Author Topic: New Hatching  (Read 20641 times)

john28july

Re: New Hatching
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2006, 12:20:34 pm »
Sunday 29th October 2006. First proper ride on the Thorn Raven Tour. 30 miles.
Comments. I think I will be able to adapt/accomodate the MTB style bars once I get another pair with a slightly different shape. The gears I will also get used to quite easily. The silience, now thats a real surprise. Having read many comments on the Rohloff I was expecting loads of noise, but what I have is a unatural silience in all except 7 and 6 gears. I can honestly see why SJSC have no worry offering a 100 day trial period. I think it most unlikely that many are returned!
I think it will be a good camping/tourer and maybe the Nomad will be replaced with something???
John.
www.pbase.com/john28july

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2006, 06:23:43 am »
Rohloff Noise. I think that this has always being an over publicised problem.  I also think that maybe the production process has improved so new hubs are less noisy than those of 5 years ago.  My hub is from 2003 (only one year in a Thorn) and although not noisy it is also not silent.  It has seen about 6000 miles over which time it has got quieter.  However 5,7,12,14 are still noticeable.  The other gears are as quite or better than a derailleur.  One bonus is that I know when I am in 7th gear and know to back of a bit before changing to 8th.  

It might be all in my head but the noise doesn’t decrease linearly with time but rather decreases in random step changes (especially after an oil change).

freddered

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2006, 06:13:57 am »
If Buck Rogers had been (will be?) a Postman in the 25th Century he'd ride that.  Looks good.