Author Topic: Do Ortlieb hooks from FRONT rollers fit onto the REAR rollers (same generation)  (Read 15247 times)

cycling4chapatis

Dan, Il Padrone - thank you so much, cinch cords & aquarium tubing, here I come!

And while the topic is one bottle cages: I'm looking for ones to put on the the front fork (suss fork, no panniers). Shamelessly trying to copy Robin's setup (which is profile design cages at the front plus - ha! - cinch cords for 1.5l bottles), but from squinting at the Thorn pdfs I can't quite make out how they are secured to the fork. I presume hose-ties. So it's either that or these ones http://freeparable.com/monkiicage that come with a clip that fits the fork's lowers. I like that it already comes with a strap, but not sure about the one-narrow-point attachment re bumpy rides. Recommendation for big cages? I take it the Blackburn ones aren't easily sourced, so Salsa Anything...?

Cheerio,
c4c

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Aw, you're welcome c4c; Just want your trip prep to be hassle-free so you can have a nice departure on your wonderful adventure ahead.

<nods> The Blackburn B-52 Bomber cages are really outstanding for holding 1.5l water bottles, but are no longer available except used or as NOS (New Old Stock). They are exceptionally sturdy and have that rack of holes on the back for flexible placement in mounting. They do have one drawback, however. At the time they were designed, the Evian 1.5l bottle was king, and most commercially-available water containers hewed to that same standard. Now, water comes in a variety of container shapes and sizes and bottles vary in neck height and diameter and in overall height and diameter, so not every contemporary bottle will work ideally or even fit in the Bomber cages. It has not yet become a critical problem, but I can see it becoming more problematic over time as bottle shapes continue to become more individualized in an attempt to associate brand and shape for consumer attraction.

The Salsa Anything Cage is a leading contender, and has the advantage of a built-in velcro or webbing strap. I'm not sure how well whose would hold a bottle on a rough road unless the cage is nearly upright, as on your forks. The Salsa PDF give a good idea how it mounts: http://salsacycles.com/files/tech/5230_SAL_Anything_Inst_1.pdf

Apart from periodic reports of mounting tab failures on other fora (do a Google search for "Salsa Anything Cage Fail" [no quotes]), I don't think it would represent an immediate danger even on a front fork (the cage would rotate 'round the remaining tab, rather than into the spokes); the real concern I have would be how to mount it. This is one cage that doesn't appear amenable to hose clamp mounting, as you'll see from that PDF above. If 't'were me and I wanted to mount one on a fork, I think I'd try to get a bolt-on clamp mount, perhaps the very one Tubus use to adapt their Tara front racks to rigid forks that lack lowrider bosses. Not inexpensive, and here: http://www.bikebagshop.com/tubus-mid-fork-eyelets-for-tara-and-ergo-p-1031.html An alternative -- if the diameter matched your fork legs -- might be these in 27.2mm or 30.9mm OD by QBP: http://www.bike24.com/p212416.html

The ideas here might help: http://nordicgroup.us/cageboss/ or here: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/cyclocross/bottle-cages-frame-no-mounts-281521.html

TwoFish make a Kraton rubber-back version with velcro to hold a standard bottle cage in place, but I'd be a bit leery it could rotate into the front wheel

Our own NZPeterG rigged up some fork mounts on his Surly for his ill-fated Tour d'Afrique and I'm sure he'd be happy to offer tips.

I've done it in the past using Minoura handlebar bottle cage brackets turned sideways to grip a fork, using bolts longer than supplied to make up for the difference in diameter.

And, of course, there's Andy Blance. He's a very nice fellow, and I feel sure an email fired his way would result in a suggestion or two. If you do this, please let us know what he suggests, as it is bound to be helpful to others in future.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dan.

il padrone

No front rack on your suspension forks? People do it, in various ways. Tubus even make a nice front rack that can be fitted quite easily if you have brake bosses and a lower eyelet, the Smarti.

There are also clamp-on brackets available (again Tubus products) to provide a rack-mount

Then you can carry more in your panniers..... like a water bladder(s). You'll be able to carry more water in a bladder than you're ever going to mount on the frame/forks.

Like the MSR Dromedary 6L or 10L. Here's mine on the racktop

I've never much liked gadgets clamped to the forkblades with dodgy hoseclamps, ever since a mate came a very nasty cropper on a steep downhill caused by his fancy new light (horn?) rotating on the fork into the spokes  ::) :'(
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 03:39:00 am by il padrone »

cycling4chapatis

Hi again,

still stewing on the same considerations regarding carrying water and where/ how to carry it.

1. How much water to carry: obviously depends on where you are headed/ temperature, etc. That said, we've settled on being able to carry a day and a half worth of water supply. In three months of Africa we never needed more (where there's people, there's water. If you're paranoid, filter or chemically treat it, ideally boil it. Do any of you carry water filters with you? We have a MSR filter that we've never ever needed, which we're thinking of selling). Between us (80kg of me/ 50kg of my dear lady) we conservatively estimate about 12l/ day (drinking, cooking, brushing teeth, minimally cleaning pots/ yourself). Andy (not Robin - been getting the two muddled I realised, apologies!)& Fiona's figure in one of the Thorn pdf's is 11l/ day. Dan - I saw in some thread that you've got about that just for yourself plus 4l extra from memory = ca. 3 days? We figure that if we needed more than 1.5days of supplies extra 1.5l bottles are easy to come by, 4 extra/person = another day.

In short, to begin with we want capacity for 18l between us.

2. Back to where to place them. Currently we've got the three Profile Design cages as recommended by Thorn. Minus one for holding the fuel bottle, that's 5. Two will hold 1l slurp-as-you-ride bottles = 2l. Leaves three for 1.5l local plastic fizzy-stuff/water bottles = 4.5l. Still a long way to go till we're at 18l...Placing 2 bottle cages on each fork leg similar to Andy&Fiona's setup gives an additional 4x1.5l = 6l...which would barely get us over 1day of supply. Further squinting at the Thorn pdfs shows that they are also Profile Design cages with laces for extra holding-on safety, but not sure how they are connected the fork. And an additional complication is that they were/are using V-brakes and our disc brakes might get in the way a bit, at least to get them further south. The reason I was so keen on the rig was to get weight off the back to minimise the wear on the rear tyre and minimise risk of busting spokes. Reading around regarding centre of gravity, it seems the short summary is: when you're slow you want it low, when you ride faster it actually gets easier when it's higher. Another variable that we'll want to place more weight on my bike to even out speeds/ efforts a bit. Having stared at "Tom's bike trip" Tom's setup (no front panniers, admittedly an extra wheel, but then mostly solo = i.e. not halving tent/ stove/ tools etc)  a bit more and being optimistic about the quality/ capacities of the Nomads, I feel the rear would be able to carry a fair bit extra.

In short, where to place another 10l+ of carrying capacity on bikes with no front panniers and no trailer?

3. Narrowing down the options: contenders are a MSR bladder, Monkii clips plus their "V" 'off-road' cages and possibly Profile design cages mounted in an 'Andy- approved' manner (i.e. no hose clamps. Dan - I agree with that 'nordicgroup''s sentiment of not using hose clamps. Had a hose-clamp mounted front rack fail on us in African back waters. If you are reading this and thinking of putting anything >1kg off a hose-clamp mount - don't do it, they rattle south and damage whatever they are wrapped around). So how to decide:

- capacity: 1 10l MSR Dromedary on the rear rack  wins. (I like that a lot Il Padrone, very neat! - the photo you linked shows it aligned with riding direction, couldn't quite make out the other close-up one - is it mounted across in that one? )

- cost: one Monkii clip is 10GBP, one cages is another 13GBP. 90GBP for four of them is bit rough, especially given that the MSR is a third of that.

- simplicity: MSR wins.

- weight distribution: as far as handling goes I doubt there is little difference between carrying 3kg (2x1.5l) down on the fork vs. 3 extra kg on the rear rack . Don't you think? The Thorn pdf says that the 590L can carry about 30kg on the rear rack. I very much hope to be under 20kg luggage, so a 10l Dromedary would be ok. Obviously I'd pack to get the centre of gravity of the rear Ortlieb Rollers + rack pack as close to the bottom bracket as I can (see the Thorn pdf's - the rack bag tucked right under the saddle).

4. Options:

- not considering costs: I'd say 4 Monkii combos (2 on each of our forks) plus a 6l bladder on my rack.

- considering costs: only a 10l bladder on my rack, no cages on the forks

- left-field option: 'Andy-approved' (is one of this forum's Andy's THE Andy?) Profile design cages plus 6l bladder

- inbetween option: 10l bladder and only 2 cages monkii/profile design on my fork only

- total re-plan option: the 4 Monkii cage option is nearly half the cost of an extrawheel...

This can't be that hard, but it's tormenting my head and our bank card is still quivering in a corner from the preparations to this trip...

Advice - much appreciated!
Cheerio,
c4c

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Hi C4C!

Looking at your questions, I'll take them one at a time and tell you what I do. Others will surely do differently, but this is how I go about it for my self-supported, extended desert tours where potable water is often unavailable due to alkali contamination (which cannot be filtered), requiring me to pack my own for use in sometimes extreme heat (air temps of 125°F/52°C and ground temps of 140°F/60°C in extremely low humidity).
1. How much water to carry
For the conditions above I carry as much as 26.5l maximum, which also means 26.5kg as well. I carry 6.6l on the bike; two 1l Zefal magnum water bottles in cages cable-tied onto my steerer where they do no affect the handling. The remainder is carried in three 1.5l bottles in Blackburn B-52 Bomber bottle cages, two inside the main frame triangle and one below, all attached to Thorn's frame bosses.

The remainder of my water is carried in two 10l MSR Dromedary water bags. This has not proven to be very satisfactory for my needs, as I have found my bags quickly developed a very foul odor (smells like scorched rubber) and taste (same, with a chemical aftertaste). I have been careful to always dry the bags and to not store water for extended periods in them, and no mildew is present (one bag took awhile to develop the smell and taste; the other did so overnight). Despite MSR-recommended treatments with hot water and baking soda, the solution is only temporary and returns almost immediately. Online reviews indicate this sometimes happens, and MSR assures customers it is not a health hazard. I understand it may be due to bromine in municipal water supplies, and I live 0.8km south of the water plant, but the new bag developed the problem using only bottled water, so I view my MSR Dromedaries with mixed feelings.
2. Back to where to place them
If taking only one 10l bag, I place it atop my rear rack and lash it securely alongside my tent/footprint and the dry sack with my sleeping bag, pad, silk bag liner and air pillow. If I take both bags and no trailer, then I place the dromedaries in the bottom of each rear pannier. If I am taking the trailer, then the bags go in the panniers on the trailer. The bags are not wholly waterproof over time and on rough roads, water will express itself through the walls of the bag, raising humidity inside my waterproof Ortliebs. I fear it could precipitate mildew formation over time, so that is why prefer them atop the rear rack, outside the bags. If only one, I will often align it lengthwise on the rack to keep weight low and serve as a "base layer" beneath the tent and sleep system sack. I sometimes place the crosswise, depending on the load. It seems to work out ether way, but I make sure to bleed off all excess air in the Dromedary so the water doesn't slosh and affect handling. It also makes a more compact load, becoming only as large as the water it carries.

On all ordinary tours, the 6.5l on bottles mounted to the bike itself is plenty.
In short, where to place another 10l+ of carrying capacity on bikes with no front panniers and no trailer?
Dunno; that's going to be 10kg (1l fluid water capacity=1kg of mass + the container), a lot in one place. When taking less than maximum capacity, I sometimes fill ech 10l MSR Dromeday partly full and place one in each rear pannier for better handling. The 10l models weigh only slightly more than the 6l or 4l models, and allow you to roll the excess, taking minimal room if not filled to capacity. Perhaps they could be carried in a frame bag or lashed to the frame, but then you would not have room for conventional bidon mounts. I should note a 10l bag is large enough capacity to fit with a shower adapter and will provide a nice shower; a dark-colored bag will heat quickly in the sun and makes a nice way to end a dusty day before turning in for bed. If mine is less than full, I try to top-off my bags at a stream, creek, or cattle trough just before making camp, being mindful to purify the lot 1l at a time with my Steri-Pen Classic UV water purifier. Even though it will soon be "shower water", I'll be drinking from the same bag later, so the contents have to be potable and safe.
no hose clamps. Dan - I agree with that 'nordicgroup''s sentiment of not using hose clamps.
<nods> Agreed, c4c. Hose clamps can fail in a variety of ways, none pretty. I still pack a couple in my kit for emergency use, but they're only for that.
n short, to begin with we want capacity for 18l between us...Back to where to place them.
Here's a suggestion to consider, though it might take some creative sourcing and mounting:

• Two 1l Zefal Magnum bottles in CatEye nylon cages on the steerer = 2l.
• Two Salsa Anything cages, one on each fork blade, holding 1.5l bottle each = 3l.
• Three Blackburn B-52 Bomber cages or two Anything cages on the three Thorn frame mounts, each carrying 1.5l = 4.5l
That adds up to 9.5l each bike. If you had to reduce that to two Anything cages for 1.5l bottles and 1 conventional cage with 1l Magnum bottle under the BB, that would reduce capacity to 9l. In either case, two bikes setup like that would meet your desired 18l capacity between you.
• A rolled-up 10l bag apiece (remember, the weight is little more than the smaller-capacity versions) would provide extra capacity when needed and allow lashing to the rear rack at whatever partial or full capacity. At maximum capacity, you could carry as much as 19l per bike, virtually doubling your capacity and that might be nice if you need to carry it for only short distances.

One concern I have about putting a lot of weight in bottles on the lower suspension stanchions is how it might affect the fork's damping action. That's a lot of mass in unsprung weight, drawing on my automotive background. Andre will surely have some thoughts here as well. As for mounting the Anything cages to the fork lowers, I'd be inclined to use the Tubus clamp-on lowrider mounts. Though it would be sort of expensive, it would be a lasting solution that I believe would remain secure, provided they were torqued to spec and secured with LocTite. I urge caution not to overtighten any clamp to a point where the fork lowers could be distorted.
Reading around regarding centre of gravity, it seems the short summary is: when you're slow you want it low, when you ride faster it actually gets easier when it's higher.
Though it relates to frame design and is directed to how bottom-bracket height affects handling, an article written some years ago by Rivendell's Grant Petersen called "The Stilt-Step Factor" speaks to this to some degree. A few copies are still around on the 'Net. Thorn's relatively high-trail geometry does especially well carrying a lot of weight at the rear. Low-trail bikes tend to do better if the weight is carried on the front and neutral handlers don't care so much one way or the other.

As for weight placement, I try to get mine as low and as far toward the center of the bike (in every way, side-to-side and fore-aft) as possible to minimize the effect of mass on handling. Yet another option: I sometimes pack one MSR 10l Dromedary crosswise atop my Thorn Expedition rear rack forward mounting tangs, *ahead* of my rack-top load. This way, it is as far forward as possible, while still being as low as possbile outside the bags, about he same position as a true saddlebag, but lower and more stable. Depending on frame size, that space may be going to waste otherwise. Doesn't interfere with my legs on my 590M Nomad, and places the mass very close to my own so handling is little affected.

As for the fuel bottle (freeing up one more spot for a water bidon), I carry mine inside my bags. I have a Sigg .5l and a Brunton 1l and choose between them depending on how long I'll be gone away from resuppy. I use a SIGG gasketed cap on each bottle and have never had fumes escape or collect in my bags. I most often burn white gas (naphtha/Coleman fuel) in my multi-fuel stove, and occasionally automotive unleaded petrol in the areas where naphtha is unavailable. The stove will also burn kerosene, No. 2 heating oil, and JP-4 jet fuel. I have seen some clever solutions on long-wheelbase derailleur bikes where the fuel bottle is carried horizontally. Depending in size, I have also seen them carried under the saddle rails in a bottle cage using a tri-athlete's mount. Extra water can be carried there as well, and those under-saddle mounts are widely available in two-cage models as well. If you used Zefal 1l Magnum bottles, that's an extra 2l capacity of...something, be it fuel or water. Depending on angle, the bottle could clear a rack-top load. Here's just one example: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tacx-t6202-undersaddle-bracket-bottle-cage-prod18713/ Here's another using Andy Blance's preferred Profile bottle cages: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/profile-design-aqua-rear-mounted-double-bottle-cage-standard-prod20426/

Just some thoughts from someone who has to carry huge masses of water more often than he wants to. Hope this helps in some way. Others will be along shortly with equally valid ideas that work well for them.

Best,

Dan.

EDIT: Have you seen the Bike Buddy bottle carriers? Here: http://bikebuddy.co.uk/
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 09:04:54 am by Danneaux »

macspud

I can't seem to find the photo now but I can remember seeing a Thorn Nomad with an extra bottle cage mounted behind the seat tube. There is enough room for this depending on tyre size and mudguard usage. It's would be worth checking if it's possible with your set up as it keeps the weight low down and central.
I'm not sure what web site I saw it on but I'll try to find it, might have been on CGOAB.

I did find this site: http://www.deluiefietser.nl/home/thorn-nomad-mk2/
In the photo of the packed Nomad, there is a small frame bag behind the seat tube which is used to carry a 5 liter Ortlieb water bag.
Google tranlated version (to see expanded photos use original link): http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.deluiefietser.nl%2Fhome%2Fthorn-nomad-mk2%2F
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 08:45:26 am by macspud »

cycling4chapatis

Hi there, again - many thanks for helping me nut this out!

I hadn't thought of the Ortlieb waterbags! The're just over half the price of the MSRs...getting two 10l ones, placing them in one of the rear locations mentioned and filling mine first/ emptying it last before weighing down my dear companion seems to be the simplest/ cheapest/ highest volume option (both full + other bottles would get us to >25l, which strikes me as plenty (anyone cycled central/ south america? bar the initial hot, but likely highly populated tropical/ subtropical part I doubt we'll see anything majorly above 30degrees C, if at all, so that volume would definitely cover 2 days off-tap).

Dan - I've admired your steerer two-bottle contraption in other threads. Indeed a rather nifty postion. My current difficulty is that our bikes are sitting paid&wrapped in SJS HQ, half a globe away, so I can't quite tell how the Magura fork, accessory bar, stem etc would allow for this. But thinking about it some more, I'm warming to it. You only used zip-ties? (could you link those photos you posted again, can't find them in that endless thread of your beast!) And fairly simple cages, eh? <$30 sans bottles?

Bikebuddy, Monkii cages - both look rather promising and forum seems to be thumbs up for both, but then how to attach them to the forks? Monkii clips 10GBP/ piece or the Tubus option/ $20-40 per fork...all getting a bit out proportion vs. the Ortlieb (or even MSR) sacks, don't you think? Monkii would be 90GBP (4clips/ 4 cages)/ 6l = ca. $25/l...vs. Ortlieb at $4/l carried. Greater 6x the price just to shift the weight a little and not even all of it...not convinced.

Bikebuddy - not sure whether that even fits the forks (38mm diameter), anyone got one in the mk1 version - i.e. not using existing frame cage fittings?

Without deus-ex-machina Andy Blance appearing and revealing how/ why he attached the profile design cages to their forks, I'm more and more off stuffing around sticking my water on that part of the bike.

Re chemical taste...seems to be common for both MSR and Ortlieb...the differing user experience might be due to heat exposure. If the bag is regularly sun-heated (even incidentally) on the rack/ in the panniers, the water will easily get >50degrees C...at which point you're essentially tea-bagging the lining and leaching out whatever is just about water soluable. Until the tea-bag is 'empty' it'll keep coming. Fair/ foul weather riders (Europe) might rarely get their bags to the cozy conditions your US deserts or the Kenyan/ Australian sun can achieve, hence the varying experiences. If that's the case - white linen around it? Or even shiny/tin foil?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
[wrt to Dan's steerer-mounted waterbottle cages]...could you link those photos you posted again...
Hi c4c!

Sure! Here ya go, with full mounting details: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=6073.msg37919#msg37919 A surprisingly inexpensive solution. I use Zéfal Magnum 1l bottles and have been very pleased with them and they fit standard cages. They don't leak at all provided one tightens the top securely. The trick is to hold the bottom and the lid and twist in opposite directions.

That black thing you see in the upper-left corner over the cable ties is my swing-away bottlecap lifter, vital to enjoyment of my preferred Jarritos Mexican soda pop drink. For details on the opener, see: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3821.msg16510#msg16510

You might want to take a look at Andre's interesting approach to adding water bottles; it might find some application to your needs [read down from here to end]: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4220.msg19399#msg19399

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 08:08:18 am by Danneaux »

mickeg

If I was going to try to mount one or two cages on a tall steerer tube, I would use a pair of these instead of the zip ties.  Being an engineer, I prefer mechanical things to be a bit more sturdy than zip ties.
http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/xlc-alloy-seatpost-clamp-with-rack-mount-28-6mm-black