Author Topic: Brooks seat cover: are you supposed to ride on it?  (Read 13592 times)

Andre Jute

Brooks seat cover: are you supposed to ride on it?
« on: February 04, 2014, 11:45:15 pm »
Today, just showing my bike that it is cooped up inside because it is so unpleasant outside, I noticed that my Brooks waxed seat cover looks a bit threadbare. It sees little use when out for exercise rides but when the bike doubles up for utility runs, when it will be left outside shops and the library and so on, I put the cover on at home and just ride on it. But, from the quick wear, I'm starting to wonder whether this is the way it is supposed to be used. Knowledge? Alternative practice? Opinion?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Brooks seat cover: are you supposed to ride on it?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 11:50:34 pm »
Andre,

I've always been of the view that when I'm riding, *I* cover the saddle. The cover is for when the bike is parked, else it wears unduly.

My cover lives in a little drawstring sack attached to the saddle rails and in inclement weather, goes on the moment I come off.

Best,

Dan. (...who may not be Right, but found this to be a winning strategy for both saddle and cover)

rualexander

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 12:00:54 am »
Not supposed to ride on it, but you can. My Brooks cover wore out quickly without riding on it, and was no longer waterproof after just a few months resulting in my B17 Narrow getting partially saturated overnight one time. I now use cheap shower caps to keep my saddle dry and put the brooks cover on top sometimes to be sure the shower cap stays in place, for example when on the back of the car.

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 01:28:22 am »
Thanks, folks. I live in a small town. When my bike is used for shopping etc, the average ride between stops is seconds, not even minutes. Because the n'lock is so easy to lock and unlock, I literally ride across the street from the pharmacist to the library, twenty yards, and from there to the art shop, twenty yards, and from there to the bank, forty yards, and so on; I'm on the bike seconds at a time.

It would be a huge nuisance to take the saddle cover off and put it back on again at such short intervals. I think I'll just wear it out and replace it with something more durable, or resign myself to my beloved Brooks B73 getting wet and out of shape.

This is definitely a pain in the seating area.

I wonder if it would help against the rain to slather the seat with Brook's wax preparation (or Obenauf's), or really let the neatsfoat soak in (instead of just dipping the saddle in neatsfoot for twenty minutes like I did), or even try motor oil, as was used on Brooks in olden days, when even Sheldon was young.

I'm not surprised to discover that waxed cotton isn't permanently waterproof. I have a Berghaus Goretex/nylon mountain jacket, about a grand's worth, same jacket Chris Bonington went up Mount Everest in, and they gave me several new ones every time it started leaking until another hillwalker told me the secret: the Goretex lining is only half the protection, the other half is the nap on the nylon shell, so it helps to put the jacket through the laundry, including the hot air dryer, to bring up the nap. And it works. I also spray it with Nikwax every so often. Still, for that much money I'd expect it to work better, without contortions.

Not that the Brooks seat cover is cheap. I should have bought several B73 saddles when they were on sale for £49 at SJS...

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 02:23:38 am »
<nods> Yes, I can see your dilemma, Andre.

Given the parameters, I'd choose to replace the saddle cover rather than risk doping the saddle further with various preparations. Even Proofide -- when applied too enthusiastically or too often -- can contribute to Dreaded Stretch, which is horrific to folks like me who wish my saddle would stay in a near-new shape indefinitely.

Another alternative might be to replace the Brooks cover with one made of rubberized or urethane-coated backings on the underside, thus preserving against wear and loss of waterproofing a bit longer than what you're now using. Rual's plastic shower cap is not a bad approach. Though a bit déclassé in status compared to the Brooks, superior function can win the day.

That trick with the clothes dryer also works to re-activate DWR (Durable Water-Resistant) fabric treatments, which are primarily designed to prevent wet-out at the surface, yet still breathe (many of these treatments are polymer-based).

Best,

Dan. (...who envies Andre's proximity to community resources)

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 02:37:52 am »
folks like me who wish my saddle would stay in a near-new shape indefinitely.

Yes, I too like my saddle hard and flat-topped. That’s how it is most comfortable.

leftpoole

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 09:27:29 am »
Thanks, folks. I live in a small town. When my bike is used for shopping etc, the average ride between stops is seconds, not even minutes. Because the n'lock is so easy to lock and unlock, I literally ride across the street from the pharmacist to the library, twenty yards, and from there to the art shop, twenty yards, and from there to the bank, forty yards, and so on; I'm on the bike seconds at a time.

It would be a huge nuisance to take the saddle cover off and put it back on again at such short intervals. I think I'll just wear it out and replace it with something more durable, or resign myself to my beloved Brooks B73 getting wet and out of shape.

This is definitely a pain in the seating area.

I wonder if it would help against the rain to slather the seat with Brook's wax preparation (or Obenauf's), or really let the neatsfoat soak in (instead of just dipping the saddle in neatsfoot for twenty minutes like I did), or even try motor oil, as was used on Brooks in olden days, when even Sheldon was young.

Might I suggest that you do exactly what Brooks recommend?

I'm not surprised to discover that waxed cotton isn't permanently waterproof. I have a Berghaus Goretex/nylon mountain jacket, about a grand's worth, same jacket Chris Bonington went up Mount Everest in, and they gave me several new ones every time it started leaking until another hillwalker told me the secret: the Goretex lining is only half the protection, the other half is the nap on the nylon shell, so it helps to put the jacket through the laundry, including the hot air dryer, to bring up the nap. And it works. I also spray it with Nikwax every so often. Still, for that much money I'd expect it to work better, without contortions.

Not that the Brooks seat cover is cheap. I should have bought several B73 saddles when they were on sale for £49 at SJS...

il padrone

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 10:17:09 am »
The earlier Brooks saddle covers from about 5-10 years ago were of rather limited water-proofing, and certainly would not take to being ridden on. Newer Brooks saddles all come with a saddle cover and it is much better - quite waterproof even when left on in rain overnight. However I would still advise to avoid riding on the cover (believe Brooks say this) and just use it when the derriere is not covering the saddle.

Mind you, many friends of mine (long-time Brooks users) simply carry a plastic bag stuffed between the saddle rails. Cheap, easy, readily replaced. They don't ride on it however.

Andre, for such short-trip visits, can you not just park the bike in some more rain-sheltered spots at each location? Or park the bike (locked) centrally and walk to your destinations? Normally I would only bother with the saddle cover when it really is raining and/or I am going to be at a location for some length of time.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 10:20:21 am by il padrone »

martinf

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 10:34:21 am »
I don't worry too much about occasionally getting a Brooks saddle wet.

I have a Brooks B66 Champion saddle on my utility bike with 5-speed hub. The bike gets used in all weathers but is not generally left parked outside for very long periods.

I never ride the bike with a cover on the saddle - it is usually fairly well covered by myself, and I tend to use a rain cape on long rides in wet weather, which limits the amount of water getting to the saddle.

When I use the bike for a succession of short shopping trips (nowadays about once a week with 3-4 different shops), I don't usually bother covering the saddle at stops, just sometimes when it is really pouring, mainly because I don't like getting my trousers wet.

For the weekly supermarket shop, I leave the bike outside for about an hour. If it seems likely to rain I tie a plastic bag over the saddle, sometimes I forget and it gets a bit wet.

I've had that saddle since 1987, done about 61,000 kms with it. It hasn't had the recommended Brooks Proofide treatment (when I bought the saddle it was difficult to find Proofide in France), just a SMALL amount of Nikwax boot care wax (nearest thing to Proofide I had) on the top a few times a year, and I might have used neatsfoot oil on the underside (too long ago to remember).

The leather is a bit worn and very discoloured, but the saddle top hasn't stretched much and is still very comfortable.

phopwood

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 11:49:15 am »
I have a brooks saddle cover on my brooks saddle on my Brampton, I only take it off to put some Proofide on the saddle.  It does a great job of protecting the saddle as the bike lives in the boot of my car and slides around alot.  I just took the cover off and checked the saddle looks fine to me.  The cover on the other hand looks proper battered.  The cover is about 3 years old and it may be time to invest in a new one.  On my Sherpa I don't have my brooks covered but I tend to cover the saddle with my behind when it is raining. 

So my answer is just leave it on.  Pictures to follow.

All the best.

Peter

phopwood

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 12:04:06 pm »
Ok pictures.

phopwood

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 12:04:26 pm »
and the other one.

anniesboy

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 12:18:48 pm »
My tandem saddle covers often raise a smile.

they are shower caps bought in a French market
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 12:21:21 pm by anniesboy »

il padrone

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 01:23:12 pm »
Ok pictures.
That is the older Brooks saddle cover I believe, the one that is not overly waterproof.

Shower-caps are a fairly handy item. Multi-function, also works well as a shower cap (surprise), and as a wet weather helmet cover.  ;D

geocycle

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 02:49:33 pm »
I use a plastic bag!  I only cover the saddle when I'm leaving it outside for a period of time and I suspect rain is likely.  When riding I find I cover it and even in very wet weather I really find the saddle is sodden.  I seem to have a very tough B17, which took an age to wear in but has now done 25,000 miles and I have barely touched the tension bolt.  When discussing Brooks its difficult to generalise as they are highly variable according to the natural properties of the leather.