Author Topic: Brooks seat cover: are you supposed to ride on it?  (Read 13547 times)

sd

Re: Brooks seat cover: are you supposed to ride on it?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 11:59:52 am »

Are you saying the saddle will be damaged by getting wet??
Can't you spray the saddle with a waterproofer? On my leather gortex gloves I apply dubarry conditioner followed by mink oil. The latter is more like lard which has been in fridge specially as I leave it in the garage by the bike. That way I don't forget to apply it. Makes gloves a bit sticky which I like. May work on saddle? It definitely works on gloves for at least 4 hours of cycling in heavy rain.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 12:08:22 pm by sd »

Andre Jute

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 10:07:09 pm »
Thanks for the input, all.

My Brooks saddle cover too is the older model, as in Peter Hopwood's photos. But, rather than replace it, I think I'll switch to Il Padrone's fetching multi-perp (heh-heh) shower cap. That Brooks seat cover is unnecessary advertising to impulse perps.

David Simpson

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2014, 10:17:32 pm »
Andre --

Like you, I have been thinking about an appropriate rain cover for my Brooks saddle.  And also like you, I think Il Padrone's shower cap is a perfect solution.  However, now that I see you have your eyes on his shower cap, I am forced to look elsewhere.  With your vast resources, there is no doubt that you would drive up the bidding for Il Padrone's cap to such a price that I would have no chance of purchasing it.

;)

- Dave

Andre Jute

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2014, 10:45:15 pm »
Andre --
Like you, I have been thinking about an appropriate rain cover for my Brooks saddle.  And also like you, I think Il Padrone's shower cap is a perfect solution.  However, now that I see you have your eyes on his shower cap, I am forced to look elsewhere.  With your vast resources, there is no doubt that you would drive up the bidding for Il Padrone's cap to such a price that I would have no chance of purchasing it.
 ;)
- Dave

It's not true that I'm too cheap to buy the latest gear and be fashionable like you, Dave. It's just that I'm so poor that it pays me to buy the best stuff because it has to last me forever. That Brooks saddle cover has been a major disappointment to me, lasting only six or seven years.

jags

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2014, 10:48:16 pm »
god i'de love to be as poor as you Andre  ;D ;D

anto.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 08:50:52 am »
The Brooks saddle cover seems to work fine for me but is prone to wear. After riding it on it for only a few weeks it is already showing some signs of wear. It has also developed a few pin-prick sized holes. Best thing is that they are not too expensive with SJS Cycles doing a good price ...

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brooks-coated-nylon-waterproof-saddle-cover-black-prod11257/

I looked around for a tougher replacement and found the Randi Jo Fabrications cover ...

https://www.randijofab.com/?wpsc-product=saddle-covers

The interesting thing is that they come with an 'under-flap' to protect the underside of the saddle from water splash if you are riding without mud guards.

I would still carry a stylish, à la mode shower cap for emergencies or to stop anyone nabbing the Randi Jo Fabrications seat cover!

jags

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2014, 11:55:26 am »
plastic bag ;) it wont get that wet when your sitting on it .

sd

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2014, 12:14:36 pm »

Are you saying the saddle will be damaged by getting wet??
Come on lets have an answer. Does getting it wet damage it? My new bike has a Brooks on. So do I need to waterproof it, as I have no intention of carrying a bag round. I am certain I will forget to put it on anyway.

jags

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2014, 12:18:31 pm »
yes it will damage it big time the leather will go hard and crack if its not treated with proof hide .you only need to proofhide it twice a year keep a plastic bag under the saddle at all times.
you have been warned  8)

jags.

Andre Jute

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2014, 01:10:57 pm »
If a Brooks saddle is treated with Proofide or an equivalent a couple of times a year, it should shrug off a few drops of water.

It's getting it soaked through and riding on it in the soaked state that stretches the leather out of shape.

il padrone

« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2014, 02:42:07 pm »
When the saddle gets very wet and is ridden it can stretch out badly. A friend of mine rode his in an exceptionally muddy, wet MTB event. The saddle spread out to almost flat.

Pavel

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2014, 06:33:55 pm »
I'm of the opinion that todays cyclists over think many things.  I had a brooks on my Peugeot back when I was 17.  I rode it rain of shine and parked it the same way.  I ditched the saddle in about 1980, three years later because I got into racing then and had to be more "racer boy" and none of the adds sending corrections to my untutored brain included and cool about Brooks ... so I improved the perfectly formed but old fashioned Brooks with a plastic wrapped piece of plastic.  Touring never was the same, and it was hardly possible ... but I did look cool!

In my old age I now think that the sum of my experience is "just ride it ... and don't worry over it".  In fact I soaked my recalcitrant Brooks when I got it after about 1200 miles.  It helped the break in remarkably I thought.  Prior to that I could not escape the feeling that it was my derrière that was breaking in, not the Brooks.

So now ... I just don't worry about it. Rain or shine ... bring it on!  Care free riding. And should I prove to be wrong, well a new brooks every three years, though that sounds extreme, would even then, probably cost only as much as the racer boys, on their nice racing saddles, spend in chamois creme anyways. Fair economy, I think.  :)

Brooks saddle; $90 dollars US.  Care free bicycling; priceless!  ;)

Andre Jute

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2014, 12:58:41 am »
Brooks saddle; $90 dollars US.  Care free bicycling; priceless!  ;)

Seems to me putting the cover on when it rains hard is a small price to pay for not having to break in anohter saddle.

mickeg

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2014, 01:20:31 am »
I bought some cheap lycra saddle covers that are not waterproof, not even water resistant.  I put them over a plastic bag to protect the plastic bag and keep the plastic bag in place.  Works great.

I have toured with a few people that very sagging Brooks saddles, they all thought I was nuts for being as careful as I was, they were saying that there was no reason to be as finicky as I was.  But all I had to do was look at their sagging saddles to conclude that my care was well warranted.

I went on a trip with several others.  One guy put his bike upside down in the evening so that he could inspect his tires, but he left his bike upside down during the night.  Big thunderstorm during the night.  Next morning his Brooks was still in the puddle, but by the time I took the photo, some of the puddle had drained.  This is not the best way to treat a Brooks.

Andre Jute

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2014, 01:51:55 am »
One guy put his bike upside down in the evening so that he could inspect his tires, but he left his bike upside down during the night.  Big thunderstorm during the night.  Next morning his Brooks was still in the puddle, but by the time I took the photo, some of the puddle had drained.  This is not the best way to treat a Brooks.

Some people shouldn't be allowed to own a good bike, or even good components.