Author Topic: New (to me) Thorn Voyager  (Read 6027 times)

fast but dim

New (to me) Thorn Voyager
« on: January 26, 2014, 07:01:43 pm »
Hello from Chorley, Lancs.

I've been a keen-ish cyclist on and off for the last 25 (?) years, touring, riding TT's, commuting. The last few years have been curtailed by parenthood ;)

I came across a thorn raven from the mid 90's on the ctc forum locally, the perfect size for me and my 11yr old son, or petite wife:

Provisionally I've bought it as a novelty / toy, but who knows. Initially I am very impressed with the build quality, so much so that I could well end up replacing my Hewitt audax with a Steel Thorn Audax when it eventually wears out.

jags

Re: New (to me) Thorn Voyager
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 07:09:55 pm »
any tours planned for it.

fast but dim

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 07:26:47 pm »
We'll have to see how it goes! My lad's had a go for half an hour, and liked it, so hopefully we'll have an overnighter in a youth hostel in spring.My wife's a keen runner, but a terrible cyclist, so I'll try to get her out now and again too.

I'm going to have to be brutally honest and admit it'll mainly be used for short day rides locally to decent pubs: two of us on the tandem and a third on an mtb.

I've got a few sub 5'6" mates who might come hostelling in fairer weather. the way I see it I can try tandeming (sp?) and sell the bike on if it's not for us!

I've got a continental cycle tour planned with mates in the spring, but will definately be riding my hewitt solo!

Znook

• Me, Robbie!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 07:56:10 pm »
Oooh, a tandem that's not far away from me - they're like gold dust.  I'll keep an eye out for you on the roads and give you a wave/thumbs up if I see you  ;D.

Robbie
I'm here, there and everywhere.

fast but dim

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 08:09:33 pm »
How will I know it's you  ;D?

There's an old couple who tandem on the flats near me ( Eccleston / Croston / Rufford ? Southport )

As an aside, if anyone under 5'6" with a robust sense of humour wants to come out, let me know. You'll be on the back btw!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 09:16:40 pm »
Hi, FBD!

Welcome to the Thorn Cycling Forum!

My, what a lovely bike, and always a "plus" to add a tandem to our gallery offerings. This is a real beauty, and I think you'll have a great deal of fun riding it with any partner. I know I love my own tandem!

Best wishes for many happy journeys ahead,

Dan.