Author Topic: Stronglight Escap(ade) (esp. Tandem)  (Read 10882 times)

rtbooth

Stronglight Escap(ade) (esp. Tandem)
« on: December 03, 2003, 03:34:12 pm »
Hi,

I'm a new member from the US.  I'm interested in the Stronglight Escape (or is it Escapade) series and wonder if anybody on the list is using it.  (I've noticed that SJS carries the line for half-bikes).

I have an 80's Stronglight 99 bis tandem set.  I have trouble shifting from the middle 44T to the granny.  I've tried several mechs, older and newer, with some variation in performance but not a satisfactory solution.

I really like the Stronglight 99s because they're pretty and have a very low "Q" or tread -- 20 mm narrower than a new Shimano tandem set.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Richard in southern Illinois where the skies are gray and the temps are ranging from 32F - 45F.

grant620

Re: Stronglight Escap(ade) (esp. Tandem)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 01:36:50 am »
Escapade replaced the 80.
I think [:o)]

John

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2004, 06:12:19 pm »
To improve the change file off the tops of two teeth at two points on the middle ring - not in the middle of the power stroke. Don't go to far or be tempted to do three teeth as the change will become automatic on the biggest sprockets due to the chain line.

The escapade which replaced the 80 has a slightly wider Q on the advised 118mm BB and check the right hand pedals don't wobble before you pay. The change is as bad as ever unless you file the middle ring.

rtbooth

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004, 04:30:17 am »
Thanks so much John.  I've often wondered about the especially pointy tooth profile.  We'll give it a go.  I've got some family commitments this weekend so it may be the weekend of 2/21-22.  Can I be sure that I understand you correctly.  Will I be filing 4 teeth altogether (2 in one location and two in a second location)?  And will all the filed teeth be within the 180-degree arc that represents the recovery rather than the power part of the stroke with the right leg?

Many thanks for your interest.  It's good to find someone who knows.

Richard

quote:
Originally posted by John

To improve the change file off the tops of two teeth at two points on the middle ring - not in the middle of the power stroke. Don't go to far or be tempted to do three teeth as the change will become automatic on the biggest sprockets due to the chain line.

The escapade which replaced the 80 has a slightly wider Q on the advised 118mm BB and check the right hand pedals don't wobble before you pay. The change is as bad as ever unless you file the middle ring.