Author Topic: bicycle stand on a club tour?  (Read 5584 times)

sjacka

bicycle stand on a club tour?
« on: January 04, 2014, 06:29:46 pm »
Can anyone tell me which bicycle stand I can buy for my thorn club tour?

jags

Re: bicycle stand on a club tour?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 06:49:50 pm »
the click stand seems to be favourate.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 06:52:41 pm »
Hi Jack!

Thorn's official position on fitting stands and how it can affect warranty coverage is here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/FAQ/prop.pdf

The only commercial stand they endorse as damage-free is the Click-Stand, available here: http://www.click-stand.com/

That said, people have chosen to fit stands to their bikes and report satisfaction. For a list of recommendations and threads devoted to the topic, a quick search will come to the rescue using the term "stand" (no quotes). I have posted a brief tutorial on how to easily and quickly search the Forum here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4390.0

The general consensus is a stand which clamps to the rear stays near the dropout is less likely to cause crushing damage to the tubes than one fitted to the chainstays behind the bottom bracket, though a number of people also like those.

Best,

Dan.

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 08:35:42 pm »
Yep, the Click-Stand is great!

I would never consider fitting a frame attached stand to any bike now. On a recent three month tour I saw many other cycle tourists kick down their rear hub or bottom bracket placed stands only to be mildly amused as they struggled to make sure their loaded cycle was balanced. A few bikes fell over! A frame attached stand is not the solution in my experience or observation.

The Click-Stand was used five or six times a day for 103 days. Little sign of wear so far.

The Click-Stand is positioned at the correct place to balance the bike. And ... it is quite cool to remove it nonchalantly from the frame holder, flick the wrist to extend the stand and instantly perch the Raven Tour with a 40kg load. Then walk away. I experienced a few glances and gasps of disbelief followed by some questions as to it's origin!

Kind of a James Bond solution!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 08:39:22 pm by StuntPilot »

FrogPrince

• 60-something and loving it.
    • Cycle Somerset
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 10:36:08 pm »
Very pleased with my Click-stand........ also gets lots of comments.
Sell your Clothes but keep your thoughts.

sjacka

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 11:56:58 am »
Thanks Dan, allways tought that steel frame's where strong enough for a fixed bike stand. I don't want to ruin my beautiful club tour, so I probably look for a wall or something else to put my bike against.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 05:57:58 pm by sjacka »

il padrone

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 12:22:14 pm »

Pletscher Multi-zoom.

FrogPrince

• 60-something and loving it.
    • Cycle Somerset
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 01:38:49 pm »
I was using a Pletscher Multi-zoom on my bike when I went for my fitting for my New Raven. Andy B took one look at it and said with a note of disgust in his voice.....you're not going to use that on your new bike ..........like the size16 boot of God would squash me if I did .......I use a Click-stand and am very happy with it.
Sell your Clothes but keep your thoughts.

jags

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 01:50:42 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D and he was right,
give me a hedge a wall whatever any day to lean my bike.

il padrone

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 02:14:06 pm »
Well, that may be his opinion, but I have been using one with great success and happiness, on all sorts of surfaces. My son still has the Greenfield stay-mounted kickstand on my old frame, that was first fitted ten years ago now. I see little to dislike about the stands (rear-mounted, wide-stance) but am hearing a lot of prejudice  ;)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 02:31:41 pm by il padrone »

Planet X

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 03:38:00 pm »
Just about to pay for a Click Stand, everything measured up etc.......... BUT.............will not a frame fitting pump and Revelate Tangle bag get in the way on the top tube every time?

Would seem very tight. Must send pic. to Click Stand and ask them.

jags

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 04:06:46 pm »
does that bag not get in he way of your knees.i keep my knees pretty close to top tube when peddling.
sorry not the answer you wanted  ;D

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 04:39:51 pm »
I have used the Click-Stand behind the seat tube and under the seat stays. Looks like it will fit there from your photo.

You could order the smallest 'U' top bit for the Click-Stand. I think he does different sizes to fit different tube diameters.

Planet X

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 05:41:15 pm »
does that bag not get in he way of your knees.i keep my knees pretty close to top tube when peddling.
sorry not the answer you wanted  ;D

Not at all.

Planet X

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 05:44:09 pm »
I have used the Click-Stand behind the seat tube and under the seat stays. Looks like it will fit there from your photo.

You could order the smallest 'U' top bit for the Click-Stand. I think he does different sizes to fit different tube diameters.

Just waiting on a reply from him. Saw a few photos of "around the seat stays" alright on his gallery.

Then again, looking into making one myself also. Priced aluminium tent pole spares. Work with acrylic. Could knock one up easily enough.
We'll see.