Author Topic: Rough Rohloff?  (Read 3893 times)

lo_toad

Rough Rohloff?
« on: June 08, 2006, 07:34:12 pm »
Hi,

Sorry to post my problems on here again, but hopefully the collective brain can work its wonders!

I have just gor the Raven Tour out of the garage for maintenance before a summer trip and I am feeling a little worried about the 'feeling' from my Rohloff.

I know they are noisy but when I am pedalling hard the feedback through the pedals feels sort of clunky. Its a very hard sensation to describe but it sort of feels like pedalling on fine cobbles!?. I have isolated it to the Rohloff (i.e. not the pedal bearings or BB) but I am unsure what to do now.

I also have an intermittent high pitched clicking when freewheeling in certain gears which I am sure never used to be there.

Does anyone have any ideas? - It only has ~3000miles on it so would a trip back to SJS be recommended?

Thanks in advance for any info or advice!

James.

PH

Re: Rough Rohloff?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 10:04:56 pm »
Has it been out of use for a while?  I've laid mine up twice, for a couple of months each time, both times it's seemed rough for the first couple of rides afterwards.  I've no idea why, maybe the oil settles at the bottom of the hub and it needs rotating to redistribute it, that's a wild guess.  Probably best to ring the experts.

freddered

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 12:39:04 am »
My Raven Tour was smooth in gears 8 and above.  I sent it for a frame swap and now I have an issue with an annoying noise/feeling somewhere in the drive-chain.  I described it in the Forum as an intermittent, faint,  'square' bearing sensation.  I think it could be bottom bracket but it's hard to tell when under load.  Today I noticed that gear 12 made a very (very) faint whirring where previously it was totally silent and that whirring may be present in gear 7 (it's tougher to say in 7th).

Freewheeling hasn't changed, it's still noisy as ever but I can cope with that.  It's just that the aforementioned problems were not there previously.

Also I must say to anyone reading this, they are almost unnoticable.  Nothing like a chain rubbing against a cage but I'd appreciate some views from SJSC.

Ramsey Neil

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 12:46:32 am »
I had a problem similar to the one you describe and it was caused by me changing a puncture and then tightening the rear quick release too much and squeezing the hub too tight in the dropouts .

Ramsey Neil

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 12:52:51 am »
I had this problem after changing a puncture and what I had done was to tighten the Quick release too tight , this gave a rough feeling that I thought was the BB on its way out but on slackening the tension on the QR it went away and I experimented by overtightening the QR again and got the same symptoms . I don't think Rohloffs like to be squeezed too tighly .

freddered

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 12:53:07 am »
Thanks, I'll check that 1st thing tomorrow morning.  I haven't removed the wheel but for sure it was removed during frame swap at SJSC.  I hope it's that but then that raises the question, "How tight is tight?"

PH

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 07:35:16 pm »
Just remembered something else.  I over tightened the gear cables once and that made it sound rough. I think it wasn't dropping into gear properly.

lo_toad

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 12:23:59 pm »
Hi guys, thanks for the replies, I'm glad its not just me who has had this problem. Something has definately 'changed' since I last rode it. Will check the gear cables and post back.

lo_toad

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 12:26:40 pm »
* definitely