Author Topic: Rides 2014 -- add yours  (Read 101341 times)

jags

Re: Rides 2014 -- add yours
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2014, 05:59:11 pm »
Splendid photos, Rual!  I envy you All That, as I look out over the two feet of snow still in our back yard.  Prompted in no small part by your photographs, have been thinking of a tour through the Celtic fringe of Europe sometime in the next couple of years, beginning in Bretagne, through Cornwall, Devon, Wales and Ireland the Land of St Brian O'Driscoll, to Scotland.
e sure to look up saint anto if you do get to tour the land of saints and scholars (Andre)

Andre Jute

« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2014, 11:41:02 am »
Last night, between hailstorms, officially before sunset, but dark already, I rode out. I live on a country road out of my small town but can't cycle on it because it is lethal, narrow with broken verges and speeding traffic, plus an official black spot a couple of klicks down the road; a schoolboy died on the pavement on the blind corner less than fifty yards from my house year before last, so even the pavement is dangerous...

Fortunately, this lethal road is crisscrossed by lanes. Here's one that loops around conveniently from a safe street near me, crosses the dangerous road, recrosses it, and returns to my house very agreeably, except for some badly broken surfaces and edges.

Some potholes are large enough for a drunk to drown in.

As you can see in this unmolested photograph, when he road is wet, as after a hail storm, Herren Busch und Muller aren't much help. You have to know where the potholes are, or limit your riding to daylight hours. The lamp you can see isn't B&M but my extra daylight flasher.

And these are yer ekshul potholes, with everything lightened up so you can see what I'm talking about. As a check, the bike computer bottom centre of the piccie isn't backlit, therefore unreadable after dark, as in the first photo.

I come across here at 25 or 40kph, depending which direction I'm going. On narrower tyres than the 60mm Big Apples my Kranich wears, I'd certainly slow down for fear of misjudgment and bending a rim, or just smashing my coccyx.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 05:58:12 pm by Andre Jute »

jags

« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2014, 12:29:45 pm »
rough looking terraine andre,you must be planning a secret tour with all this night riding  8)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2014, 01:41:27 pm »
Thanks for showing this, Andre. Man alive, you've got potholes...more like tank traps than anything else.

Do ride with care. Except for the floatation provided by the Big Apples, one might drop well below the surface.

All the best,

Dan. (...who can only say, "Yikes!")

alfie1952

« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2014, 01:46:44 pm »
Snorkel and face mask required as extra precaution for night riding in your neck of the woods I reckon.

Alfie

Andre Jute

« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2014, 07:36:59 pm »
[About my ride today, as posted to my blog, link in sig, and my sketching forum.]

Last year for my birthday one of the gifts I received was the last Winsor & Newton Bijou Box from Green & Stone in London. I never actually received the brush supposed to go with this box but would in any event have chucked it out to fit in four more half pans, new total twelve, because the standard eight is one short of my minimum palette and a more normal palette for me is twelve colors. I have one of those WN travel brushes that came with another WN kit, and it is uselessly small, except I suppose to people who want to paint the eyes on gnats. The Bijou Box, about the size of a visiting card, now lives in my Little Watercolor Pochade Tin, a pocketable traveling watercolor kit kept on the hall table by my glove chest to grab whenever I go out.  Today I went out on my bike, and the first thing I saw that I wanted to sketch was a well kept hedge, the pride and joy of some farmer's wife.

My favorite bike, a Utopia Kranich, and my  Little Watercolour Pochade Tin, caught in action on the ten minutes in which it was pleasant to stand painting outside on a miserably cold spring day in Ireland.

Andre Jute: The Hedge, 230g rough paper, 6x4in.

The photo shows that the Bijou Box is Winsor & Newton's most compact paintbox, about the size of a visiting card. The box itself isn't well made or finished, and will soon rust, starting at the bubbles and pinholes in the so-called "enamel"; with eight half pans of color it is grossly overpriced at 55 Euro, say about eighty US dollars. I'm not surprised that WN have stopped selling it if Fome cannot supply a better quality box.

jags

« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2014, 07:55:11 pm »
Love it your whole set up is only CLASS.
what a great way to spend a day cycling and painting, sure what more could a fella want.

Andre Jute

« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2014, 09:23:40 pm »
... sure what more could a fella want.

Hot'n'cold running barmaids with trays of drinks? Well, a few sausages and a mustard dip wouldn't go amiss either.

jags

« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2014, 09:41:48 pm »
 ;D ;D obviously you've done that as well.
did you spot the painting my son noel done on facebook.

jags

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2014, 03:46:56 am »
Just wonderful, Andre. I do so admire your talents in this area as well.

All the best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2014, 11:33:51 am »
did you spot the painting my son noel done on facebook.

No. Find it, then in the comments box ask the same question again, typing my name and when a little box with my name appears, clicking on my name so that in your comment it is highlighted in blue. That way Facebook notifies me and I get a link in my mailbox. Otherwise it is impossible for me to find something on Facebook that someone else posted (or even that I posted, most of the time).

Just wonderful, Andre. I do so admire your talents in this area as well.

Another good reason for riding out, something to look forward to. It helps to keep up the momentum of exercise even on days that are not wonderful for cycling.

John Saxby

« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2014, 03:00:24 pm »
potholes...more like tank traps than anything else

Andre, your fotos raise some interesting questions about the Annual Plague of Potholes.  We usually have informal pools on the subject each spring. We judge the worst potholes by their size/menace/etc., for which blown tires, flattened rims and collapsed suspension are the standard mechanical indicators.  (Colourful curses are another class of indicators.)   Your photo of a wee lane pockmarked with several brutish examples suggests that there's another indicator which I haven't seen used here:  surface area of potholes as % of road surface in a given length.  Altogether terrifying, and a serious disincentive for night riding in such narrow confines.

Your sketching and painting adds a splendid visual dimension to our forum -- I say this as someone who has no ability in that area at all.  The bike offers a nice entrée to that world -- during the day, of course!

jags

« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2014, 05:01:03 pm »
Andre check out on facebook noel kelly art.some nice  stuff if i say so myself.

anto.

Andre Jute

« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2014, 05:14:04 pm »
Ironically, it wasn't a pothole that got me, John, not even a new one. In 2012 I was out riding in the false dawn, on the lane pictured above with the potholes, but on a section of it on the other side of the dangerous country road. Regardless of what sort of lamps you have -- right up to the Big Bang I had on test when it first came out -- you can only ride such lanes as fast as I do in the dark if you already know where the potholes and broken verges are. A degree of bike control is required.

I was coming down a familiar downhill section towards a lefthand turn. The part of the road I was on had only minor potholes, no bother to my maximum Big Apples, but a certain amount of unevenness from years of patching without a complete resurfacing. Also, the edges of the road were dangerously broken and in places dropped straight down 16-18 inches into the ditch. At 45kph, maybe 50, I hit a bump I knew about, a little ridge that I aimed for. I'd done this many, many times in both daylight and dark; so far this was a routine ride, at least when I'm alone (the pedal pals have neither bikes nor the inclination for this sort of riding). From there I would land about an inch from the edge of the road and pedaling hard push the motor wide open for the uphill left-hander, pulling the bike away from the lefthand edge where the bump threw me to the righthand edge to give me an apex on the lefthand turn. You can't do this on a lesser bike or lesser tyres, you understand: I tried on my very capable Gazelle Toulouse with Marathon Plus and front suspension, and all I succeeded in doing was smashing the suspension and falling into the ditch, even though I was traveling 15kph slower than on the Utopia. My Trek Smover, a pretty capable sporting bike from a sporting brand, was even slower than the Toulouse because it is stiffer, and I gave up because it shuddered with revulsion at that road on it's Bontrager Satellite Elite tyres, a Marathon Plus workalike but even harsher. (For the Toulouse and the Smover see http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLING.html) My Kranich just looks like someone's granddad's bike; it is awesomely capable though I don't imagine that 99% of the solid burghers who can afford it ride it like I do; they don't know what they're missing.

But on that morning, where in the dark I was supposed to find an inch of tarmac to land on before I fell into the ditch, a huge tractor had broken off two inches of the road, which of course I couldn't see; it wasn't just that the road was wet, but that at anything over 15kph it really doesn't matter whether you can see an irregularity in the road because you'll hit it within your reaction time. The bike dropped straight into the ditch, the axle on my vintage Phillips pedal snapped right off when it hit the road edge and ten feet further at around 50kph I hit a hillock washed into the ditch -- really a donga washed by heavy water -- and was thrown into the air far enough to fling up a hand so that the tree branches shouldn't poke out my eyes. When we landed again I flung the bike to the left into the hedge to save the irreplaceable paintwork (coachlined for me by a man of 89 who worked on the assembly line when my bike design was first built in 1936 -- I didn't quite see me explaining that I wanted him to do it over...  you can perve the coach lining at http://coolmainpress.com/AndreJute'sUtopiaKranich.pdf) from the rough edge of the tarmac, and myself onto the road beside me for fear that if I knocked myself out falling into the ditch I could drown.

There I lay for about fifteen minutes, counting my blessings, and threatening to feed the pony in the field opposite who came to laugh at me to my wife's cats. Then I erected myself like Frankenstein's monster slowly rising to consciousness, fetched my bike out of the soft hedge, inspected the paintwork by the daylight flashing lamp, which slides off the mount and turns into a torch at the press of a button, then inspected the damage to my clothes and myself (bruising and abrasions but nothing serious), then drank some hot tea (Lady Grey with extra lime and honey) to settle the adrenaline, then completed the ride one-leggedly, and took a hot bath for the aches and pains.

The bike was unscathed but the vintage pedals had to be written off, much to my disgust because they suited me well and had cost quite a bit of money from a British collector of bicycle components, and there were none NOS available, and no spare parts either.

John Saxby

« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2014, 06:55:28 pm »
Dear me, so much for nightly ventures into the quaint & quiet lanes of the Blessed Isle.  Andre, that sounds all too much like the prose version of TE Lawrence's colossal & terminal wipeout on his SS100 Bruff-Sup, in David Lean's film ... with a happier ending (just barely) for you, and also for us voyeurs spectators/readers.  Never done anything quite like that--but then, I don't ride a Kranich, nor indeed the quaint lanes, etc., at night. 

My decision to get a steel-framed touring bike (my Raven, now nearly fully hatched) came in part from some related "what-if?" thoughts:  Going fast down the same steep hill on patched/corroded tarmac a couple of times on my rides through the Madawaska Highlands, forks and bars juddering, I started to wonder how long quality-but-ageing carbon-fibre forks could tolerate such stress, and what would happen to me when they said "Enough!"  Now, there were no deep ditches full of water, but I could readily imagine acres of road rash on my tender bod, and it was not a pretty sight.  Hope to do the same test with steel forks later this summer  :-)