Author Topic: Axe the Axa?  (Read 6900 times)

il padrone

Re: Axe the Axa?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 02:59:00 pm »
What about using a couple of cable-ties around your brake bridge and across the top of the lock body, to hold it down and in the correct position? I had to do this with my Abus Amparo as it was wobbling a bit against the frame despite the big plastic straps being fully tightened.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 04:19:36 pm »
Nice idea. Thanks.
A kinda get me home solution. I like that kind
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 05:48:17 pm »
Hi Matt!

Nice, nice job with the photos!

Boy, I don't mind admitting I'm baffled here as well. As you can see from the photo I attached below, our strap-winders look the same, and mine works so yours should as well. If anything, your AXA's strap-winder castings are smoother than mine, and mine turns fine.

There's nothing obvious like a broken strap or a lost end or a worn worm drive pinion gear. The strap-winder assembly looks well-seated in its wells. The strap-end anchors are well seated. The worm gear looks a little high compared to the pinion gear (the one with thescrewdriver slot), but not excessively so; the pinion should still engage it.
Is it strange that both sides appear to have gone at the same time?
I'm not sure, Matt; these things stay tight, mostly, unless there's a lot of forward force on them with the bolt thrown shut. Then, all that is usually needed is a simple tightening of the screws.

The strap-winders themselves are pretty foolproof. If the screws are turned the wrong way, nothing happens except the screw backs out. If turned the right way, they should tighten so there must be something we're missing in this case.

Good news is, the straps and strap-winder assemblies are available as inexpensive replacements and I believe I'd give it a fresh start if nothing in the way of an obvious fault comes to light.

Dunno, Matt. I'll have to give this some more thought, as a ready answer isn't coming to me. Anyone Out There with some additional suggestions?

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 07:24:45 pm by Danneaux »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 06:55:59 am »
Thanks  Dan.
May I know how you removed your assembly?
I didn't try too hard but it didn't want to pop out easily.
I left it be, in case I damaged it.

Matt

I also tried to turn the ratchet with a screw driver blade. But it didn't want to budge.
This means the straps are on but not tight.
So the Axa is fixed to the bike!
Not sure I want to start cutting the sharps when they are right up against the frame stays.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 01:42:27 pm »
Decided to remove the Axa.
Screws would not turn ( mesh together) so took out the first short screw with a screwdriver and then prised off the longer of the 2 which then allowed me to remove the metal bands.

I have emailed the folk who supplied my replacement keys a few months ago.
(I then found the 'missing' keys, so I have 4 for the lock.)
And I have asked if they can supply replacement parts.
Not had a reply as I type.

Anyone obtained such parts? If so - when - where - how much?
Thanks folks
Matt

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 07:18:48 pm »
Hi Matt!

Well done on getting the lock off. When it comes time to put it back on, this might help:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGYt7SDTZOo

Yes, replacement mounting straps and winders are available, either separately or as sets, and all for reasonable prices (£4 or less). That's how I purchased mine. I got mine from Cantitoe Road ( http://www.cantitoeroad.com/bike-locks/frame-locks-mounting-hardware/flexible-mounting-bracket-for-defender-frame-lock ) and Dutch Bike Bits (alternate ATB Kit here: http://www.dutchbikebits.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=52 ), but a number of online shops carry them. ReallyUsefulBikes in the UK has them for only £4.00 for the complete kit including strap-winders: http://www.reallyusefulbikes.co.uk/_shop/security/fitting-kit-for-axa-defender-locks/ A Google search for "AXA Defender Strap Mounting Kit" (no quotes) will get you what you need.

Best,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2014, 11:05:11 pm »
Thanks Dan.
I had done a search but hadn't turned up those links.
Are you using Google plus for.your searches?
 :D
I will contact them when I get back from my weekend away.

All aong this problem I have followed the WWDD principle.
It usually gets me out of a jam.

Matt

WWDD principle?

What would Dan do.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 08:29:34 am »
 ;D

All the best,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 05:59:23 pm »
Just received today a pair of adjusting straps and screws for the Axa.

Really Useful Bikes from Bristol supplied them for £5.50. Including postage.
Arrived within 2 days.
Great service and a nice chat with with Bob - the owner.

When the weather improves I will attempt the fitting.
 ::)
Matt

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 06:43:41 pm »
Wonderful news, Matt; very happy for you.

Just a tip in advance: When affixing the lock with these, it is helpful to fit both at once loosely and then tighten evenly, alternating. I used a couple small pieces of tape to hold the lock in place even (side-to-side and top-to-bottom) till I could tighten the straps evenly. Be sure to remove the tape promptly so it won't leave residue on your paint.

You'll do fine; no worries!

Best,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2014, 05:28:05 pm »
Mrs. Matt was out working this afternoon ( well, someone has to keep me in the custom I deserve  ;) ) - so I had the house and kitchen to myself.
What better location to fix the new Axa straps?
Warm and dry.

Job done.
Many thanks for that Youtube link, Dan. Only problem I had was feeding the strap back into the mechanism. The brakes were in the way. On the Youtube clip there appeared to be no brakes!

With Mrs. Matt not due back from work for another 3 hours, this gave me time to check out the bottom bracket, chain and then peddles.

May I continue here, under the Axa thread?
Please move me, if appropriate.

Chain was slack so decided to move bottom bracket. Don't have that tool you mentioned Dan, so used a spanner and then levered the bracket sprocket adjusters with a big screw driver, to take up chain slack.

Screws removed in picture above. Am I correct in thinking that is is the small pointy bits that bite into the bottom bracket and stop it rotating? Don't sound right to me - but then I don't build bikes.  :D

Picture above, you can see the adjusting mech. / cog. ( proper name? ) It's still covered in sand from yesterdays trip.  :(

I had 2 or 3 goes at getting the chain tightened. First go - after the 2 bolts were tightened, the chain appeared to tighten up too much.
I tried again and the chain finished up too tight.
Third time lucky - it stayed as I wanted.
Is there a trick to this? What was I doing wrong? I set it correctly - not too tight - not too loose. And then when the bolts were done up - the chain had a lot less slack than I thought correct.

Does the inside of the bottom bracket ever need greasing? Mine rotated fine so I left well alone.

Next up was the pedals
MKS Lambda. Had them 3 years. No problems. Like them a lot. Plenty of grip and wide for my fat feet.
Discovered the end cap was missing from one of them.

Any thoughts on potential damage awaiting me, pedal wise?

Think the company Zyro imports them so will contact them tomorrow.
Could the bearings inside be damaged? They both spin well at the moment. The one with the missing cap has a dent in - so looks like it came off after a spill. :o

Many thanks folks for comments and in-put.

Matt

geocycle

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2014, 07:55:47 pm »
Good to see your workshop has a kitchen attached! I also get a change in tension as I tighten the bolts. I find this less if I tighten each a bit at a time.  Don't be afraid to tighten them well they just gouge into the aluminium which is thick enough at one side. 

I do grease the Eccentric bottom bracket, mainly to prevent rust on the shell surfaces.  The loss of the plastic caps off your pedals will allow water ingress.  I'd bung loads of grease in and the find something as a temporary stopper.