shot. He mentioned something about getting a certificate.

cycladelic

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2014, 05:59:37 pm »
There's a section of coast road south of a fishing village called Suao that is basically a no-no for cyclists. There are quite a few tunnels which are narrow and unlit. I cycled it when I first arrived over 14 years ago and never again... There're lots of cement trucks whizzing through them. You can get a train down to near Hualian - Taroko Gorge - from Suao.

having said that, if you have just a week, I suggest going over Highway 7 from Taoyuan County - not far from the airport - and follow the 7 south to Lishan, then drop down Highway 8 through Taroko Gorge. You could get a train back north from the coast.

I did a similar route during Chinese New Year - some pics etc are here:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=6o&doc_id=13620&v=PQ

Ignore the setion that goes to Loudong, as tha leg was because I had to meet my wife off the train as she didn't have as much time to spare as I me.

IronMac

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2014, 09:45:23 am »
How embarrassing! I just realized that I had already responded to this thread earlier but then later talked to that other cyclist who had done Taiwan.

Thanks cycladelic for the suggested route! It looks very scenic. Truth to tell, I hate valleys and gorges...they all look great when you're whizzing into them but the climb will kill you. hahaha (laugh now)

It looked like the train did not require you to disassemble your bikes...is that only for certain trains? And what would you consider a reasonable budget per day in USD?

Thanks again!

cycladelic

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2014, 09:57:56 am »
Only certain trains take bikes and most of the time you have to send it ahead and collect it at the station, usually the day after. I recall there were a few trains accepting bikes leaving from the station near Taroko. The west side of Taiwan is much busier and you'll have less luck.

basically you have a choice of flat-ish coastal roads, or big climbs in the Central Mountains. Taroko Gorge isn't an average gorge - it's one of the best cycle routes in the world and a place that should be included in a tour, although you could sample just the lower 30km if you really don't like climbing.

You could get by on 30 quid a day, but I would allow more if you want somewhere fancy to sleep. BTW -  Cycling Plus will run an article on Taiwan soon - I think tht issue will be out in mid May.

IronMac

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2014, 09:18:50 am »
Thanks cycladelic for that reply!

Hrmmm...ponder ponder ponder now. Must do Taroko Gorge but I'm not a fan of climbing. If I had more time it would be great but hrmmm...

cycladelic

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2014, 07:51:39 am »
Hrmmm...ponder ponder ponder now. Must do Taroko Gorge but I'm not a fan of climbing. If I had more time it would be great but hrmmm...

I had a few days away last weekend and went to Orchid island. Smashing. A small road goes around the entire coast and it's pretty much flat. You can see some snaps and details here...

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=US&doc_id=14887&v=GM

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 08:53:01 am by cycladelic »

jags

« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2014, 10:29:29 am »
just checked out your 94 photos .class looks like a great tour.
did you do any camping what is in that bag under top tube.

jags.

cycladelic

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2014, 01:16:45 pm »
did you do any camping what is in that bag under top tube.
jags.

Yes, I camped the first night, before getting the ferry, and the next night on the island. Both evenings were very hot and I was sweating in my mesh tent without wearing a top (just a pair of shorts).  I was unlucky that there was no breeze.

The blue bag is a purpose-made neoprene one that carries my tent poles.

jags

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2014, 01:50:47 pm »
ah hah very clever mystery solved ;)excellent photos thanks for shareing.

anto.