Author Topic: Rides 2014 -- add yours  (Read 100372 times)

Andre Jute

Rides 2014 -- add yours
« on: January 18, 2014, 03:58:18 pm »
This was such a popular and agreeable thread last year, I thought we'd give it an outing again this year.

Just returned front the first major ride of the year. Only 17km and an easy ride besides because the only pedal pal who turned out for it was straight out a sickbed with the flu. Starting temperature was 6 Celsius, finishing temp under 3 degrees. Bad choice but still, last year we didn't get out until the end of January.

All the usual dogs were waiting for us. Not all the familiar trees survived the recent high winds though. A new waterfall has spring up on a familiar ride, or been exposed by trees destroyed by the storm.

Birth of a waterfall, seen on our ride today, where there was none before.
Notice how the tree in the foreground, already weakened by parasites, was bowed by the high winds before it broke.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 04:14:47 pm by Andre Jute »

jags

Re: Rides 2014 -- add yours
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 05:43:58 pm »
Very nice photo Andre not exactly Niagara but never mind you have to start somewhere 8) .
no miles for me today it rained all day long,hate going out in the rain.

FrogPrince

• 60-something and loving it.
    • Cycle Somerset
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 06:42:52 pm »
No ride in Somerset today because of a very dark wet day but tomorrow looks better so may have some pics.
Sell your Clothes but keep your thoughts.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 07:46:12 pm »
Looks like rain up here for Sunday. So no ride for me either. :-[
Monday looks good tho'
Since last ride chain tightened up and cleaned.
Always think  I go faster with a clean chain.
 ;D
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

FrogPrince

• Cycle Somerset
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 08:15:29 pm »
What a difference a day makes. Sunshine after the rain. We had about 30cm during the day yesterday and another lot over night but the day dawned with beautiful sunshine that lasted all day. All the hard work that was done after the floods last year has meant that the lanes have drained very fast and I found very few floods today. These are a few photos from my 30mile trip around Taunton in Somerset today.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 10:28:03 pm by FrogPrince »

FrogPrince

• Cycle Somerset
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 08:17:18 pm »
............... and a few more :-)
If you want to see a few more try this link
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/36142225_nP7whJ
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 10:36:33 pm by FrogPrince »

jags

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 08:41:17 pm »
very nice i like your house i'de say it takes you all day to cut that grass ;D
i got a nice spin in today i'll ask dan to post the photos i have on facebook.

John Saxby

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 09:30:44 pm »
Love the green grass of Somerset, Prince!  And the clear blue sky!

Likely have to wait 'til April before I can post one from here, though I'm hoping my new Raven will be ready in a few weeks, so we might have a "still life" foto before spring...  But, had a splendid 7 km trek on snowshoes yesterday, incl a 1.5 kms on a frozen channel of the Ottawa River.  A weak mid-January sun on a mild & cloudy afternoon, and in a fresh dusting of snow, *lots* of tracks of deer, otter, wolf, fox and porcupine.  Everything still and quiet in the woods, 'cept for the three of us on our clattering modern-but-effective snowshoes.  :-)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 09:34:54 pm »
The sale of my partner's house closed on Friday; her son went back to college this afternoon. This morning I finally got back on my bike. Moving from a house to an apartment.. really any big move is just exhausting! But the moving is done. Now it is just trying to organize all the stuff... we downsized the space a lot more than we have downsized the stuff... yet!

Now my Fearless Nomad is stored outside, chained to a tree. I put some White Lightning Wet Ride lube on the chain a few weeks ago. We've had snow and rain since then. The chain seemed quite happy this morning. Looks like a solution!

Just an hour ride, ten miles, my usual tortoise pace! But good to get out, even with the headwind!

A few more images:
http://s140.photobucket.com/user/kukulaj/library/Nomad/2014%20first%20ride?sort=3&page=1

jags

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 09:43:27 pm »
great photos Jim how though do they manage to keep the roads clear of snow ;)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 10:01:20 pm »
do they manage to keep the roads clear of snow

Our apartment is up off the main road about 240 vertical feet and half a mile. The climb is mostly the first half of that, up a public road that gets a lot of shade. The last half from the main road to our door is just through the apartment complex, a private road that gets plowed but not so well. So my studded winter tires earn their keep! When the snow is fresh enough that the plows haven't got it well cleared, I generally stay off the road. The bike does well enough but the cars are another matter!

rualexander

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 10:19:58 pm »
Another spin around the lanes of lanarkshire near Biggar, a dry day with light winds for a change.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 10:22:22 pm by rualexander »

jags

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 10:40:13 pm »
amazing sky great shot

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 04:31:14 am »
i got a nice spin in today i'll ask dan to post the photos i have on facebook.
Happy to do so!  :)

Anto's (jags') pics from today. His descripton: "Along the long strand this morning cold and windy still got 22 miles done."

Posted on his behalf by Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 04:35:01 am »
This was such a popular and agreeable thread last year, I thought we'd give it an outing again this year.
Surely glad you did, Andre; many thanks.

I greatly enjoyed the 2013 version and the 2014 edition is looking great!  Wonderful photos, all, and simply terrific to open a window on your respective parts of the world.

May many happy journeys pass beneath your wheels, and may your rides all by safe and happy with the wind at your backs.

All the best,

Dan.