Author Topic: not great cycling weather lads.  (Read 16340 times)

doug

• The Cycle Hub
Re: not great cycling weather lads.
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2014, 07:05:24 pm »
Yesterday I went for a cycle ride, despite questionable weather and clocked up 43 miles.  At one point I thought "the wind is getting up, looks like it's gonna rain".

Within a minute I was being sand blasted by horizontal rain and sleet - stinging my face and I could hardly keep my eyes open as I pressed on.  As I came towards the top of a hill the wind was so fierce I thought I would get blown back if I eased off to change gear.  It was quite breathtaking.  Later on I came to a flooded road and, like a young kid, I pedalled as fast as I could and lifted my feet up as high as I could to freewheel as far as I could through the flood.

I can tell you, I was laughing my socks off through all of this - it was such great fun!  Otherwise it's all too easy to get into the too windy, too wet, too cold, too.... anything else mentality. 
http://thecyclehub.net - The life long joy of cycling

jags

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2014, 08:03:44 pm »
Ah Jim boy your gonna have to take that baby inside :'( :'(

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2014, 08:04:36 pm »
Here is my bright idea of the day. The problem is, my water bottle freezes up when it is cold. It starts at the nozzle that clogs up so I then have to stop riding to unscrew the top so I can get a drink. But in a few hours the whole bottle is icing up rather well.

What if I mixed in some electrolytic salts

http://www.emergenc.com/products#specialty-formulas.electromix

wouldn't that lower the freezing point significantly? Wouldn't work too too far below freezing, but I don't really ride much below 15F. (yeah, Doug, lame!)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2014, 08:06:05 pm »
Jim,

Even the sugar in Gatorade and other sports drinks keeps them from freezing for quite a bit below the point where plain water is affected.

Best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2014, 08:08:07 pm »
take that baby inside

Must say, I have been quite pleased with the bike's performance under such duress. The Rohloff shifts quite happily, the brakes are fine, the chain too. Hoping that all holds up over the seasons!

jags

« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2014, 08:10:58 pm »
Good on YA Doug , me i'm just in a lazy arse mode lovely day here today and i sat in all day on this bloody thing and watching crap cowboys (westerns) on tv.

i know how you felt i did as im sure everyone here has done spins  like that ,once you out the weather no matter how bad it is it  doesn't really matter , makes for an epic ride.

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2014, 11:17:42 am »
Ah Jim boy your gonna have to take that baby inside :'( :'(

I'm crying too, Anto.

Jim - I used to live in Longmont Colorado and bought a brand new Yamaha 750, my first ever new bike. Unfortunately, I lived in an apartment and the poor bike lived outside. I went away to Wyoming to work for a few weeks, and when I finally returned, my pride and joy was covered by literally 6ft of plowed snow, slush, etc. I cried then, too.

As soon as the snow melted, I grabbed the bike and my meager possessions, and moved up to Casper, where the bike still stayed outside, but at least I could brush off the snow each evening. The good news was, with a bit of TLC, it really was none the worse for wear. I eventually sold that bike for the down payment on my first house!

Sorry for the trip down memory lane... Seeing your bike just brought it all back. Sigh...

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2014, 06:32:08 pm »
Nasty in the southwest UK! A note here about Bridgwater. Best of luck to all involved!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26111598

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2014, 09:45:38 pm »
Hi All!

Still digging out of the recent snow and ice storm, but lots of downed trees and branches left behind. Gusts to 62mph/100kph are forecast for tonight which won't help the already weakened trees; many folks in my area are still without power.

Kinda tough cycling conditions here'bouts at present. The roads are clear for cars because the snow was plowed onto the streetside bike lanes, making it almost impossible to ride along major traffic corridors safely. Hoping the plows will make one more pass, but I doubt it. The City emergency fund is already in the red and things like this will be left largely to nature to resolve.

Best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2014, 09:50:14 pm »
What a mess, Dan! I hope it melts soon!

We have another 6 inches or so coming in a couple days but at least there have been little breaks between so the roads aren't too horrible.

jags

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2014, 12:48:00 pm »
terrible weather Dan as jim said what a mess sooner its gone the better..

Andre Jute

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2014, 05:21:37 pm »
Huge tree blown over on the shambles, crushed a parked Skoda Superbe estate car. Going out for a walk because the wind gusts high enough to knock me off my bike. You just don't get enough exercise indoors on the machines, not in the way you do on a bike, aided by ever-changing topographical features (hills to you, Jags).

jags

« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2014, 05:25:04 pm »
 ;D ;D hah trying to confuse anto again.
andre weather up here at the moment is dangerous  gusting up to 90km an hour  hope it blows itself out before bedtime :o

FrogPrince

• 60-something and loving it.
    • Cycle Somerset
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2014, 06:09:15 pm »
Walked into town (Taunton) today as very wet and windy. Nearly blown off my feet twice. 60MPH/100KPH + gusts! didn't feel at all comfortable walking under or near trees. Expect to see a few down by tomorrw.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 06:12:39 pm by FrogPrince »
Sell your Clothes but keep your thoughts.

jags

« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2014, 06:29:04 pm »
we are getting a right battering at the moment. :o