Author Topic: the best bike you ever owned  (Read 7059 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: the best bike you ever owned
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2013, 06:38:06 pm »
Hi All!

I have three "best bikes", not so much based on spec', but on what they have done for me and my enjoyment/accomplishment in cycling.

Chronologically...
First would be my 1977 Nishiki Olympic 'cos it was my first "real" bicycle, to my way of thinking. Compared to the Little Red Bike hand-me-down boyhood bike, the Schwinn Sting-Ray, and the Schwinn Varsity with its wicked-great amounts of toe overlap and magnetic attraction to guardrails, the Nishiki road like a dream. It was my Freedom Machine and I rode it regularly 8,000-12,000mi/13,000-19,000km each year as an under grad at Uni. Though it "only" had a plain-gauge high-carbon steel frame and steel rims when I got it, it also had gorgeous lugwork, great build quality and geometry, the sweetest ride, and was relatively lightweight at 28lb/12.7kg. I rode it 22,000mi/35,000km, then my father added another 13,000mi/21,000km of heavy loaded touring, and it never let either of us down. It is hanging in the garage now, each of us too sentimental to ever let it go. And why should we? With decades of upgrades, it still rides nicely and is a real pleasure to take out from time to time.

Second of my all-time "best bikes" is my blue rando bike, a 1983/84 Centurion ProTour 15. Comfortable carrying a maximum touring load of 56lb/26kg on logging roads, it also never leaves me feeling beat-up after a 400km day on pavement. Viceless handling, responsive, and relatively light at 33lb/15kg, it is the nicest all-'rounder I've ever owned. With well over 28,000mi/45,000km on the clock, it still feels new to me and brings a smile with every ride.

Third on the list chronologically is my most recent bike, the Thorn Nomad Mk2. The ideal expedition touring bike I'd been looking for to carry sometimes-enormous loads for extended stays in the back-of-beyond, it is now also a reasonable and fun if somewhat heavy all-'rounder, thanks to the addition of a Thudbuster seatpost to take the edge off bumps when riding unladen. I like the Rohloff particularly well because it almost perfectly duplicates the durable half-step-and-granny/5-cog gearing on the blue rando bike, one of my all-time favorites. The low-maintenance reliability is icing on the cake. It makes a workable road bike that allows the freedom to take any little dirt track I happen to pass and makes both enjoyable.

The tandem would have to figure in here somewhere as a "best bike" of sorts, but doesn't see the use the blue rando bike and Nomad do. Between those two, the whole spectrum of nearly all my riding is nicely covered and as a result, the other bikes just don't see as much use as they once did.

Best (bike),

Dan.

JWestland

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 04:53:34 pm »
I've owned not that many bikes in my life...

Nr1: So far the XTC is number one the frame just feels nice. Yes. Very scientific I know...just that feeling you're on the bike and go "Gosh what a nice bike this is".

Nr2: The same with the vintage Ciocc, old non ergo levers are AWWWWWWWWWFULLLLLLLLLLLL for a hood rider like me but the bike tracks absolutely lovely. It's also, for a change, exactly my size.

*reminds me I need to do some work on it, better tape + locktite that BB that keeps going loose..!*

I quite enjoy my Charge Hob fixed, it's going for a Gazelle Piste (track) now let's see who rides best. I go by feel as you can see/read. No experience with "plastic" bikes I fear, or good alu bikes.

Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 06:27:14 pm »
I go by feel as you can see/read.
This can be a very good way to tell which bike *is* best for your needs. I'm a big believer in "feel" being the result of a thousand-million unconscious and subconscious evaluations resulting in an aggregate, summary evaluation -- Good or Not Good, Best, Worst, or Just Okay.

If you like it, you'll know! If not...you'll know as well!

Best,

Dan. (...who believes sometimes it really *is* about impressions, and that's Okay)

Templogin

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2014, 04:43:10 pm »
Most of my bikes have been used when I got them, either from sellers or the junkyard.  I think that I have only bought one new for myself.

My two favourite are relatively recent buys: a Thorn eXp, this thing has been indulged with too many top grade extras for me to have bought it new, my second choice is my Moulton APB 21 Land Rover edition.  I have a more expensive Moulton, but prefer the combined derailleur and hub gear system.  Having ridden the Rohloff equipped Thorn though everything else seems like a poor relation.

The very worst, by an extremely long margin has to be my Strida SX, ridden two miles since new at least a couple of years since.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 04:44:57 pm by Templogin »

Andre Jute

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 06:32:41 pm »
Well, that saves me buying a Strida and being disappointed. I always thought it looked too cute to be true.

ians

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2014, 08:59:29 am »
I met the original designer of the Strida, Mark Sanders, in the mid-1980s (as part of an Open University project on product design) and he let me borrow one to try out. The original idea was good I thought, very quick to fold.  But not for going too far - especially if you're tall. 

Templogin

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2014, 09:16:17 am »
It is a fantastic thing to hang on a wall, but the combination of small wheels, ultra-short wheelbase and very narrow bars make it a perilous ride.  Sanders' If bike is so much better, bit needs more gears.

ians

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2014, 10:15:05 pm »
It is a fantastic thing to hang on a wall

yes it is - he offered to let me have an early one at a discount and I regret not buying it.

jags

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2014, 10:23:23 pm »
gonna have to google this strida see what it looks like.

ah no lads that does nothing for me sorry.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 10:25:47 pm by jags »

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2014, 06:32:36 pm »
I've still got two of my three besties:

No. 1 is my Nomad Mk2 Atilla, finally sorted almost to perfection! Gold stars for comfort, load carrying, gearing, ease of use and reliability. Bronze star for speed.

No. 2 and 3 is a toss-up - I used to have (and wish fervently I hadn't given it away!) a Bridgestone Antares LDT circa 1983, which was beautiful, comfortable and FAST. The only drawback was the down tube shifters (Suntour), which I hated because it forced my hands off the bars, although I got pretty good at one-handed simultaneous front and back gear changing. Google this bike. Mine was metallic blue, and it came fully equipped with racks, mudguards and a space age water bottle that would only fit it's unique bidon holder. It'd be a collector's item now if I could get hold of one.

I still have its replacement - a sweet Trek 520 with Deore LX drivetrain and bar end shifters. I have pimped this ride with Brooks bar tape and saddle, VO handlebar and other shiny goodies. I love it because it's fast, rolls really well and looks GREAT, but alas, I'm getting too old and stiff to ride down low where the bar is. I could replace the (quill) stem I suppose, but the Nomad has usurped my heart. My wife's Raven step-through has similarly replaced her (15 years newer) Trek 520, which hasn't been ridden since red Honoria came home!

Finally, mountain bikes and other toys aside, like most of us I have wonderful memories of my first bike, a heavy steel coaster brake single speed which was bullet proof and built like a tank. It was dark brown! My mom used to freak at how I'd dismount the bike at speed upon arrival home, using (and grinding off) the sole of my sneaker to slow to a stop. I'd simultaneously pull my big sister on skates and little brother on his skooter all over the neighborhood at great speed, eventually throwing them off in tangles of arms and legs! Ah, the memories!  ;D

Slammin!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 06:35:58 pm by Slammin Sammy »

Pavel

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2014, 08:13:09 pm »
my 1976 Peugeot ... definitely the best bike ever! It went about twice as fast as my current bikes and I don't remember any discomfort whatsoever on that steed.  As I remember it, the bike would climb hills with no effort - heck, I don't think I even sweated at all while on that fabulous machine, even in 40 degree C heat.

Yeah.  I sure do miss it.

In about ten years I will, of course, be saying the same thing about my Nomad! :D

sd

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2014, 03:51:12 pm »
An old and battered Saracen. Bought it at a police auction about 18years ago. Still got it but stopped using it about 3 years ago when I bought my Thorn Raven Enduro. Front wheel disc rear wheel rim. Replaced the rear wheel 5 times as I wore out the rims (cheaper than rebuilding the wheel). No idea how many times I replaced the cassette chain and chain wheel. Ran a few derailleurs into the wheel as well. Once snapped of the derailleurs cycling home with 2 very big compost bins strapped too a single wheel trailer. I had detoured from my route to call in for a few pints. So I had to sit in pub till mate turned up to give me a lift home. He charged me a compost bin not much of a favour.
     As I now have 4 bikes it will have to go. The two Rohloff equipped ones are going nowhere, a third with disc front and rear is a snow/ice bike. It is fitted permanently with ice tyres and just left in a shed in case. Mind it got me to the pub and back on sheet ice for a couple of weeks a few years back. Not sure the Saracen is worth selling, if it is I think it will need stripping to be worth selling. Probably just give it to someone who has does me a favour.... Begrudgedly!!!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 04:25:47 pm by sd »

jags

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2014, 04:16:07 pm »
say SD post a few photos of your surroundings I'm dead curious to see your part of the world.

jags.

sd

« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2014, 04:29:29 pm »
Not at home at the moment stuck in horrible Manchester. May be here for another 2 weeks although I may kill myself before then.

sd

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2014, 04:33:32 pm »
 Found this on my tablet and put it on photo bucket. Easy peasy

« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 04:35:33 pm by sd »