Author Topic: not great cycling weather lads.  (Read 16362 times)

jags

Re: not great cycling weather lads.
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 04:27:47 pm »
SOUNDS LIKE HEAVEN.

John Saxby

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 05:48:00 pm »
Thanks, Sam.  Yes, it's hard being so far away from our kids.  To complicate matters further, our daughter lives in Berlin.  Mind you, we get to go to visit some wonderful places.  Our next trip to Oz will probably be a or so year from now -- Hannah and her parents David & Sarah will all be here for a month this coming July/Aug. :-)  Have a copy of LPG's Cycling Australia, and with the advice of Graham Smith (on CGOAB, but sometimes here as well) have mapped out some rides in NSW & Victoria, as well as some in the GC hinterland, closer to Broad Beach.  Will get in touch for your advice as our next trek Ozwards appears on the horizon.

jags

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 06:08:07 pm »
thats it lads rub salt into the wounds ::)
still i suppose photos of sunshine will have to do.
roll on the summer.

Andre Jute

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 06:22:09 pm »
thats it lads rub salt into the wounds ::)
still i suppose photos of sunshine will have to do.
roll on the summer.

Nah, I've been there. What looks like sunshine is malignant melanoma in the air. Give me good honest rain every time.

rualexander

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 06:32:43 pm »
Day off today so got out for a spin in reasonable weather now that the wind has changed to an easterly. Couldn't get out on Sunday as usual due to horrendous rain and wind so glad to get out today.
Took the Audax Mk3 for a change as the Sherpa has the studded tyres on just now, fitted them a couple of weeks ago and the ice promptly vanished.

geocycle

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 07:24:51 pm »
Nice pictures! It's been awful here for about 10 days. Just been commuting in the dark and wet on my new RST that I built at the weekend. Just need some daylight to get some proper riding.

jags

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 08:22:15 pm »
great pic's rual lovely cycling country for sure. stupid question but i was thinking looking at your bike, more over the saddle height and was just thinking rual must be 6.4 great guy to sit behind on a windy day. ;)

rualexander

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 08:51:10 pm »
great pic's rual lovely cycling country for sure. stupid question but i was thinking looking at your bike, more over the saddle height and was just thinking rual must be 6.4 great guy to sit behind on a windy day. ;)

Haha, I'm 6'2" jags, using quite short cranks 165mm as I'm prone to knee problems so the saddle has to go up a bit because of that.

jags

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 09:47:42 pm »
yeah a giant from where i stand  ;D ;D

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 11:43:24 am »

Nah, I've been there. What looks like sunshine is malignant melanoma in the air.

Geez! I hope not, Andre!  :-[

That "m" word is dreaded around here. A young (29yo) work colleague has contracted it - he's a kiwi of Irish extraction. Us 60+ yo geos who spent our early lives outdoors like to compare scars and talk about who's had what bits cut out. It's ghastly when I think about it.  :-\

Sam

lewis noble

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2014, 02:49:04 pm »
Slightly off thread, but related I think . . . .

The flooded Somerset Levels have been on the news a lot recently, a lot of controversy about the best way to manage flooding and so on . . . .but for the first time that I have heard, Bridgewater was mentioned on national news the other night.

I'm sure that if SJS had been flooded, we would have heard about it, but I am sure we all hope that the staff's homes (i.e. homes of the staff!) have not been inundated, and we wish them well.  Being flooded out is a really long term hassle, and very dispiriting . . . .

Good luck guys.

Lewis

jags

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 02:57:54 pm »
yeah flooding is bad news for sure hopefull they escaped the worst of it.

FrogPrince

• 60-something and loving it.
    • Cycle Somerset
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 07:50:57 pm »
Thornworld becomes Waterworld!
Bridgwater town where SJS Cycles is situated is not flooded but the surrounding levels are.
Look here for some more pics taken on the Bridgwater and Taunton Canal that is a convenient off road-link from my house to SJS.
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/36663686_QqbgSr

« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 08:52:51 pm by FrogPrince »
Sell your Clothes but keep your thoughts.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2014, 07:53:05 pm »
My, what a lovely area around Bridgwater. Such a shame about the flooding; hope it isn't too big a burden on those living there. Floods are just plain *nasty* to cleanup from.

Best,

Dan.

lewis noble

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 10:51:44 pm »
Thanks Colin, good photos!!

For me, a 'convenient link', off-road, flooded or otherwise, to SJSC would be a problem; I'd be bankrupt and divorced by now!!

Lewis