Technical > Transmission

"Other" (non-Rohloff) hub gears

(1/3) > >>

peter jenkins:
Note from Dan: Before this topic split, Geocycle posted...

--- Quote ---I also bought one of the alfine RSTs
--- End quote ---

Hi Geocycle,

I'd be interested (and so will others) in your opinion of the Alfine. I'm considering converting one of my wife's bikes to hub gears and am thinking Alfine 11.

Purely coincidentally, a fellow Moultoneer has asked me to bike sit for a few weeks a Moulton TSR retrofitted with a Rohloff. I expect it will be a very good reintroduction to an IGH after so many years but not something I could justify buying. I'm sure I will enjoy it while it lasts.

Regards,

pj

Danneaux:
Hi Peter!

I'd like to hear more about Alfine IGH in daily use as well.

Please, could you in turn share your impressions of the Rohloff after you complete your bike-sitting of the Moulton? Though on a different platform than what we're used to, it might be valuable for prospective owners of Thorn Rohloff-equipped bikes to read your impressions where you will come to it from recent derailleur experience.

Sounds like Great Fun ahead for you! Moultons are nifty little bikes, indeed!

All the best,

Dan.

martinf:

--- Quote from: Danneaux on January 29, 2014, 05:32:50 am ---I'd like to hear more about Alfine IGH in daily use as well.
--- End quote ---

Maybe best to move to a new thread, perhaps "Other hub gears" ?

I fitted a Nexus 8 Premium on one of my bikes in May 2012. Its not an Alfine, but the internals are supposed be very similar.

I chose 8-speed rather than the Alfine 11 because the 8-speed series has been around for several years and is reckoned to be reasonably reliable. I reckoned the more recent Alfine 11 was more likely to have teething problems.

Shimano make 3 types of 8-speed internal. The Nexus Premium is supposed to have better bearings than the base model Nexus in some of the internal parts. As far as I was able to find out there is very little difference in terms of efficiency between the Premium and the Alfine, main difference appears to be the possibilty of fitting a disc brake and better finish on the Alfine. In V-brake version, the Nexus Premium is very slightly lighter than the Alfine. And substantially cheaper, so less of a loss if the utility bike gets stolen.

8-speed range is 306%. I spin with 150 mm cranks) and don't really need big gears, so I've geared it fairly low, with a 44T chainring and 24T rear sprocket.

This gives a range of 25" to 76", which has been sufficient for local use, including hauling up to 80 Kg of trailer plus cargo.

Compared to Rohloff, gear change is slicker. I got the Alfine 8 Rapidfire shifter, which is supposed to be more accurate than the basic twist-grip (gear change depends on the shifter indexing, not at the hub as with a Rohloff).

So far, only about 1800 kms. It has been reliable. As far as maintenance goes, I took the internal out several months ago, washed out as much of the original grease as possible, regreased with the special Shimano internal grease and (voiding any warranties) also added a small amount of automatic transmission fluid. I packed a slightly stiffer marine grease in the side bearings to reduce the possibility of water getting in.

Hub seemed quite efficient even when new, but seems slightly better since the cleaning/relubrication (hub gears usually improve anyway after a running in period, so it might not be the relubrication).

On my test rides when new (not run in), there was very little difference between the Nexus 8 Premium and the former 21-speed derailleur system I had on the bike.   

Danneaux:

--- Quote ---Maybe best to move to a new thread, perhaps "Other hub gears" ?
--- End quote ---
That's a great idea, Martin; done.

Best,

Dan.

peter jenkins:

--- Quote ---Please, could you in turn share your impressions of the Rohloff after you complete your bike-sitting of the Moulton? Though on a different platform than what we're used to, it might be valuable for prospective owners of Thorn Rohloff-equipped bikes to read your impressions where you will come to it from recent derailleur experience.

--- End quote ---

Hi Dan,

I will indeed.

It should provide a good comparison as my own Moulton is a TSR 30 (30 denotes a 10 spd triple) fitted with Campagnolo Centaur/Chorus and the Rohloff version was also a TSR 30 prior to the conversion. I s'pose it's a TSR14 now?

All the best,

pj (of the little wheels)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version