Author Topic: Thorn V Spa.  (Read 38048 times)

jags

Re: Thorn V Spa.
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2014, 03:28:50 pm »
600euro and its yours  ;) never to late to start ;D

leftpoole

« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2014, 04:28:55 pm »
600euro and its yours  ;) never to late to start ;D
YOU could get a decent frame for that! ::)

jags

« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2014, 05:02:03 pm »
i sure could John but i havent got a buyer yet and i've tried.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2014, 05:11:43 pm »
YOU could get a decent frame for that!
That's the idea!  :D

Guitar => Bike Frame is the New Alchemy.

All the best,

Dan. (...who has been known to convert one thing to another using Magical eBay)

jags

« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2014, 06:52:33 pm »
Well the lads at SJS are trying to get me a frame that fits, man i didn't think it was gonna be this hard all of my other bikes were always spot on size wise  and believe me i've went through a few.
anyway what i was wondering was, if i have to buy the newer model club tour with disc fitting do i need to buy a disc wheel as well :o
or will V-brakes do the job....
also if i need to buy V-brakes what break leavers are best, (they gotta look super cool mind)i will be using barend leavers.
now i can't afford any of this lot at the moment i'm just planning ahead.

thanks lads

jags.

Andybg

« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2014, 07:22:16 pm »
Hi jags

You can completely ignore the disc mount on the frame and just go for standard rim brake wheels. For V brakes you are going to need something like the Tektro brake levers to go with your bar end levers. I have them on both my Nomad and my Tour and they are comfortable and work well.

Looking forward to your future build

Andy

jags

« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2014, 07:48:37 pm »
thanks andy  good to know.
it will be a while yet.

jags.

Paulson

• My Blog
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2014, 06:03:09 pm »
I rode the new Spa Steel Audax today for the first time.  The weather wasn't great, but the bike revealed itself to be a beauty.  The frame is comfortable, compliant and fast; the carbon forks do a good job of soaking up some of the road noise.  It handles nicely, and does feel quite similar to the Thorn Audax Mk3 in terms of general ride, although the latter's steel forks are more my style.  I may well invest in a pair of steel forks in the near future.  The thing that particularly impressed me was the lightness and climbing ability of the bike; it dealt superbly with the pedalling effort when I was climbing gradients and feels significantly lighter than the Thorn, though that may well depend on the build specified on either bike.

Mine has Deda finishing kit, 105 triple chainset, levers and rear gearing, tektro brakes, rigida Chrina handbuilt wheels and a pair of Schwalbe Lugano tyres - all translating into a very well specced bike for just short of £1300.

All in all, my feelings are that if you're open minded about which steel framed bike to go for, then consider the Spa as well as the Thorn, it's terrific value.