Author Topic: anyone use these.  (Read 7889 times)

jags

anyone use these.
« on: January 16, 2014, 11:03:06 pm »
Lads did anyone of you ever use these bags on a bike (tour).
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Organizers-c14.htm

there certainly well made a  some very clever designs,
wonder if one could be used for either a pannier or barbag,

jags.

Templogin

Re: anyone use these.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 03:36:40 pm »
I have loads of MaxP kit, but most if would be useless for cycling.  Those pouches might be useful for keeping small items together in a pannier, but that are total overkill.

MaxP kit is built to last, tough stuff, but often heavy.  Compare it to Carradice Super C kit and you won't be far from the mark.

jags

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 04:36:54 pm »
 ;) thanks for that Templogin aways ask someone who knows.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 05:18:44 pm »
Hi jags!

I don't use organizers (formal bags for internal packing and organization of my kit), preferring instead to pack in different ways. For me, organizers would add extra weight and bulk but I've learned to never say never, so they might be in my dim-distant future.

If you're considering them, you may wish to look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyBkbSl-MUA

The part about organizers starts at the 2:00min time count. Despite my reservations, her results are pretty impressive.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 06:51:46 pm »
yip she sure is well organized..guess she needs to be carrying all that gear.

jags

Templogin

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 09:16:10 am »
MaxP's kit is stunning quality, and it have a couple of their pouches and many of their bags.  The ones I use tend to contain all sorts of smaller items including, pens, a torch, paracord, prybar, mirror, knives, whistle, nail clippers, ink cartridges, lock pick, etc. etc. etc.  most of the things can help get me out of a fix.

When it comes to loading my panniers, although one of the above pouches would work loaded differently, I have taken to using small heavy gauge self seal plastic bags for organisation do the smaller items: small tools, spare nut and bolts, tyre levers and puncture repair materials, and even coffee whitener.  These allow things to be filed away nicely, be ready when needed, be protected by the toughness of the plastic and kept clean and dry.  They also take up little space.  If I lose one then I haven't lost everything.

honesty

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 09:20:43 am »
I use standard supermarket plastic bags. Organises compresses and waterproofs all in one! Plus they don't weigh very much ;)

julk

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 09:57:17 am »
Supermarket 'bags for life’ are even better at 10p each, buy once, replace for free when worn ;D

Templogin

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 10:35:12 am »
You were lucky.  We had to keep our bike tools in a hole in the road.

jags

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 10:50:34 am »
its hard to beat quality, those maxp bags look class but i suppose not mush use for hauling on a bike  much to heavy i reckon.i was trying to come up with an idea of a bag up front that would not interfear with the feel of the steering i came up blank  ::)
you know when you get your bike together take it for a few spins do a bit of tweaking to get it spot on and then you add barbag or front panniers and totally distroy the feel of the bike  ???
 i guess thats why someone came out with the idea of frame bags, which don't do it for me.

what am i getting at, well why has no one come up with a fixing up front to hold a barbag but not using the bars to fix it in place ::)

any thoughts lads.

jags.

honesty

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 11:09:59 am »
Im I remember correctly there are front racks that fit to the frame (headtube, brake bolts) out there. French randonneur style. I'll have a search for you.

Templogin

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 11:12:37 am »
It depends on the weight that you are putting in it of course, but places like www.alpkit.com (others too), sell fairly thin, but robust, bags with roll down tops, but they will have to go on the bars.

I have no connection with Alpkit, other than being a reasonably happy customer.  Why do they have to emblazon everything with their too large logo?

jags

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 11:41:47 am »
https://www.alpkit.com/products/fuel-pod

i like alpkit, these bags should hold plenty.
i have a couple of  toptube bags but only good for holding phone and a small snack and they do wear the paint on the top tube  >:(

anyone using those alpkit bags.

Donerol

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 12:27:17 pm »

...  why has no one come up with a fixing up front to hold a barbag but not using the bars to fix it in place ::)

any thoughts lads.

jags.

Something like this?

Well, you did ask  :D

jags

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 12:39:38 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D yip guess i walked into that  ;D